Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fox: UF pushes 'destructive' woke agenda on medical students

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Nov 22, 2022.

1. ovillegator

ovillegator Premium Member

Jul 29, 2009
    St. Augustine!
    Teaching it and doing it yourself are two different things, unfortunately. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    100% this exists, and im sure many others have experienced what you have. And that isn't how healthcare should be -- but I, and I'm sure many others have had the opposite experience. So why isn't it practiced 100% across the board? I can't tell you, but I do hope experiences like yours are hammered into current/future physicians so poor outcomes related to lack of patient education is minimized.

4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Recommended physical activity and all cause and cause specific mortality in US adults: prospective cohort study

Recommended physical activity and all cause and cause specific mortality in US adults: prospective cohort study

Conclusions Adults who engage in leisure time aerobic and muscle strengthening activities at levels recommended by the 2018 physical activity guidelines for Americans show greatly reduced risk of all cause and cause specific mortality. These data suggest that the physical activity levels recommended in the guidelines are associated with important survival benefits.

Now imagine if rather being leisurely about you put in some effort.

• Like Like x 2
  5. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... VIP Member

Jul 28, 2014
    The OP Fox story might suggest Murdoch is helping DeSantis wage his anti-woke war. First the primary schools, now higher education. Most if not all public universities have diversity and inclusion policies that touch all faculty, staff and students.

6. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Agree.

I am an avid health researcher. I found the info needed to help the injury heal this time... Hopefully.

Its borderline malpractice for me to be back under the knife when some basic fitness efforts may have aided the healing process.

I tested the doctor this time. Asked him what he recommended nutritionally. He said "nothing really, you seem fit and your numbers are good." Truth is studies show that a increase in protein intake and specific exercises can help the muscle heal faster and grow stronger cutting down on the risk of reoccurrence.

This was never mentioned by doctors.

Ironically, doctors in India make this a standard part of recovery for such injuries.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I’ve actually encountered two surgeons lately who were just the opposite.

When a knee surgeon thought I had partially torn my ACL he initially recommended PT and core/quad strength conditioning to see if I could avoid the knife. After 3-4 months of that not working (because it was actually a full tear) he did the procedure.

Same with my a ligament tear in my elbow. Surgeon recommended a series of PT/strengthening exercises with 2 steroid injections instead of any sort of procedure. Seems to have worked, at least for now.

Most surgeons cut because they’re, well, surgeons. Can’t pay those golf dues if they don’t. But fortunately mine were patient.

• Like Like x 3
  9. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    My personal Drs practice is basically functional medicine. We do detailed labs twice a year. We look to optimize my numbers not just have them be in the testing parameters. I actually have a teleconference with him tonight to go over my latest lab work. I spend 750 per year on labs and consults plus the cost of compounded meds which comes to another 750. Thats it for all my medical expenses.

• Like Like x 1
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I prefer to have the best medicine. Unfortunately we live in a society that does not take care of itself.

While it is my opinion that “universal healthcare” is inferior. Unless you want to charge more taxes for those that smoke/are obese (can’t prove it is a medical condition/type 2 diabetic and refuse to take the measures to reverse it over expensive medications then “universal healthcare” has no standing.

The catch 22 of freedom for sure arises with healthcare.

• Like Like x 1
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Had a similar experience with a PA for my knee recently. Shoot. We know there is an issue but the X-Ray looked good. He recommended being careful and doing strength exercises. If I wanted he would order and mri but did not feel it necessary. I am pretty sure I have a partial meniscus tear. But not worth the knife at this point. Or an mri…

12. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I was in severe shoulder pain my pcp referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. I was worried that that meant surgery. Honestly I was willing to get surgery to stop the pain. The surgeon ordered an X-ray said he thought an injection could take care of it. It has been three weeks and I am pain free. I think it was cortisone. He had his pa instruct me in exercises to strengthen the area. I am hopeful.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    universal healthcare creates the infinite patient, why take care of myself if my healthcare is paid for. They can just give me a pill.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I don’t believe this is supported by most of the world that provides universal health care.

If anything it’s the opposite, because of the long wait times to get in to see a doctor and the correlated diagnostics.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Actually, the opposite ends up being the case. Because people have access to healthcare, they engage in preventative health care and go get issues checked before they become disastrous. It ends up reducing costs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    If this were true, you would expect that countries with universal healthcare would have worse metrics for things like obesity or other risky behaviors. Is that the case? Or is the US higher than the majority of countries on those metrics too, despite the lack of universal healthcare?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. ovillegator

ovillegator Premium Member

Jul 29, 2009
    St. Augustine!
    Well, doesn't a long wait time mean you actually don't have 'universal health care'?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's telling that these people get angry over the idea that we should teach the next generation of doctors about unconscious bias and seek to promote diversity in the field when we have robust evidence that unconscious bias and the lack of diversity in the field are significant contributors to Black people having significantly worse healthcare outcomes than white people.

19. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I know once again I am the minority but I prefer to enjoy the years I have here on earth. If I should die before my time at least I ate and did the things I enjoyed. Yes I'm an obese smoking diabetic who doesn't do a whole lot of exercise but I have enjoyed my 72 years on this earth.

I enjoy telling this story to health nuts I know. When I was 35 I had a massive heart attack, a lot of mussel damage to my heart. I spent 18 days in the hospital and several months in cardiac rehab. My cardiologist at the time was a fairly young health nut, he told me if I quit smoking and lost some weight I could live another 30 years or more. Here 37 years later here I am still kicking. Know where he is? Yeah he died 25 or so years ago.

Yeah I won't lie, I wish I had quit smoking 35 years ago but I have no real regrets, I have enjoyed those years of smoking and eating what I want. I did kinda tell one lie, although I don't exercise I do take a lot of long woods walks. I don't think of them as exercise because I enjoy hiking and it is more of a recreation than an exercise.

• Like Like x 1
  20. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Do you think dr's like to prescribe metformin? If a Dr tells you to eat right and exercise yet 6 months later you come in for an appointment and your blood sugar levels are high what are they supposed to do?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1