Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Future of the Program

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by EastTNG8TR, Jul 20, 2021.

Who do you want to see as the HC of the WBB program in 22-23?

1. Kelly Rae Finley

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Becky Hammon

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. Karl Smesko

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. Gail Goestenkors

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Delisha Milton

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  6. Muriel Page

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Melanie Balcomb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Chris Daily

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  9. Katie Abrahamson-Henderson

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. Other...

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2011
    I think she will need to do a bit better than .500. It is the same coaches, players, and system. Plus she has been a big hand in building the team as it is now. North of 20 wins, and he probably has a hard time making a change. Under and I think he makes one.

Whatever happens she is playing with house money at this point. If she loses she probably still gets a new gig as a HC at a smaller school. That was coming anyway eventually. She's too good of a coach and recruiter to stay an AC. If she wins, it's a great story, garners some nice media, and has a very easy transition compared to a normal new coach.

I am intrigued by her recent comments about maybe playing a few players at different positions than what Cam did. I've long thought Kristina and Manu should be flipped. Jordyn I'd imagine is the other player that you could debate where she should play. How she handles the roster and how the players take to the changes will be interesting. She also has the most depth we have had in a long time and said we may see a bit of a difference on defense. With Kiki, Lavender, Nina, Zippy, and Alberte and the twins who can get up and down the floor, I'd imagine we could see more pressure.

She has the pieces. Going to be fun to watch and see how this all plays out. Hoping she is our anti-Peck...relatively quiet hire that hits it out of the park.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    20 wins looks good, but it's not some magical threshold. I would say that, given the year-in, year-out toughness of the SEC, 18 wins and an NCAA bid would get her the job. But it's more than that. You need to watch how a team plays, how the players perform on and off the court, and listen to what experts and other coaches have to say about what they see in her.
    Or, you just go and ask Jeremy Foley if he's got a hunch about her.

3. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    It doesn't have to be 20 per se, but NCAA yes... we won't be in that conversation without 20 wins though. This won't be like a Covid season.

4. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    Another encouraging sign the roster is staying intact...

• Like Like x 1
  5. bbgatoralum

bbgatoralum Freshman

May 25, 2017
    Please don't forget Zada went into the portal at one point.. It's always funny because you associate player will not a lot of play time (i.e. you mentioned Ariel) as if it is okay for treatment to be bad for a player who doesn't get a lot of minutes..By the way UF lost 9 players during the tenure, well really 12, with last coach..Lav may have actually gone into the portal "before" he resigned not afterwards..maybe her (high profile player)going into the portal led to the resignation...hmmmm

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011

I didn't say it is ever okay. Just wish we knew if it was mostly disgruntled players over playing time or more like actual abuse and what point did it reach that level. We mostly have lost players that transferred in once already, and Zada was a transfer in from Miami. She was never in the transfer market while at UF as far as I am aware. Any abuse is always wrong, regardless of person. There are obviously levels to this stuff. We have had and built a consistent and stable roster with minimal turnover. Something was right at least at some point. Then at some point it seems to have went wrong...And if it was early on then it seems itnwould be harder to keep any members of the staff who didn't report it. Why I tend to think it is a more recent development, otherwise there are much bigger problems because too many were too silent for too long and you would think that would bring a complete change.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  8. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    Seeing the twins, they definitely have the looks to be strong and athletic enough to help us out in the post immediately. Saw some a while back that made me think they'd need a year in the weight room. Really curious to see how they turn out this season.

9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I sent Coach KRF an email congratulating her and wishing her well with the new job. She actually replied with a thank you and come see us play.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I have a good feeling about her. The players rallied around her and seem to like her, and she's reaching out to the fan base, as evidenced by your post.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bbgatoralum

bbgatoralum Freshman

May 25, 2017
    I get your point.. But yeah, Zada was absolutely in the transfer market/portal her senior campaign at UF with Delicia and Corey. She just ended up staying. It's not recent. Like stated before it has been going on since he arrived. With players he recruited and players that were there before he arrived..

13. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011

Pretty sure Delicia was going to be a transfer regardless and Corey wasn't a scholarship player I don't think... at least not initially. Delicia is the one true elite talent we've lost, but she was out of control at times in what I've seen. Still would love to know what happened with her and Christinaki. Regardless of when and how any of it happened, I am glad we have recruited and held on to the bulk of the talent over the last few years. We haven't lost anyone I would bring back. Kudos to Kelly for keeping this squad together after the upheavel. She really has a chance to do something special. I think the best first season for a coach in UF history is 19 wins. We have the talent and depth to exceed that. Hopefully the fans show up and support the program.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have no clue if there was any actual abuse in the program or not (although I would doubt their was) but either way, I would take what Kinslow says regarding her year of basketball at UF with a grain of salt. Yes, depression is a serious issue but being Kinslow attended four different schools during her collegiate basketball career, I would tend to believe her issues were of her own doing and not on UF or Newbauer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. hoosiergatorette

hoosiergatorette Freshman

Mar 17, 2020
    Eleanna C is and absolutely always was a cancer to every single team she has ever been a part of. If not, she would have some type of career by now, as she is a very talented player. Didnt she also quit Maryland mid season? She was awful by all accounts from some very good information I had from several within the program

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    Nice addition to the coaching staff:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. G2MGA

G2MGA GC Legend

Aug 30, 2007
    Wow, yes, that's not a name I would have thought of, but I think that's a very, very good hire.

Kudos to Kelly and staff for making it happen. I dare say I'm starting to become a bit optimistic about this season.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Wow….that seems like a home run hire. Pretty exciting

19. hoosiergatorette

hoosiergatorette Freshman

Mar 17, 2020
    Yeah I was pleasantly surprised to see this hire on my Twitter feed today. Exciting season could very well be ahead for gator wbb fans

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Assistant coach of women’s National team, 10 year assistant at Stanford and head coach of Washington Mystics! How and the hell did we get her as an assistant? Would have to think if things don’t go well for Kelly, Plank is our next head coach!