Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Former GATOR Players

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by WESGATORS, Apr 17, 2013.

1. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Recruit

Apr 10, 2016
    Thank you for the update.

The link gtj31 provided on the previous post was all positive about Puk. Have you read something different?

"8 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 14 K

Puk fell from his perch as prospective No. 1 overall pick last year after a rocky season at Florida, but has been lights-out in pro ball. The 6-foot-7 lefthander struck out seven in a four-inning relief stint at San Jose and followed up with seven more punchouts in four innings at Modesto last week. The quality of his control has been a surprise, with just three walks all season. With premium stuff (98 mph fastball, plus slider with vicious tilt) and his command in prime form, opponents are hitting a mere .098 against Puk this year."

What kind of stats does Shore have?

2. gatorcal

gatorcal GC Legend

May 13, 2009
    Justin Shafer started the year in HiA and was tearing it up. Promoted to AA and is struggling a little now.

3. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Brian Johnson with a complete game shutout today 0 walks, 8 so. Pretty fair outing. Then sent back to the minors:(
    http://m.redsox.mlb.com/news/article/232801736/brian-johnson-goes-distance-in-red-sox-shutout/
    BOSTON -- As far as spot starts go, Brian Johnson was spot on for the Red Sox on Saturday afternoon.

The lefty was marvelous in his Fenway Park debut, firing a five-hit shutout in Boston's 6-0 victory over the Mariners, extending the Red Sox's win streak to six games.
    For Johnson, the masterpiece (eight strikeouts, no walks) came in just his third career start. With David Price returning to the Red Sox on Monday, Johnson was optioned back to Triple-A Pawtucket after the game. It was the second time this season he has won a start for the Red Sox on a one-day stint on the roster.

"That's the reality of the game," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "Brian is aware of it. We had a chance to congratulate him and yet option him back to Pawtucket with David Price coming here Monday. But still, take nothing away from what Brian did today. He had complete command of this game."

It was Johnson's first nine-inning complete game in his professional career. It was the first complete game by any Red Sox pitcher this season, and the first shutout for a Boston starter since Steven Wright on Aug. 5, 2016, at Dodger Stadium. The last Red Sox pitcher to throw a shutout in his Fenway debut? Hall of Famer Pedro Martinez in 1998, also against Seattle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I understand wanting to find room for David Mr. Postseason Price, but it seems like they have other options. Anyway, fantastic result for Brian!

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

5. gators4life

gators4life GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    Gainesville,FL
    Let me clarify by saying that they were scuffling a little compared to how they started. Which they both started on fire. So their numbers are still really good.

Puk has a 3.43 ERA W-L 3-4 69K's in 44.2 IP with 20BB. I mean those are really solid numbers for him so not saying they are doing bad even though I did use the word struggling a little. Just a few more walks but not a ton of runs being scored in bunches.

Shore still with some very solid numbers with a 3.12 ERA in 34.2 IP with 32K's and only 6 BB.

Dane Dunning is still adjusting to his new assignment in Class A Advanced giving up too many walks. I am sure he will get back on track. He only had 2 walks in single A in 26 IP but already has 10BB in 14 IP in Class A Advanced.

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ah--
    The game of baseball vs the business of baseball...

7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yup.

I am guessing he is trade bait and he really delivered in his showcase event.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorcal

gatorcal GC Legend

May 13, 2009
    Puk made the California League All-Star game. BA did a write-up on him.

A.J. Puk, LHP, Stockton (Athletics): The No. 6 overall pick last June has been absolutely electric in his first full professional season. With a 98-mph fastball and a side-to-side slider that is one of the best secondary pitches in the minors, Puk leads all starters in professional baseball with 14.42 strikeouts-per-nine innings (87 strikeouts in 54.1 innings). He has limited opponents to a .194 batting average, one home run, and a 1.12 WHIP. Puk’s only issue is occasional wildness, but the 6-foot-7, 220-pound lefthander has been lights out, regardless.
    Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/california-league-star-game/#IcImhBDF5yTpyhsX.99

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  9. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    His issue has always been wildness. Far too many 3 ball counts and far too many walks. If memory serves, his BAA his junior year was quite low. If he can get it ironed out, the dude can be very good. I still think his slider has similarities to Randy Johnson. I love that pitch. It is awesome when on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. gatorcal

gatorcal GC Legend

May 13, 2009
    Randy Johnson is a good comp, and the guy I'm sure the A's are hoping Puk turns into. I just looked up his stats. For his career he averaged 3.3 BB/9 and 10.6 K/9. This year, Puk is at 3.39 and 14.46 (this # will obviously go down as he moves up). So, his walk rate isn't that unrealistic for a big power pitcher, though he could definitely stand to bring it down a touch. And, you are right about the 3 ball counts. Walks are bad, too many hitter's counts at that level are much worse.

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah, I get making the Randy Johnson comparisons but Puk has a long way to go to merit that.

12. gatorcal

gatorcal GC Legend

May 13, 2009
    Puk promoted to AA yesterday and Austin Maddox got called up to the show (to replace Brian Johnson who went to the DL).

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Definitely took Maddox longer than I expected but glad to see he made the show.

14. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Zunino is absolutely on fire since being called back up at the end of May. Had the Mariners game on tonight after CWS, and he hit two more out.

• Like Like x 2
  15. gators4life

gators4life GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    Gainesville,FL
    I believe he has something like 25 RBIs already just in the month of June. Ridiculous.

Good for him. Hopefully this will bring his confidence back. If he can hit. 250 with some power, he can play for a long time. His tear won't last for ever, so hopefully he can stay consistent after he cools off.

16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    And ... Wingtee got promoted from Bud Lite to Stella Artois ..

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Still need to get promoted to AA and AAA

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Promotion to AA means no more Stella or Bud Lite.

19. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
  20. gatorcal

gatorcal GC Legend

May 13, 2009
    Bader just got called up for the Cards. Supposed to be in the lineup tonight.

• Like Like x 2