Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Free Solo

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by mh2os, Mar 6, 2019.

1. mh2os

mh2os VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    Saw documentary on Nat Geo titled "Free Solo", and highly recommend it. It's not a new Star Wars pix about Han Solo. Rather it is about professional rock climber Alex Honnold climbing El Capitan in Yosemite in 2017 without any ropes; ie free solo. El Capitan is 3,200' of vertical granite, and Honnold is the only person to ever free climb it. His preparation is exacting, as it should be when any mistake will be fatal. There are times even the camera crew looks away. Wife and I found it compelling. Give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. fortunateson

fortunateson Junior

Oct 4, 2015
    It was one of the most intense shows I've seen in a while. At times, it was hard to watch due to the sheer danger. Well recommended!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I might check out the show, but no way would I get near El Capitain. Sometimes I have a problem just getting up on my roof! :eek::D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Look up his TED talk on the climb. Compelling!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    It is a crazy show to watch. If you’re an empathetic type person, your balls will quiver.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorjack

gatorjack johnl VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando

I was thinking this thread had something to do with this bafoon. Thank goodness it didn’t.

8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Crazy. I mean literally. That dude has got some serious issues. Depression, self loathing, personality disorder, Asperger's, all of the above, I dunno. But he's certainty not the most compelling character to grace the screen. Jeez.

Cool documentary doe

9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Finished watching it today. Hard to believe he makes "about as much as a successful dentist" for being good at climbing rocks. The documentary was interesting, though. Interesting to note what motivates some folks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jwalkergator

jwalkergator Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gulf Breeze
    Free Solo was good. If you like it check out The Dawn Wall on Netflix. I enjoyed it more than Free Solo.

• Like Like x 3
  11. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Thanks so much for this suggestion. I watched The Dawn Wall last night and found it far superior to Free Solo. The Wall had far more of a 'plot,' drama and some clues about what rock climbing is all about. The climber in Wall seems a bit less strange than in Solo, as well.

While Wall gave more information about climbing it still gave no clue how these professional climbers get the money they need for years of climbing.

12. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    As a recovering white water kayaker and ski bum, I'd imagine they make it the same way we did.

For me it was a lifestyle commitment. My earthly possessions fit into the hatchback of my Subaru and filled the racks above. During paddling season, I could make $75/day on the river for rafting companies and live in a tent. In the winter, I'd wait tables, work facilities, whatever it took to get a pass and make enough to pay the rent in the ski house packed with 6 other bums. Not a pot to piss in, but living the dream.

There were others. They had the second most common way. Trustafarians. They were no less cool or accepted (generally), but had means not of their own making.

From my almost decade in these subcultures, those are the two main ways.

The third is to be amongst the best, get sponsored (as these guys all clearly were), and eek out a living between the two castes above.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How do you get it? I tried to download it today and it wouldn't let me yet.

14. gatorlaxn

gatorlaxn All American

Aug 28, 2014
    Atlanta Ga
    The girlfriend is hot though!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Watched it today, really enjoyed it. I had seen a previous documentary on when he climbed half dome, he was actually in more trouble on that climb.
    I am fascinated by guys like him because half of me loves climbing mountains, but in a safe hiking way, heights like he deals with terrify me. So I get the urge completely, but not the method or approach at all.
    His personality is also the exact opposite of mine (and most people’s I assume) which also makes him really interesting to follow. He had that great quote in the middle about not understanding people who want to be comfortable and cozy because nothing ever got accomplished that way.
    Watching the GF try to figure out how to talk to him rationally and him emotionally was really interesting too. Ironic by the way, she’s a life coach by profession.

16. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    I watched Free Solo on Hulu. It is available on other streaming sources but most of them wanted money to watch it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Got it. Thank you. I was on Prine.

18. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I saw it at theatre and was blown away. The achievement was amazing and crazy. I found the dude to be totally interesting. I get he has issues but that made it compelling. Loved the dynamic of his GF trying to make him a bit more human.

• Agree Agree x 1