Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FSU Search: Proactive search for Norvell's replacement getting a head start.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Nov 4, 2019.

1. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

Wow, that was back in 88 wasn't it Gray? Free Shoes U I'm sorry I have it mixed up with the Sanders deal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Agree. Those saying he was way down on their list are correct but that's because FSU admin is full of dumb hacks. This is a good hire for them but that doesn't mean he will succeed and even if he does, unlikely he can do so quickly. Recruiting is the name of the game now and ours needs to keep getting better. Let's see how he does on first test. I thought Willie did great in that area for his first year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. phillyblount

phillyblount GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    The burg
    They got themselves a "stuntaz" -- watch out

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We would probably have taken Winston if he wanted to play at UF. He was the #2 QB the year he came out. I don't recall any major indications that Winston was a sociopathic rapist when he was a high school football player. We would have dropped him the minute the rape allegations came out and seemed credible, just like we did with Cam Newton and the stolen laptop. That's what sets us apart from football mills like F$U.

I think Norvell will recruit the best players that are attracted to a school like F$U, so that means some questionable characters will slip through. UF has wound up with a few questionable characters in the past, but never enough of them to torpedo the football program. It is much easier to get rid of a bad seed if there is only one or two on the team, versus a third of the team.

What makes you think that F$U (the university or the football team) has improved its academics?

• Like Like x 2
  5. phillyblount

phillyblount GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    The burg
    "woooo" lol

6. JaxGator75

JaxGator75 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well Josh Griffis just committed...

To Louisville

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When do you think that will happen? Middle of next year?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Mike Norvell is a Todd Graham (arrogant prick) disciple. He was with him at all 3 of his stops as a HC, Tulsa-Pitt-Arizona St. Graham has been collecting his ASU $$ for 2yrs now and wants to now get back into the game. As a favor, would not be surprised to see Norvell give him the 2nd in command spot on his staff. There was talk during one of Champs several searches for a OC that he was after Norvell. ASU then gave him more $$ and another title and he stayed, eventually getting the Memphis gig. He runs his offense and calls his own plays, uses a small trifold play sheet.

This is really how it should happen. You do well and prove yourself at a mid-tier program, then move up to a bigger P5 job. Success doesn’t always translate though, some do, some don’t. Still believe defense and recruiting elite talent is gonna be his biggest challenge. He’ll whip up some chicken salad and probably win 8 games next season. He’s a massive upgrade over Willie, who’s inept level was mind boggling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    This is a different coach for fsu. I actually like him. Never could stand Bowden or Dumbo, both scumbags.
    Didn't dislike Taggert, just thought he was ridiculously bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Too funny!

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

*****************7:00 PM UPDATE*************

So...Now, as the 4 milk crates and plywood podium has been dismantled, and the 12 chairs stacked neatly against the wall.....

New Nolie Head Coach Norvell is set to get to work....
    He's already told Odell Haggins "Get off of my lawn!", as he removes Odell's nameplate from the HC office door...
    As Norvell unpacxks his briefcase, setting his trifold playbook on his new desk, he knows that there's precious little time to prepare for his "Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl", ACC game....then realizes that's the wrong Bowl......he's still got to get his ass kicked by Penn State in the Cotton Bowl first... riight, Mike, it's AAC, remember??..I guess recruiting will just have to wait.

Josh Newberg reports; "The Nolie faithful numbers are dwiindling, same as the recruiting class...and rumbliings of shakeups in the coaching staff echo like faint rumblings of thunder..

Trusted insiders are now already prepared to give Norvell a pass for his first 2 years, since after all, he was their 7th choice in theiir search, and ya' know, beggars can't be choosers.

The glow of dumpster fires in Tallacrappy can be seen on the horizon...and it just warms the hearts of Gator fans everywhere.

Hmm...Now...will it be...

# GO-Dell??

News at 11

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    @tbtwnsnd

As someone who knows Memphis and Norvels, can you give us some details? What's going to happen in Tally town? Will he crack the whip? Have a decent staff? Recruit decently? Will he be an odd fit?

13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Reason why I'm not sure about this hire is that look at how many of us (not really myself included, but a plurality of Gator fans) felt about Frost. Frost beat this guy head-to-head, repeatedly, yet look at how he's turning out at Nebraska... Do I think he would've been better at Florida? Yes... But even I, who was a Frost skeptic, thought that Frost was a more "obvious" hire than Norvell, at the time... makes me feel like this is a coin flip...

Good coach? Yes... Good enough to compete with Florida and Clemson? Mullen and Dabo? Time will tell...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Shocked, dismayed, concerned that kind of a badge of honor that this thread is 158 pages long. I sort of get Kelly but continuing to talk about a rival?????

yep, I contributed on pg 158 at 8:12 but it’ll be my last. Hopefully this thread is retired as talking about the ACC’s 5th best team and possible coach now hired coach for 158 pages is concerning. He’s hired. Let’s be done.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    You know you really want to tell us how these FSU players will.play their hearts out for norvell how they will love hi., hes a players coach and gets the most out of his players....

Of course you may notice this isnt 158 pages of talking about a rival's team and coach as much as its 158 pages making fun of a rival and their coach...which seems to be all good to most of us.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    The cornrows alone are worth a dozen pages.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    So you can be useful unlike a lawyer

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2013
    SC
    Good coach? Yes... Good enough to compete with Florida and Clemson? Mullen and Dabo? Time will tell...[/QUOTE]

UF is improving and Clemson is not going anywhere so he will be tested early.

19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Thank you for your humorous addition to the comedy classics in this thread. If i incorrectly presumed that you were joking, my apologies.

BTW; what did you think of page 136? Pretty much nailed it there, didn't we?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    But when IS the Stoops presser?

Really?

Anyone?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1