Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Future of the Program

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by EastTNG8TR, Jul 20, 2021.

Who do you want to see as the HC of the WBB program in 22-23?

1. Kelly Rae Finley

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Becky Hammon

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. Karl Smesko

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. Gail Goestenkors

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Delisha Milton

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  6. Muriel Page

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Melanie Balcomb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Chris Daily

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  9. Katie Abrahamson-Henderson

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. Other...

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2011
    I know, but he never says he knows he shouldn't. Kinslow simply states he would say he liked their hair but he wouldn't touch because he knew he shouldn't. To me that is assuming he was being racist by simply saying he liked their hair. That doesn't add up for me, but again. It's irrelevant. I can't imagine touching any women's hair is appropriate, but I do get the micro aggression idea of something being "other". This just isn't a case IMO. Regardless... he is gone, and I think some more likely need to follow. Years of this being hidden is not good.

2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    How is that racist? He is a married man, he shouldn’t touch another woman’s hair. He is also their coach, he shouldn’t be touching their hair. Touching their hair could easily be pushed as sexual harassment.

Nothing wrong with complimenting hair. In fact that is the opposite of abuse. That’s building them up.

Now why he added “I can’t touch it” is a bit weird. But of course we don’t know exactly how that convo went down.

Either way that’s such an odd part of the story that it hurts the overall credibility of the report

• Like Like x 1
  3. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    You're missing the point. Whether you or I think it's racist isn't important -- I'm telling you it's a thing. Do a Google search -- there are a lot of articles that talk about it being a form of micro aggression. it seems weird to me, but it's not about me. That's why the "I know I can't touch it" is important, because he was both acknowledging and mocking the racial component. Again, it doesn't matter whether you or I or anyone else think of it as racist, or if we've ever head or considered it a racial thing. But plenty of people do, and that's the point.

The other thing is, if you're in a position of authority over someone, there's plenty wrong with complementing their appearance. If you're a man in authority complementing a subordinate woman, there's even more of a issue. it might not be the way we were raised, but it's the way things are now, and in any case, Newbauer should have inherently known better, and certainly have been trained to know better.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    LA Metro area
    Another thing I took away from that comment, if true, is that Coach CN would have touched their hair if they were not black, since he was aware that is culturally inappropriate in the black community. If I told someone at work that is under my authority that they had nice hair and I wanted to touch it, color of their skin notwithstanding, it's still not an appropriate thing to say.

Does that mean he did touch the hair of his white players, if they had "nice hair?" Maybe yes, maybe no. But if he did, that's also inappropriate regardless.

5. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    I understand that. It’s just sad that we live in a world where a compliment like “nice hair cut” or “I like your new shoes” becomes negative. For the vast majority of the population it would put a smile on their face.

6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I know the news coming out about coach is a drag EAST.
    Guess we better understand why he left.

I went to a UF / Rutgers game (men's) when Rutgers had that bully/madman coach. (Rice?)

I watched him during time outs and breaks and his reputation seemed well deserved.

I'm sure it's an incredibly fine line to walk between discipline and abuse. but it rankles me when you find out players are mistreated, in any sport............any gender.

We fans too often fall into that "it's OK" when you hear coach speak about "breaking" a team then building them back up.

Anyway, thankfully nothing reported about sexual exploitation, that would really be even a worse disaster!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011

It's only a drag for the program sadly. Any abuse is horrendous, and he had to go. I am more concerned with the handling of the whole situation. Some of this was not abuse, but some was and anyone associated should be gone IMO. Staff and administration failed the girls here.

8. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Recruit

Mar 7, 2017
    To be clear, the hair touching (or even reference) is widely considered a racist microaggression. And had been in the Black community for years. You don’t have understand. But you all have Google.

I’ve said since he was first hired that Cam was over his head and it should be obvious now. From my seat, he spent the last 4 years bullying where he couldn’t reach by coaching. And yes, SS should be out the door too. He stood behind this guy knowing the allegations and extended him while he was becoming the losingest coach in decades.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Recruit

Mar 7, 2017
    Curious why only Lorenzen’s comment are the most credible. I get maybe the ousted kids could have an ax to grind, but that doesn’t make sense for Morang because she stopped playing for medical reasons. Seems her story would carry more weight.
    Anyway, the curious sticking point for me is I’ve yet to see a player standing up for Cam.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    There are too many conclusions to jump to about this hair thing, and it probably shouldn't have even been part of the story. As reported, it's the least of Newbauer's bad behaviors.

11. bbgatoralum

bbgatoralum Freshman

May 25, 2017
    Did anyone see the story aired on Sportcenter just now?? 1:30pm Est.

12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t claim to understand it, but the hair thing is a big deal for AA women, I’ve seen it raised in all kinds of contexts. Someone in Cam’s role, having been around AA women that much should know and respect that. I agree it wasn’t the worst of his offenses by far, but it was still emblematic of a guy that just didn’t get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    There wasn't much new, and nothing from UF. Lorenzen, Searcy and Mourang came across as credible. So did Kinslow, but some people dismiss what she's said because of other stuff.

14. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Based on Kinslow's Instagram please pass the grains of salt. Her multiple transfers probably say more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    She is something else....lol. Her TikTok is horrible. She is definitely not credible. The other girls may be, but she is pure drama. Saw a differing account of things on a general WBB board. I think there may be more to come out in time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    Listen, I know y'all mean well. But as the father of a daughter, this kind of thing goes downhill fast. Her Instagram or even her history of transferring does not by definition discredit her statements here. Girls do not make these kinds of accusations just chasing drama -- or if they do, then there ought to be some evidence of it. That's the kind of thing that makes girls -- like my daughter, for example -- scared to come forward when things happen to them. Her portrait of Newbauer has been backed up by multiple sources -- please don't go around insulting her character just because. Unless she's made these kids of allegations before and they've been disproven, her social media presence has nothing to do with what she is saying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    W
    Watch her social media. Character does matter... it hurts her in this case. Cam had to go... but she needed to go too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. bbgatoralum

bbgatoralum Freshman

May 25, 2017
    Screenshot_20211002-114632_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  19. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011

I wonder if Jordyn is the player he hit with a ball? It mentioned an ACL and she and Rainey are the only two, I think, that had ACL's in that time frame.

20. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    Stu, just want to be clear. You're disliking a statement I made saying that because you disapprove of someone's Instagram presence, you shouldn't assume they are a liar. Am I right about that?