Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Frontcourt No Longer Lagging Behind (Chris Harry)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Jan 10, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Frontcourt No Longer Lagging Behind

Center Kevarrius Hayes and forward Keith Stone were sensational in back-to-back road wins last week.
    By Chris Harry, Senior Writer | Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The narrative was loud and consistent.

As shots missed and losses mounted, the book on the free-falling Florida Gators was that of an unbalanced, undersized team that could only win when its array of outside shooters came to the gym with hot hands. Opponents certainly thought that. After UF came home from a successful turn at the PK80 Invitational in Portland, Ore., the blueprint to beat Florida was on tape. Run shooters off the 3-point line, be physical with the Gators on drives and overpower them in the paint. Do that and resistance will be minimal.

How was it UF coach Mike White summed up his team after getting blasted by 17 at home against Florida State? "The epitome of soft."

Fast forward six weeks, as the Florida (11-4, 3-0), unbeaten in Southeastern Conference play, goes for a sixth consecutive win Wednesday night against Mississippi State (13-2, 1-1) at Exactech Arena/O'Connell Center. The narrative has changed. White has praised his team's toughness and resilience. What prompted it?

Junior center Kevarrius Hayes and third-year sophomore Keith Stone, who entered UF as freshmen in 2015, watched video together of the Gonzaga game — a win, thanks to some rip-roaring 3-point shooting by their teammates — as Johnathan Williams destroyed the Florida frontline for 39 points, hitting 16 of 22 shots, while the Bulldogs scored 52 in the paint.

read the rest at: http://floridagators.com/news/2018/1/9/chris-harry-frontcourt-no-longer-lagging-behind.aspx

• Like Like x 2
  2. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Next, if they can get some progress and a few more productive minutes per game from Gak. I suspect he can contribute more on both ends of the court if he ramps up his intensity, and it's too simplistic to say he's held down by knee soreness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    While I agree we could use more production for Gak I also think what part soreness contributes would hinge on how bad the swelling and soreness is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    the key is to keep both Hayes and Stone out of foul trouble, which not only allows them to play more aggressively, but also limits the time on the court for both Gak and Egor as an undersized 4.

We still need to get 55-60 mpg between the two of them

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Nice article. Gak also put in some good minutes against Missou.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The front court is mainly a game of smoke and mirrors but it is working quite nicely. I have to believe it was less about softness (Stone especially) and more about communication. Egor seems to have gotten these guys out of their collective funk.

I still see rebounding as something that is lacking, regardless of the stats. There isn't enough size to work against the better teams. And even the bigger guys who are in place for the rebound are getting outplayed somewhat. Can we hang in there until the cavalry shows up in February?

7. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It will help if White can use Gak for 2 to 5 more minutes per game, in my opinion, and find more situations to bring Bassett out of mothballs (his rust really showed last night). Gak is holding himself back by not moving his feet well at all, to my eye. He's getting more comfortable with banging against big guys, which represents progress, but the moment anyone, big or small, drives at him he is at least a step behind.

• Agree Agree x 1