Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FSU is a dumpster fire.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Pasco08, Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Never...never...never...ever feel sorry for FSU.
    NEVER.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's worth pointing out that JSU would be 1-2 if they hadn't played SWAC. They lost to UT-Martin (who is 0-1 against FBS teams, 59-21 loss to Western Kentucky).

JSU has 2 3-point wins over 0-4 teams; the other being North Alabama.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You understood my post right? I was basically saying no Gator fan ever said I'm starting to feel sorry for FSU. It was a joke.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. trey65

trey65 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Tampa Bay
    I hope we hang 60 plus points on UFS.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. stp_gator

stp_gator All American

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    We need to score at least half a hundred including a 4th quarter TD pass from a walk on QB to a scout team WR.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Pasco08

Pasco08 GC Legend

Sep 5, 2013
    Dade City FL
    I have a few friends whom are FSU fans and I had one with a straight face say Norvell is a better HC then Mullen. The delusion in this fanbase must be how I reacted during our 4-8 seasons, Except FSU will be lucky to win two games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

You can’t fix stupid…

8. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    So far their recruiting class is holding together so most of their fans are shouting “youth movement” and touting their class and the 5 star players they’re getting. But just wait, if they lose embarrassingly the rest of the season, all of these kids saying they’re 100% committed will start to waver.

All it takes is 1 top 100 player to open their recruiting up and the class will crumble, everyone will cherry pick the guys they want and the fanbase will be in disarray. Honestly it’s one of 2 reasons they have to keep Norvell, they can’t afford another wasted class. Their roster is already trash and this should be their bump class so if it’s not good, it’ll take years to recover. The other reason being money of course.

But I think if he loses bad enough this year, they might really look at firing him and even if they conclude he can’t be fired, I think it’ll spook the class if those rumors come out, and they’ll lose the top players. A few ways they will lose any semblance of hope if they aren’t careful, definitely a pivotal year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I thought they should have given Odell a shot. He's been loyal to that program forever, is a well respected and accomplished coach, super connected to recruiting in the state, and would have done it on the cheap. If he didn't work out he just becomes the unintentional interim like Zook was here. Not only a low risk, feel good proposal in tough economic circumstances, but good grief he couldn't have done any worse than they're doing now. I probably couldn't do much worse and I would be intentionally trying to throw games.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorMatt06

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    100% - they fired Taggart too fast and would have done well to make him interim and 2020 head coach. He could be an Ed O kind of rah rah guy who gets highly paid assistants. If it didn’t work you pull the plug in a few years. Instead they got a guy who hadn’t been hired for some reason by multiple programs that had a shot at him. There were rumors of character issues that scared other schools away - doesn’t totally seem to be playing out that way right now but there are certainly issues with how he actually coaches and calls games, lol. It’s be a real shame if he had the character issues too haha.

12. trump4life

trump4life All American

Oct 7, 2020
    Tallahassee
    And Odell would have either done good/well and righted the ship or he would resign himself. There would be no payout to him. I will say one positive thing is I believe he loves f$u. He could have been f$u’s version of Sam Pittman. Not that he would win national or conference championships but he would not let them perform as they have under WT and MN.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    No but you can beat its ass up and down the field.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    I wo
    I wonder if that hole friend of yours was my brother. Lol I hope fsu goes 0-forever.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I think he would be a viable "Coach O" for them...IF he embraced what a HC is "supposed" to act in public, and act with the team. He seems to be too much into the minutiae of what is his place (d-line?) rather than embrace "moving on up".

Methinks he would fail like Shannon failed at UM. Too much to clean up for a "well meaning guy."

16. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Quite possibly. But Norvell wasn't a home run hire even then and the quick trigger on Taggert meant FSU would be on the hook for that big buyout plus a promise of yet another one to Norvell to mitigate his own risk. That's just doubling down on financial risk to a guy who was an open question whether he could actually manage the turnaround. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shedding any tears for them and their bad decisions. But it seems to me that FSU could have not only saved money and embarrassment by affirming one of their own, they'd be in way better shape for the future even if he didn't work out. Inexpensive, intensely loyal, connected directly to your glory days, tremendous recruiter--I have a hard time seeing how Norvell was that much better of a candidate to be worth the significant amount of good money after bad they've poured into this. And now in hindsight, what are the odds Odell's record would be any worse right now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    It's been obvious for a long time they have crappy leadership making bad decisions.

At a school with real history if the admin runs amok sharp alumni and moneyed boosters step in and make changes. Not a perfect system but also a system fsu apparently doesn't have any part of.

Not even former players that aren't convicts or laughingstocks that have any sway.

18. GatorMatt06

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Did FSU not kick the tires on Lane Kiffin? Or was Ole Miss too much of a lure? I would think Kiffin would have wanted the FSU job over Ole Miss given his ability to recruit, the history of the school, ability to win in the ACC (just need to get over Clemson whereas SEC has a few more obstacles), etc. Norvell just seems like the Dollar Store candidate compared to that...kinda crazy if they had a shot at Lane and didn't take it. I'm glad they went with Norvell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Kiffin was smart enough to run from Knoxville. Perhaps he learned what dung smells like.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.