Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FSU Search: Proactive search for Norvell's replacement getting a head start.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Nov 4, 2019.

1. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    Probably should have stayed put in memphis for a couple more years until a better schools HC position came open. The city was showing him all kinds of love.
    I wouldnt have left a stable program with minimal expectations compared to the mess he's walking into.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I didn't read too much into that head to head business though, b/c Frost was recruiting the heart of Florida, while Norvell was recruiting bumble flip Ty'unnuhsee.

What I saw was a clash of philosophies--Spurrieresque (Norvell) vs. Meyeresque (Frost)--or proset vs. spread O, if you prefer.

I was impressed with Norvell; liked his style, but knew he was a long shot since it was too similar to the McElwain hire (Head coach from smaller program, prolific pro-set offensive mind...), which of course was a disaster (not because it was destined to be, but because Mac's work ethic was so...pathetic).

C'est la vie.

As Coach said above--for the first time in memory, FSU has a coach that doesn't make my skin crawl (or in the case of Tags, doesn't make me chuckle).

Weird...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    On a side note... this would be a good poll for another thread... but it's no secret that I'm a fanboy of the spread option in college football... and I just feel like that is Florida football to me...

Curious to see how many people prefer the gunslinger QB type that Spurrier preferred or the rush for 200, pass for 200 QB type that Meyer preferred...

But yeah... Norvell seems like a solid guy... I think he'll at least be okay, there... but just okay probably isn't good enough for FSU fans or their administration... Not sure he's a top 10 coach in the country...

4. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    I wouldn’t take a job where the coach was fired in less then 2 years.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    You would turn down 6 million dollar?

I wouldn't turn down 1 million.

Who'm i kidd'n....I wouldn't turn down half a mil...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Looks a bit like Meyer 10 years ago or so.

He says the right things. Seems like a humble guy. Gonna be hard not to like him...darnit. :cool:

Great public speaker, BTW. I was looking for the teleprompters.

7. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    I know.. FSU is a good job, but it’s wrong to fire a coach in less then 2 years. I don’t think Taggert was a good coach, but still.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

And...
    therein lies the next question(s)....

What kind of a contract did Noevell actually get??? How much money per year, and for how many years guaranteed??? ....
    And, the BIG question...what kiind of buyout would he have if he didn't live up to the FSWho's expectations???
    How much money will he have for his coaching staff????

These are huge questions for a school who's President is groveliing for his boosteers to increase their giving by 20%... After having to "tap in" to the "Golden Chiefs" to get rid of Taggart, the well is pretty much dry...

Norvell probably won't carry enough clout to demand huge $$$ for facitilies upgradees, so they will be half-assed, as well.......

FSWho has both a President and an AD on their way out next year....the cultrure there is horrible, and the entire thing is a huge dumpster fire...

Time wil tell...the jury's out on this one

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Fsu did better than they deserve. I think he is a very good young coach. Saw the presser, reminded of being in church listening to the pastor when I was a kid. If he's real, not sure how that will play in Tally tho. Culture transition is a question. He did lose me when he said he was a lifelong nole fan so maybe he will be cool with their "culture".

His teams will score, should be able to recruit offense. His fate will be determined on the defense and recruiting. Curious to see who his DC is. Win or lose, he gets a nice check. Congrats to him.

10. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I spent some time in Memphis during his first couple of seasons there. Heard his coach's show on the local sports talk radio station fairly regularly. He seems like a genuinely good guy. Definitely culturally different than whats been at fsu the last 40 years.

11. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    No earings, hats, headphones, ... will be culturally different for FSU players used to Willie, dancing, ...

12. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    Norv had a mean cornrow game back in the day though.

[​IMG]

13. dallasgatr

dallasgatr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This was the hire I was afraid FSU would make. This guy is good, he’s real good.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

OK...
    He might be "real good" at Memphis, or another Group ofr 5 school....
    And, he might have some decent ideas,, that will "propel" the Nolies intoo winning their side of the ACC....
    But...that's gonna be about the extent of it..., at least until he can be able to turn that TallaCRAPPY culture around...ands that remains to be seen...

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. dallasgatr

dallasgatr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I hope your right

16. PlantationGator

PlantationGator Junior

Jun 21, 2014
    So how is their recruiting going?

17. Gatorallstar1012

Gatorallstar1012 All American

Oct 31, 2011
    His success will be made or broken by his coordinator hires, I always feel like when these mid major coaches move to P5 they need to re-evaluate who they have, sometimes being loyal won’t equate to the big time football as those assistants aren’t power recruiters maybe don’t know what it takes fully. Continuity is great but if you’ve never coached in these leagues it’s a world of difference from the AAC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

They have academics??

19. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

Good coach in tallatrashee??

Definitely an odd fit.