Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FSU and UF 2016 recruiting class look back

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Dec 2, 2019.

1. ufmc84

ufmc84 Sophomore

Aug 13, 2017
    Our OL woes are also because of McElwain. Eye balling a few skill position guys as under the radar is one thing but Mac was in over his head here overall. No player development at all. How many players complained about the S&C program and got personal trainers because of it. Case in point Grier taking supplements because of it. Franks is the perfect example of player development. He was practically ruined by Mac and Nuss. Mullen comes in and has his putting up legit stats in ‘18 and winning ball games. Bottom line is McElwain could have brought in the #1 class every year but would have ruined those kids because he did not emphasize their development. And we’d be just as pissed off when he’d cry or “ain’t it cool” after games. Dude was a fraud.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't like the way he treated our Gator legends and past players Like SOS... Mac got everything he deserved.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    If anyone still doubts Mullen, just looking at what he did with the same players Mac had and the difference is remarkable. From player development to just choosing the right staff members... fixing problems as they occur. Mullen is a Gator, Mac never was. Mullen will be a longtime coach here I believe and could take his place next to Spurrier and Meyer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Mac was just in over his head at UF and also it just wasn't a good fit with him here. Same with Muschamp but you actually FELT that Muschamp (besides meddling with the offense obviously) would do whatever it took to win big at UF. You can tell he bled orange and blue and while I hated to see him go, it was the right move in all honesty.

Felt he should have went to be the DC at USCe instead of Auburn and learn how to be a bit more offensive under Spurrier in his last season at USCe then take over as the HC there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It's been a long time since players have been consistently developed here. For the tenures of both Muschamp and Mac, player development was not only very spotty, it seemed almost random and incidental. Very few players ever seemed any better than how they started. Talented players were talented from the beginning, projects didn't really pan out, and everyone seemed to play at about the same as they always did, no matter how much experience, time, or "conditioning" (both S&C staffs deserve irony quotes) they had. What you saw early was what you got the entire time: good, bad, or otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea there were VERY few players I can recall that I felt got better as time went on.

Jarrod Davis and Taven Bryan are the only two who I think REALLY got better as the years went on and out performed their rankings in a MAJOR way. Same wtih Callaway

7. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'd agree about Davis and Bryant being some of the very few to grow and improve, but for me, Callaway was simply an underrated recruit. He was our surprise go to guy his freshman year from sheer talent, rather than someone who was developed over time into a better player. And wasn't Bryant the guy who was intensively training privately outside of the UF staff?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    His dad was a Navy Seal. I believe Taven did his own training

• Like Like x 1
  9. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Just about ALL of them trained outside. I know for sure it was a known fact that CGJ did

• Like Like x 1
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Great thread. It’s discipline, team control, mission and motivation.

COACHING.

We have the staff and we need the players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. JaxGator75

JaxGator75 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember the story about the kid who took his shirt off revealing the FSU jersey and the controversy which ensured later. Does anyone remember who that was?

14. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    What year-timeframe was this???

15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Marcus Stroud did that but it was for uga

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    I was the one who saw it...once again...what a prick and a liar. I think it was Janarious Robinson. Guy obnoxiously ran his mouth the whole night and deserved to be thrown out several times. He was ignored by everyone and no one other than the UF staff member spoke to him or paid attention to him. Staff asked him . to cover up FSU shirt as per the rules of getting hosted but he refused and got aggressive with the girl (typical FSU)..then another came down and I think he left. It was about 3rd quarter. Then he ran his mouth on twitter (and I called him out on it) about how horrible our fans were to him...if there was ever a typical FSU football asshole it was him although Darnell Dockett is another.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ha, I forgot about S&C under Mac. Country Club Football.

I do remember he inherited a worse OL situation than he left but no doubt the numbers and level of OL he brought in was inadequate. He tried.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That is the story as I remember it and the name sounds very familiar as well. Normally those that pull that look-at-me kind of crap never seem to amount to much.

19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    It's weird because I never hated Mac like some do because of how he did win when he was here (outside of his last year obviously). If he was Taggart garbage, i'd hate him to the end of time lol

20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    This is a great thread, BTW.
    So the 3rd ranked recruiting class in the nation goes 28-22 over the succeeding 4 years, or 24-22 vs the FBS.
    Over their final 3 years they go 18-19 overall, and 10-14 in the ACC.
    Their bowl destinations over their final 3 seasons are Shreveport, staying at home, and possibly Detroit.

Maybe recruiting rankings aren't as important as many fans think?
    Again, this is the #3 class in the nation.
    Clemson's class was ranked 11th and that class will go to 4 playoffs.

Hmm...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1