Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fox shaming Cosby show actor bagging groceries

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Sep 3, 2018.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Urkel was the show though, this guy was just a side character. He might have made some decent money, but I doubt his role gave him huge leverage on salary or on syndication royalties.

2. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I wonder in the wake of the whole Cosby trial if the residuals and royalties will dry up for everyone. I mean, are stations still airing the show? I hope Rudy and Theo don't have to get a 2nd job now.

3. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Wow. Studio makeup does wonders.

4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I think people might have an unrealistic idea how much money he made while on the Cosby Show. I have no idea what his salary was, but we probably assume being on TV, esp. in a recurring role equals "big" money. I bet unless you're one of the primary actors it's just good money, and only 44 episodes worth. Not enough to just coast thorough life after

A discussion what what "C-list" actors might make. Just random people on a forum, but everything else I've found seems to be about the same.

How much do C-list actors earn?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Too funny. This was my favorite post from 2010:

6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    He's been working as a character actor for years, and an adjunct Professor at Yale. Even as a minor "star" on the Cosby Show 30 years ago, I can't imagine he's earning more than scale, which is $980 for a day, and $3320 for a week. Can't imagine the teaching gig paying that much, as it's non-tenured. So is it a shock he had to take a part time job to make ends meet in-between acting gigs? Not really. Especially when you consider his agent takes 10% of every acting job.

Show business is nasty, and it spits out and chews up more people than anyone can really imagine. The fact he's been a working actor for years says something.

On the plus side, the extra publicity he's gotten will likely lead to more acting jobs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nothing wrong with that, I absolutely agree.

I do wonder though, why no mention of Fox News in your post? The Daily Mail is a tabloid and this kind of "expose" is expected. Fox News holds itself out as legitimate journalism outfit and simply republished the content. That being said, I do think there is a place for "where are they now" pieces. The Daily Mail article should have spurred Fox News into interviewing him and seeing what has happened and is happening (you know, like GMA), or even where the entire cast is currently in life. But simply reposting tabloid click bait? Come on.

8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Yeah, I don't think that acting career is going to work out for him, but since he's Canadian he's got the free health care, so he'll be okay even if he ends up working at Tim Horton's.

9. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

I mentioned Daily Mail because it was their story that Fox echoed...and I am no defender of Fox or any other mainstream profit machine masquerading as "news".

10. mutz87

mutz87 Ain't me VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    The woman who took the photo seems to be feeling massive regret. She said she didn't mean to shame him. Seem it was more about a celebrity sighting, not meant as anything malicious. Makes sense, though these types of things can (and clearly have) take on a life of their own.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  11. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    I suspect this is the plight of ~ 95% of actors - taking waitress/waiter jobs or similar between gigs. Work gives us dignity. Hats off to him for doing what he has to do to pay the bills. Don't we all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I think the problem wasn't that she took the photo, it's just that (apparently by accident) the were very unflattering photos. If she had asked him for pic, he had smiled, and it was framed to avoid the stained t-shirt this probably wouldn't have blown up the way it did. The picture as taken made him look angry that she had "caught" him working at Trader Joe's, or at least it was easy to read that interpretation into the image.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    As I wrote earlier, I don't consider it shaming him, at least unfairly so. Celebs, even minor ones, are going to be reported on. "Where are they now" has a bit of accident gawking to it, but these are people who chose careers in show business.
    Of course, it is interesting to see a major media outlet stepping up to criticize what it considers shaming the guy ... :rolleyes:

After Fox News shamed Geoffrey Owens for Trader Joe's job, Fox show calls out "the cruelty of social media" for shaming Geoffrey Owens for Trader Joe's job

14. tilly

My question is why did the OP not tag the actual source of the story, instead going after the conservative news outlet that was echoing the original source. #thingsthatmakeyougohmmm

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Why not ask the OP? I think he'll say the original source was SWNS.com, (not the UK Daily Mail story Fox linked to). SWNS.com is simply a newswire service. It's up to the news to pick up their photos and videos for stories. Fox picked it up. :eek:

Real reason is: THATS WHERE I SAW THE STORY.

16. squigator

squigator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks to Fox the guy is now getting new opportunities.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Shouldn't we thank whoever is giving him the opportunity? Or do you think Fox News was playing 3D chess and their end game was finding him a job?

18. squigator

squigator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I give all the credit to the actor for demonstrating grace and both a positive attitude and work ethic. He couldn't have handled the situation any better.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. tilly

Because I wasn't the one that was questioning which source was being used.

20. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let’s take your implied assumption that the OP was just trying to make Fox News look bad. So what? Does the OP’s actions somehow “exonerate” Fox News for “tabloiding it up.”