Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Franks Overcomes Slow Start, Not on a Short Leash (Scott Carter UF)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Sep 16, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Franks Overcomes Slow Start, Not on a Short Leash
    Gators head coach Dan Mullen endorses quarterback Feleipe Franks following win over Colorado State.
    Scott Carter UF Senior Writer

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Writing about the Gators' starting quarterback since No. 15 departed is sort of like telling someone you prefer the Red Hot Chili Peppers over the Beatles. Or that you voted for a political candidate they want to see in jail.
    That often leads to a spirited debate. And you can't win.

Here is what Feleipe Franks did not do on Saturday in Florida's 48-10 victory over Colorado State: He did not throw eight touchdown passes. He did not run for 200 yards. He did not propose to a cheerleader on the video board at halftime.

What he did do is start 0-for-6 with an interception. He eventually found a rhythm and threw two touchdowns, matching his season total (nine) from a season ago. He extended his streak of throwing multiple touchdown passes to five consecutive games, the longest streak for a UF quarterback since Tim Tebow did it 10 games in a row in 2008.

Franks Overcomes Slow Start, Not on a Short Leash - Florida Gators

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. GCGator

GCGator Sophomore

Nov 1, 2014
    Man I'm pulling for him but never get the feel he will become an elite QB. Just hoping he's a serviceable game manager but that first half was bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I do not think he will ever be elite. I also do not think we need an elite qb. Fitzgerald at MSU is far from elite. Almost any Alabam qb you want to name is far from elite. What OSU qb has made it in the pros lately. What we need is franks to be smart. He needs to lead the team, make good decisions and not let his arm strengthen get him in trouble. At least twice he passed up easy twenty to thirty yard throws to go deep down field into coverage. That’s a waste. He’s got to play smarter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. woolbinkle

woolbinkle Junior

Sep 9, 2018
    I think you always need an elite QB.
    To Franks defense, he is getting college level coaching for the first time this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    I am one of Franks' biggest defenders, but I saw a lot of regression in the Colo St game. When the chips are down, he reverts to bad habits of throwing a flat pass, staring down receivers, and taking too long. I swear, against Charleston Southern, he was decisive, looking off safeties, making proper reads. Can we get that guy back?
    If nothing else, esp on the road in the SEC, get the ball out by three seconds. I see other teams doing that all the time with slants, crosses, deep balls. Why not Franks?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Reality is he probably loses a couple close games because he will tend to lack vision generally and especially when pressured. That's the price we might pay. Get ready for it. But there will be some bright spots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Don't forget another unsportsmanlike penalty - second in as many games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. flagator1978

flagator1978 Senior

Aug 20, 2015
    Palm Springs, California
    This is the nail on the head. Last year Franks got nothing..... Remember who we had here last year... Mac and Nothingmeier......

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. staticgator

staticgator All American

Nov 27, 2016
    The play calling got a lot better toward the end of the 1st quarter. We stopped being so pass happy and ran the ball more and in more creative ways and when we did pass it was easier routes to more wide open guys. That’s what the spread is supposed to be. The UK game looked like McElwain or Weis was coaching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    How many national championship teams in the beat 15 years have had a truly elite qb? Alabama’s were mostly game managers. Cam Newton and Timmy are easy to pick. None at OSU. LSU ? What we need is smart game managers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. In 2018 we do not need an elite QB. This year we just need a serviceable QB to make do with the players we have on hand. In a few years the Gators need either an elite QB or a good enough QB to get the ball into the hands of elite running backs and receivers.

What worries me is that Franks looked bad in this game against a low ranked defense. I still support Franks, because I am not the guy getting paid millions of dollars to let him miss six straight passes, but I am not impressed by his lack of growth nor do I have a lot of confidence going on the road against Tennessee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    He is still a huge liability on any pass further than like 10 yards. CSU eventually started breaking down and he did have an excellent, textbook throw to Jefferson on that one TD down the sideline but his overall play continues to be worrisome.

Like someone said though we don’t need him to be elite to win games. Of course, it’d be great if he were but this is where we are.

I still want to see more quick passes, misdirection and other plays that get the ball to our skill players almost immediately and let them gain the yards. Any time he’s standing around, making reads and you see him heave it for what is likely a medium or long throw, it’s going to be toss up whether we actually end up with the ball. Pretty much every remaining opponent is going to have a defense better or much better than Colorado State and there were a couple of times where they read him like a book, including for that INT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He looked bad in the first quarter, but after that he was money. I think he only had one incomplete the next two quarters, plus 2 TDs. I think he deserves some credit for bouncing back like that.

I feel like he's significantly better than last year.

Last year, for the entire season he threw just 9 TDs and 8 Ints.
    This year, in just 3 games he already had 9 TDs and just 2 Ints.

He's nowhere near an elite QB, but he's a lot better than he was last year and he's only 3 games in a brand new system.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. I agree that Franks is significantly better than he was in 2017. I doubt he will ever be elite, but right now we do not him to be elite. I give him credit for finishing 7 of 9 after missing his first 6 passes. Some of those passes were drops from Jordan Scarlett. I get it. Overall there are enough holes in the team for Tennessee to take advantage of, but there certainly is enough skill at Florida to overcome those holes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    This x100
    His mistakes are pretty common with 90% of the QBs at the college level. He’s never going to be elite, but it gets frustrating reading one post after another from insisting that he needs to be. Especially when there is a very small handful that are.

It’s amazing how much complaining a fan base can do after a 38 pt blowout. It wasn’t perfect and at times it just wasn’t very good ...but for Christ sakes can we just be happy for 15 min?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I'll be happy if he stops backpedaling into the rush and throwing off balance

17. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I watch a lot of CSU "football" (I live in the Fort). Their D is awful, especially their pass D. I was not at all encouraged by what I saw yesterday.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    CSU was overhyped as decent because they beat an SEC team in Arkansas. Arkansas got drilled by North Texas yesterday. North friggin Texas.

Long leash/short leash ? It makes no difference. The only thing that matters is if the dog on the end of the leash can hunt. Preseason is over.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The team was shaking off those "UK Blues" in the first quarter and then seemed to turn it on after that. The entire team seemed to wake up, with exception of the special teams and McPherson who looked like they were already on their games. Actually, I'm glad we used McPherson early now in retrospect. He needed that 48 yarder attempt against what I consider to be a "decent" opponent. He could have hit that from 58 easy. Nice to have a kid who can hit 50 yarders pretty easy.

That said, about Franks, he had 10 TD passes all of last year. I think 2? 3? TD passes in his first three games? And the offensive had only piled up about 48 total points in their first three games. Fast forward to today and Franks has thrown 10 passes in his first three games, his total from all of last year, and the offensive has racked up (I think) about 121 points in this first three games.

The difference? Franks is being told how to throw the ball, when to throw it, and why he's throwing it there under Mullen & Johnson as opposed to Nussmeier who coached him to just throw the ball to a certain spot. There is definite improvement there that cannot be denied. Franks will gradually improve with quality coaching and development. Sometimes it will be impressive, sometimes it'll leave you scratching your head, but there's one valuable aspect about Franks a lot of people seem to forget about him... he's a terrific athlete and that athleticism can make up for some of his bad decision moments.

I've seen something in Franks that perhaps others here haven't... get him focused in on a game, and he'll put up some impressive plays and numbers. Get distracted, and he struggles, mainly because he commits the worse offense a QB can... he doesn't forget the last bad play.

It's up to these coaches to teach him confidence and composure, and yesterday, we saw an example of that coaching. It's not all there yet of course, but he's learning the Mullen way of doing things now.

I loved that 99 yard TD drive he put together against UK late in last week's game, when he also had to convert a 4th and long, did it, and still got us into the end zone. He's developing, and it's going to take patience, but he's doing better imo. I still say that by the second half of the season, he's going to look like a much more polished QB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I think this is the week the light starts to come on for Franks. I think he’s gonna impress this week.

• Agree Agree x 1