Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Frank Martin doesn’t hold back... go figure

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jul 14, 2020.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I am not sure whether this is correct or not but...the NBA did not have a caterer and dietician set up to have at least a semblance of what an elite athlete requires to meet peak performance? Will they drop dead from the food? No, but if you are in the winning business (and not merely in the collecting a paycheck business) you have to know that you are setting yourself up for looking like you are hedging your bets. I am going to say the NBA is in POOR FORM. Or at least it does not pass a certain smell test.

Of course they are the ones with the corrupt refs (allegedly) so maybe this is merely another nail in their coffin.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Society wants to treat athletes like princes and then express shock that they are haughty and out of touch with the peasantry?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Let them eat cake.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Thanks for sharing as I got a wry chuckle out of it. I used to be such a fan, but the NBA is dead to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    WTH, looks like they're serving them regular Disney food? If you want the players to stay in the bubble, then the NBA shouldn't be skimping on food.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    I love Frank Martin!! I loved what he said about adversity. He said something to the effect of adversity is reaching in a classroom of 30 with 13 textbooks. Rings true to me on many levels.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Or Chinese, maybe some Goya?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I agree with Frank (yes many would kill to eat that) but also with the NBA players....if they want peak performance a peak diet is important. why the hell wouldn't each team supply their own chef(s) or similar?

I get that they're spoiled....but so is anyone making that much money...and they have reason to complain if they're feeding their elite athletes Mac n Cheese like they're eating off a kid's menu

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I'm reminded of when teary-eyed Patrick (Voice of the People) Ewing spoke out, defending the players when citizen rabble dared criticize their salaries during the strike:
    "People complain that pro athletes make a lot of money. But what they don't understand is that we need a lot of money because we spend a lot of money."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Here’s my take:

good for Ja Morant. As for the players, they are getting paid millions to play a game. To feel sorry for them or support their take on this is laughable.

Martin is right!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Under normal conditions, yes. This is not normal. They are effectively quarantined in order to play games for TV revenue only and that is pretty much all. Now will they play to win? Unless the masses are SO tired of a lack of "sports" that they will watch a NBA All-Star game in perpetuity, when you roll out you want to win. Especially those fringe players who need to show they belong.

And like I posted, if quarantining means they eat what the NBA gives them and they are ordering the "Mickey Mouse Special" every day, that is ALL on the NBA owners. Get a damn dietician (and not a king's chef) and take care of your people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    In the Army we complained about the food all the time. It’s a running joke... but we still eat it. The saying is, “If a Soldier isn’t complaining they aren’t happy.” I’m not surprised by the outrage over them simply voicing their opinion over the food, though. Low hanging fruit for certain people.

Now... if they threatened not to play and/or go home over the level of food quality shown in the pic, then yes I think that would be worthy of reproach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Millions to play, but billions in revenue is being generated. Are you saying that peak performance doesn't start with a proper diet?
    Ja Morant is a rookie, a kid. He probably still eats Mac n Cheese. It's laughable to think that diet doesn't play an important role in an athlete's fitness, especially at the elite level.

16. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    exactly...

• Like Like x 1
  17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    No one said that diet doesn’t play a part. If you think all these guys eat great during the season your mistaken. Yes before games they eat from a nice team spread. They’ll be fine with chicken, broccoli, and beans and rice. Plenty of protein there.

18. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Weren't the team trainers consulted about player meals?

19. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    You may be right.
    But take it up with the proper NBA folk.
    Tweeting your hotel gripes ala Rondo, or bitching to a reporter about your meal....during these times... is beyond tone deaf.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Ok.
    But I am not sure your service in the Army is analogous to the players “service” in the NBA. in other words, I think you sacrificed a tad more... giving you a slightly longer leash to complain - at least in my book.

And thank you for your service!

• Like Like x 1