Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(GYM) Four Gators Advance to NCAA Championships (UF Update) merged w/earlier threads

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorjjh, Apr 2, 2019.

1. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Jenny Rowland does a lot very well. However, she has demonstrated an inability to prepare the girls to do their best when it counts.. So far, she has has failed come crunch time even with the tools to win it all. Sadly, there is something missing in her own coaching arsenal.

2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Saturday, April 6, 2019
    Gators Miss Advancing to NCAA Championships
    Mary Howard UF
    Major and minor deductions in Saturday's NCAA Corvallis Regional prevent the Gators from advancing the NCAA Championships.
    Florida turned in the meet's high team total for vault (49.375) and floor exercise (49.425), but couldn't quite close the gap to claim an advancing position.
    QUOTES

On tonight's performance:
    "Congratulations to Denver and Oregon State. They both put together great meets tonight.

"As for the Gators, this was not a night that I foresaw coming whatsoever. This team has been confident and consistent throughout this season. After the problems on the first event, this team came to life. I saw them building on each other through the rest of the competition. They fought, but it wasn't enough. Too many major mistakes and too many little mistakes cost us tonight. The Gators beat themselves. We missed an opportunity.

"We will learn from this experience as it will sting for quite a while. This is a team with a lot of heart and pride. I know they will use this to get better." – Florida Head Coach Jenny Rowland
    Gators Miss Advancing to NCAA Championships - Florida Gators

3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

4. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    That's a major choke job. With that Freshman class you simply cannot lose to the likes of Denver and Oregon State.

5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Bit of a downer, not to advance. A shocker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gators did well in 3 of the 4 events, right? Even better than normal on vault. Beam was their downfall. So, I don’t think it is as *systematic* as others feel.

7. G2MGA

G2MGA GC Legend

Aug 30, 2007
    Pretty disappointing to have by far the worst meet of the year in that situation, but it was a tough hand dealt. I do sometimes wonder why we don't schedule differently with 2-meet weekends, quad meets, etc. during the regular season so we have more experience with some of these different elements that can bite you in the postseason.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember many comments like this about Faehn after she couldnt win it all for many years. Now Rowland still has to prove it, but I think she will. Next year will be a loaded team

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

From your mouth to G-d's ears!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    are not 2 of the signees going to defer, or never even enroll at all due to next year being a Olympic year, like Hernandez and raisman?

11. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    This is useful. Host meets that match what you see at regionals.

12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We were ranked fourth going into regionals, Denver was ranked fifth, they are hardly a scrub team. We still should have advanced, but the problem was having to fly 3000 miles to Corvallis because they determine the regional sites years in advance and slot the teams based on the regional sites not the seeds..so a team not seeded to advance but with a legit shot on their home floor got every advantage.
    And then on top of that, we were the number one seed in the region, had the highest score out of the first night, and were given the worst rotation last night too (also predetermined). OSU got the Olympic rotation last night on top of having home gym.
    Just like the volleyball debacle we endured at Texas a few years ago that forced instant replay into volleyball, and our hosing at the WCWS last year starting the conversation about replay there, hope this forces changes. They should ha w flexibility within a seed line or two to make things easier. We were the only team in that regional from east of the Mississippi. Don’t know why it always has to be us that takes the hit to force change though.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Are we putting in bids to be a host site?

14. G2MGA

G2MGA GC Legend

Aug 30, 2007
    We're not hosting anytime in the near future (see below). The geographic distribution is rather poor and it's surprising how few are in places with good attendance. I guess it's a "grow the game" type of thing as I'd be shocked if the likes of UF, UA, UGA and LSU weren't bidding every year.

2020 WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS DATES AND SITES
    Round City Venue Dates Host
    Regional Norman, Okla. Lloyd Noble Center April 2 - 4 Oklahoma
    Regional Denver, Colo. Magness Arena April 2 - 4 Denver
    Regional University Park, Pa. Rec Hall April 2 - 4 Penn State
    Regional Los Angeles, Calif. Pauley Pavilion April 2 - 4 UCLA
    Championship Forth Worth, Texas Dickies Arena April 17 - 18 Texas Woman's
    2021 WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS DATES AND SITES
    Regional Salt Lake City, Utah Jon M. Huntsman Arena April 1 - 3 Utah
    Regional Columbia, Mo. Mizzou Arena April 1 - 3 Missouri
    Regional Durham, N.H. Whittemore Center Arena April 1 - 3 New Hampshire
    Regional Morgantown, W.Va. WVU Coliseum April 1 - 3 West Virginia
    Championship Fort Worth, Texas Dickies Arena April 16 - 17 Texas Woman's
    2022 WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS DATES AND SITES
    Regional Lexington, Ky. Memorial Coliseum March 31 - April 2 Kentucky
    Regional Seattle, Wash. Alaska Airlines Arena March 31 - April 2 Washington
    Regional Auburn, Ala. Auburn Arena March 31 - April 2 Auburn
    Regional Raleigh, N.C. Reynolds Coliseum March 31 - April 2 NC State
    Championship Fort Worth, Texas Dickies Arena April 15 - 16 Texas Woman's

15. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Wow, stunning, given the talent. Tough ending for the seniors. Lost it on beam, had high score on vault and floor.

I guess hosting was a big boost for Oregon St. Crowd was a factor as they advanced.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Win the SEC Championships or put in a strong bid to host. The posted list shows top National powerhouses and bottom-feeder SEC programs bidding.

I like Coach Rowland, but her teams have somewhat peaked in February, then tighten up in March/April I wouldn't liken anything that happened to the Austin screwjob or OKC debacle. They just fell off the beam twice.

17. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Plus everything got messed up when they went to the new format. Reducing 6 to 4 sites eliminated some and pushed others around.

18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Winning the SEC championships wouldn’t have mattered, our RQS still likely would have been 4th - their rankings system is entirely based on a calculation of season scores. And because OSU was a host and seeded 15th, the 4th seed got sent there, based on their bracket system. It’s a terrible way to run an event, it would be like if softball host cities were picked a year in advance, and if as the overall number one we had to travel to Bama.
    I do agree we still should have found our way out last night, but the ncaa put us in a position to fail. And in a way it’s worse than a single blown call in a long game or match, it was systemic. As I said, we were also given the worst rotation order as the one seed and highest scorer the previous day , and the home team, who should have been the ones traveling, were given that too.
    The system needs some overhaul.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl