Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FSU Search: Colder than trying to RUTS with a fake punt inside own 20.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Nov 4, 2019.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    upload_2019-11-13_12-15-34.jpeg

Reports are that talks are in progress.

• Funny x 6
    • Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  3. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I think it will ultimately be Haggins. No inside information or sources. Just seems like a good coach that the kids have responded to - will win some games - get the program back on track - and save them quite a bit of money. He will coach for a few years while they fix their front offices and then they might be able to make a run at a longer term option. I have no idea what kind of recruiter he is but everything else seems to point to him being named HC.

But Id be totally fine if ClownTown completely screwed this up and he spurns them in the end because they didnt value him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    If I were betting, I'd bet it comes down to Haggins. Here's the one question though. FSU alumni and boosters collected what, $20 million dollars to buy out Taggart?! I have a feeling the alumni are thinking that was done to hire a high-profile guy like Stoops. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that wasn't what they were told when giving the money, and that may also be the basis for all the Stoops talk.

How happy will their boosters/alumni be if they gave $20 million to hire a guy like Haggins who some may not see as an upgrade?!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    I'll bet Gunnery Sergeant Carter would have them hydrated properly.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Haggins is part of the culture problem there, not a large part of it, but one of them, and it'd be almost poetic if they later gave briles the job.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    "Sugiyama is a veteran of the coaching search business, you can’t do his job for as long as he’s done it without your own record of wins and losses. He directed the Florida Atlantic search that landed Lane Kiffin, Stanford’s hiring of Jim Harbaugh and Purdue’s hiring of Jeff Brohm. Others that are relegated to the bottom of the résumé include Charlie Weis at Kansas and Randy Edsall at Maryland."

Aside from harbaugh to Stanford, not sure kiffin or Brohm can really be counted as "wins" (other than a good season for both)

8. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Fair point and question - but I guess it would depend on how willing they were to dip in their wallets again for another significant "donation" the the athletic department.

9. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    What are the buyouts for Lane Kiffen and Josh Heupel?

10. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    According to Newberg, Briles was hired by the “boosters” and went to the boosters after the Wake game trying to get Willie run off. If so, what a pos, and the model semi. I bet they try to force the new hire to keep Briles & Haggins. No established HC worth his salt will go for that. One or both of these two are likely their fallback option....we can only hope!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Sophomore

Jun 22, 2007
    Stoops sees money and a university and program that will allow him to do anything to win. I think he takes the job.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  12. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Not if they continue to drink PowerAde....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    As to B. Stoops, this nonsense started with Tampa sportscaster (and Nole apologist) JP Peterson. He "heard" that SWAC was targeting Bob Stoops. Some weather reporter in Clowntown ran with it and it looks like BOTH of them were citing each other as their sources.

NOTE: There has not been ONE confirmation from ESPN, Yahoo Sports, Fox Sports, CBS Sportsline or NBCSN confirming ANY talks between Stoops and SWAC. To the contrary, Herbstreit reported that Bob Stoops HIMSELF said he's not a candidate. This whole thing is a riot!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. upstategator

upstategator All American

Nov 1, 2017
    I tend to agree, seems more likely its Stoops than anyone else, disappointing if he does take it. He has a pretty good legacy, why tarnish with 5-6 seasons of beat downs from UF and Clemson?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    But they probably keep drinking Seminole Fire Water.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Evidently Jimbo Fisher didn't think the FSU athletic department was letting him do what he wanted so he bolted.

When you combine the Fisher bailout, the Taggart debacle, and the financial mess their athletic department is in, I don't think Stoops is going to be interested.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Chantweaver

Chantweaver Premium Member

May 7, 2008
    Word I have heard is the 20 mil for Willie buy out is mostly pledges for money. They do not get a hot name coach those pledges might go bye bye. They are in serious dodo

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Well in fairness, there is a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that boosters and insiders know bits and pieces of before ESPN and the media. By the time the media gets the confirmations and reports it, the deal is likely pretty much done.

The problem is that there are a lot of boosters and alumni who know bits and pieces of what's going on, but very few people who know the whole story. That's why there's so much disinformation.

In a case like this, I have little doubt FSU would like to talk to and/or has talked to Stoops. Not unlike the interest UF had in Stoops in our last 3 coaching searches. I'm almost certain there's been some form of contact between the parties. Where the talks stands, if they're still in contact and if a deal could be imminent (highly doubtful) is anyone's guess. But the select few people who really know what's going on aren't going to tell other booster or alumni the whole story. So you get a lot of fragmented information.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    If Bob Stoops laid an egg, it would bankrupt an already strapped program.
    Smart move is Fleck. Desperate move is Bob Stoops.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    This was sarcasm I assume?

How it does it "seem likely" it's Stoops?

• Agree Agree x 4