Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Former Louisville players suing NCAA

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by RealGatorFan, Jul 11, 2018.

1. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ex-Louisville players sue NCAA over vacated national title

The suit also includes Luke Hancock's Final 4 MVP award that was also stripped. I can't say I blame them since they had nothing to do with the wrongdoings. Is it fair to penalize the whole team? It doesn't prevent future violations because the wrongdoers wouldn't care less it impacted the whole team.

2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    It's not about being fair or not. It is the rule. If you don't like it change the rule.

It's silly to vacate a title anyway. Everyone know they won. They know Bush won the Heisman, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I disagree completely. They cheated their way to a title, so it should be stripped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I don’t disagree with you. My point was not that they shouldn’t take away the title. It was that they won and everyone will remember. If it turned out that something happened and they stripped the back to back titles, we would still celebrate that team and everyone will remember how good they were.

5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Do the players possess the title or does the school?

Does the NCAA view that the institution cheated and if they hadn’t cheated they’d never have made it to the title game. If so, then the players aren’t blameless either. Thus, can strip an individual award on a variety of reasons.

6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Disagree completely.

Of course the "statute of limitations" probably passed on our back to back titles anyway. There is a limit to these things. But let's hypothetically say it was discovered in 2011 that a few of our players were directly paid off, or some other major illegal recruiting enticement. Would you really still celebrate that as a "win"? I wouldn't. Such a title should be stripped. Cheaters records should be stripped.

Now it's a bit silly that the kid has his "Final 4 MVP" award stripped. Unless he was involved in cheating himself (no idea, but I am going to assume he wasn't) - then the individual awards should stand. Only the team award should be vacated since this cheating and corruption occurred at an institutional level. If the kids want to keep their "championship rings" that is their business, pretty sure that's their property anyway. But there should definitely be an * by the team in all record books for a vacated championship, just like all cheaters should get that *.

7. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Again, I think we both agree it's silly to remove the title and especially the Final 4 MVP. It sounds as though they have the right to do so based on the rules in place today. They need to change that rule.

They were removed from a sex scandal with recruits correct? To add to what bogey said, do you think they wouldn't have won without the recruits getting sexual favors? I am pretty sure the majority of recruits get sexual favors in some way.

8. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    So......did the players have to turn in their championship rings? If not then they are really wasting time and money. Everyone (especially thanks to the internet) will remember that they did win a title that year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Its a ridiculous lawsuit that pretty much asserts that a potentially innocent teammate cannot in anyway suffer consequences because of guilty teammates. This obviously isn't the case. I'd bet most every team that has been punished has had innocent parties involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I’m pretty sure Olympics do this all the time in relay events. Cycling has done this in Tour de France. You win as a team, and if one member cheats to win by taking impermissible benefits, the whole team is penalized. Absurd suit and show how litigious we have become. So many lawyers in our population that you sue about everything now. No one is ever wrong any longer. I expect an apology, not a law suit, as your team had strippers at player and recruit events on campus, you had players or family members taking cash from shoe companies. Your team cheated and violated NCAA rules and must suffer the consequences. In reality, the players from other teams that lost to you in the NCAA tournament should sue you, as they lost the opportunity to become champions due to your cheating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    No, I'm saying they SHOULD have their title vacated. Trophies should be removed and banners should be taken down. In the record books it should forever indicate a vacated title. Cheaters get an *. Not really different from how it works in other sports. Though I suppose in the various pro leagues I'm not sure any TEAM has had to "vacate" a team title, it's happened a bunch of times in at other levels of sport (NCAA, High School, Olympics, etc).

We'll never know if they "would have won" because we don't know if those recruits would have gone there without the type of illegal environment that was created in their recruiting process. I get the "sexual favors" angle is totally different than just straight up paying a player/AAU coach $200,000 or something along those lines, not sure it's better or worse, but the bottom line it's against the rules. They were caught, they should vacate that title.

Now I do agree that an innocent player, if he won an individual award, that should still stand regardless of the team having forfeited or vacated results.

12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Do we get to take our 2012 Elite 8 loss off our NCAA record?

And just a nitpick, there is no Final Four MVP. It is a Final Four MOP (Most Outstanding Player).

13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Can we sue the Louisville team, program, and players for cheating and robbing us gator fans a trip to the final four? I want compensation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I think we both agree. What I am saying is that it is silly to take it away, even if they deserve it, because everyone knows who won.

I think other types of punishment would be better. Future postseason bans or something that really harms the University (players would be able to transfer without penalty).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I could be mistaken on this, but I am pretty sure the schools themselves handle the arrangements for the championship rings. The schools literally buy the rings. It isn't something the NCAA does. UCF made up rings for their perfect football season, and that will mean about the same as the rings for Louisville vacated season. Not sure how they would get those back, but then again I'm pretty sure they make schools take down banners so nothing would be surprising. I guess it's probably easier for them to force schools to take down banners, because the schools are "member institutions". Not sure they have any sway over former players to get them to turn in rings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1