Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FSU slashes budget. Is this the beginning of the demise of college sports?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ncbullgator15, Jul 12, 2020.

1. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    I sure hope Florida can fight through all of this. There is still a ton of money out there. While the economy has taken a hit and obviously revenues from sports is the bigger current issue, there is so much $ sitting in the wings its crazy. I'm hoping UF can continue to ramp up it's donations. If they had to they could probably generate a lot more money from donations and get some of the massive debt knocked off.

One would hope we'll be better off then a lot of other schools. Prior to this freaking pandemic universities had been having a hard time filling their stadiums anyway. For a variety of reasons, great flat-screens, addiction to personal automation, some people just annoyed at thuggery, cost and travel, varying interests - there's a shift happening. Football might need to take on the attributes of ancient Rome to get filled up again. The university president cloaked in robes will stand, the 90,000 strong will go silent. And he'll give a thumbs up or down and the Lions will be released or the jet-pac RB or laser-equipped linebacker will be introduced to make it more exciting. Maybe they'll flood the Swamp and the Gators will be released. Maybe it will become all virtual. Also, distance learning is gaining ground. OMG I'm depressing myself.

Need a vaccine asap!

Go Gators.

3. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    The guy is taking a 25 percent pay cut and hasn’t coached a game. Yikes. I don’t think their athletic dept will recover anytime soon to get that money back for him. I do wonder how long he stays until a better opportunity comes along in this environment.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Norville’s salary at Memphis was $2.6 million. His contract at FSU is for $4.42 million. So even with a 25% pay cut, down to $3.315 million, he’s still getting $715,000 more than before.

I am not blind to the fact that $1.105 million is a huge pay cut. But he’s still coming out ahead compared to his prior job, by a substantial amount. I know that millions of Americans would love to be in that financial situation right now.

The FSU athletic dept. was living paycheck to paycheck BEFORE the virus changed everything. They made bad financial decisions, overspent, took on huge debt and underperformed. Unlike the Gators they had no cushion, no rainy day fund, and figured that their boosters and the taxpayers would always be there to bail them out.

They were wrong, and only have themselves to blame.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL

Are you sure that he is taking a $1M pay cut? Isn't most of the salary paid by someone other than the university? I thought the University portion was only $300K to $500K and the rest was paid by broadcast rights and Nike etc. This may only be a $100K pay cut. I do not know, just what I thought the general arrangement was for all college coaches?

Alos, how do you have a contract for X and then just say we are paying you X - 25%?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    What does FSU have to do with college sports? :->

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Can't wait for them to get a nice tax payer funded bailout.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    A better financial opportunity is not coming around for any coach. It appears the years of having an overly paid PE teacher are over! I cant see giant deals happening in the near future as the pandemic is going to wash out many programs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Realistically, it requires Norvell to agree to take one for the good of the department.

The unique context of the pandemic, and likelihood that Norvell still views the FSU gig as his best overall career option, work in FSU's favor here. They can also offer to restructure compensation and/or buyout numbers on the back end to offset the loss in the current year to smooth things over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ncbullgator15

ncbullgator15 Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    The pandemic is going to completely restructure sports entertainment. Fans are going to turn away from the coddled professional athletes who believe they run the show. TV ratings are going to fall thru the floor and ad revenues will follow. Stadiums will empty. The next generation cares very little about football, both pro and college. Colege athletics will become club sports. If I were the coaches, I would be saving my money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think this going to expedite formation of the elite division of CFB that separates from FBS, as has been bandied about for a few years. With the confederation's main criteria being financial solvency and commitment football .

32 or so teams that have their own league, and the rest on a ride to something that looks much more like FCS.

12. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    That is exactly what I am thinking. Foley had been a little too stringent with spending, but he left our athletic department in great financial shape. He had resisted what so many other athletic departments have been doing, and publicly traded corporations for that matter, and didn't joint the cadre of organizations building up dangerous levels of debt compared to ability to comfortably service that debt when the inevitable rainy day arrived. We are still playing catch-up with facilities, but will weather this storm as well as any college program.

----

This is also a time in the college athletics world where I think you will see the premier programs that have been flush with booster money to go along with TV revenue may separate themselves more and more from those that don't have such support. It is a case of the rich getting richer. We will weather this storm, as will other cash rich programs with huge booster support, but programs like FSU with comparatively small booster support won't. The U.S. government can issue however much debt it wants and the Fed just buys it up, but hard hit states can't do that and will face massive revenue shortfalls and budget problems. FSU is going to have a rough time limiting their budget requests from the state when so much else within the state budgets will need to be cut.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    This isn't the beginning to the end of college sports, but it may be the end of college sports that don't at least pay for themselves. And there will be a short term tightening of the belt for the revenue producing sports.

But for college football and basketball, this is just a blip. Once fans can attend games again safely, things will go back to normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought only 2 sports paid for themselves. Football and Men's basketball.
    And while baseball may pay for itself at UF or Miss State, it would surprise me if baseball pays for itself in the majority of schools in the P5 conferences. (Could be wrong.)

So are you saying that every single sport is going away, outside football and men's ball?
    That would be tragic, and frankly it's another good reason for us to have college ball this year.

15. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Title IX isn’t going away.

Not a given. Attendance at college football games was falling before Covid-19. If more fans are “forced” to watch football games at home in 2020 and/or 2021, they might just conclude that attending games in person is not for them anymore. At least not attending ALL home games.

I know that the game day experience in the Swamp and at other college football venues is unique, exciting and can’t be reproduced at home. But we on this board were having this discussion before - there are lots of advantages, financial and otherwise, to watch the games on your 72 inch HD TV in air conditioned comfort. More people will get to experience this in 2020, out of necessity.

I know many here will say they will always attend games in person (if allowed), regardless of the expense, weather, commute, hassle, etc. I also have enjoyed many a Saturday spent with 90,000 of my closest friends.

But the college football attendance trend before Covid-19 was decreasing. There is no guarantee this will reverse when this pandemic is finally behind us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah Title 9 is what’s going to make this so hard for most places. If you want to keep football and basketball, that’s basically four or five women’s sports that need to stay. Add baseball and that’s one more minimum.
    I mentioned in another thread, I think both golf teams would be the first casualty at UF if it ever came to it. It would be clean in taking out similar men’s and women’s sports, no complaints about disproportionately impacting minorities, we haven’t won in either recently so fan outcry wouldn’t be there relative to others. Next would probably be lacrosse since it hasn’t yet taken off in the south as a college sport, but not sure where we would be title 9 wise, might mean the end of a men’s sport or two. But that sport carries academic and mid Atlantic/Northeast regional weight for us.

17. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    No, not all of them. I think baseball and womens basketball and some of the others traditional sports will probably come back when it's safe. But I think several sports may go back to being "club" sports.

Even when it's "safe" to attend sporting events, you can be sure some people won't feel comfortable going for some time. If overall attendance at revenue generating sports drops and thus athletic department revenues drop, schools aren't going to be able to afford to field teams.

I'm not really referring so much to UF as I am college sports in general. UF is in much better shape financially than most universities and could probably keep everything going. But it's not just whether UF can afford it, but for the SEC, if say 4 smaller schools can't support a sport, I suspect the conference will drop the sport. Keep in mind there are only a handful of sports the SEC doesn't field at all 14 universities.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  18. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Would make sense, plenty of companies who don't seem to deserve or need them are getting bailed out

19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  20. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    This is probably coming, it's ridiculous to see schools like Old Dominion, Charlotte or Georgia State on the same level as Florida.