Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Former GATOR Players

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by WESGATORS, Apr 17, 2013.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    jjh--

We will see him in the "show"--he can flat out swing it--

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators in Pro Baseball: Bader the most valuable Cardinal?
    By Kyle Bennett GVL Sun

Cardinals outfielder Harrison Bader has gone 7-for-36 this month, well below his season average, and has not stolen a base in all of June. His only multi-base hit was a double on June 6 against Miami and has yet to tally an RBI this month. With all that said, he is still drawing a lot of starts for St. Louis because he is outperforming veteran Dexter Fowler in nearly every hitting category and is a younger, more athletic fielder at this point in his career. It’s hard to make a case for benching Bader, as he holds the highest Wins Above Replacement (WAR) on the team, making him the most valuable Cardinal according to the WAR statistic, which is an all-inclusive way to measure and compare players.

(This is the Gvl Sun's periodic report on Gators in the pros from this morning, Bader is the feature there are notes on a number of Former Gator players )

Gators in Pro Baseball: Bader the most valuable Cardinal? - GatorSports.com

• Like Like x 3
  5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  6. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Former UF pitcher thriving for Daytona Tortugas - GatorSports.com

DAYTONA BEACH — Like most locals kids, Scott Moss grew up going to Jackie Robinson Ballpark and watching the Daytona Cubs. The difference now, however, is Moss no longer watches from the stands.

Instead, the former DeLand product catches games from the dugout, and, on every fifth day, from the mound.

“I remember seeing a bunch of those old Cubs players who are in the majors now, it’s pretty cool,” said Moss. “Sitting in the stands, it’s a different experience, though.”

Moss played at DeLand from 2010-13, and was named The Daytona Beach News-Journal’s Player of the Year during his senior season after leading the Bulldogs with a staggering 0.52 ERA and 70 strikeouts. The lefty was drafted in the 38th round by the Colorado Rockies the following summer, but opted to attend the University of Florida instead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators in Pro Baseball: Tebow showing real improvement
    By Kyle Bennett Gvl Sun 6/24/18

Rumble Ponies right fielder Timothy R. Tebow has been showing serious signs of improvement in June. His batting average jumped up 18 percentage points this month and he’s now hitting .304 for the month. For comparison, his average dipped five percentage points through June of last season in a lower league. He has a home run and five doubles this month to go along with his improved average and knocked in two RBIs on two doubles on Tuesday in a game where he was 2-for-4. He’s also not striking out as much. The lefty has gone from striking out every 2.5 plate appearances to every 3.8, which is significant, because it shows he is seeing the ball more clearly. And just this Friday, Tebow was 2-for-3 with a home run.

Anthony DeSclafani (RHP) — Cincinnati Reds

It’s unusual for a pitcher to be responsible for driving in more runs than he allows in a game. It’s even more unusual when that pitcher allows multiple runs. But Anthony DeSclafani, who made his fourth start since returning from the DL, held the Chicago Cubs to two runs over 6 ⅓ innings. Perhaps most impressive — he launched a grand slam in the third inning.
    “I wasn’t in swing mode at first,” he told Cincinnati.com. “I was going to maybe try and foul something off or try to look for a pitch. … I just said screw this: Grip and rip. If it’s a fastball, try to get the head out and square it up.”
    On the mound, the right-handed pitcher/slugger threw 55 of his 97 pitches for strikes, racking up three Ks and scattering four walks and three hits. The start was Disco’s longest of the season and earned him his first quality start since 2016.

Darren O’Day (RHP) — Baltimore Orioles
    O’Day made a pair of appearances in relief duty for the Orioles this week. He totaled 42 pitches in 2 ⅔ innings and gave up two hits with four Ks and a walk. The veteran right hander was unavailable on Tuesday because of a hamstring issue but was good to go after that. O’Day could potentially face long-time teammate and friend Ryan Flaherty (now on Atlanta) as the Orioles will finish up their series against the Braves today. The scenario could’ve happened on Friday in the first game of the series but O’s manager Buck Showalter elected to intentionally walk Flaherty instead of have O’Day pitch to him.

see the rest at
    Gators in Pro Baseball: Tebow showing real improvement - GatorSports.com

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    another one of 'the good guys'

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    OK guys and gals--I thought this would be appreciated by all here coming from Alan on a Facebook post he made this morning--It is with regards to what July 9th means to him--it's lengthy (and I'm prejudice I know) but quite a good read--I love the comments he makes towards the importance of Coach Mac in his life--

July 9th...

To most this a just a hot summer day, to some even the start of a vacation, and a few I am sure a day that is truly special. For me, July 9th, is the hardest day I face all year.

I’ve typed this post out multiple times not just the morning but dozens over the last 7 years and every time I hit “cancel” at the end. Too hard is what I tell myself, most people won’t understand, or more simply why...why would I share something about a day that bothers me so much I don’t sleep, I won’t eat more than I have to, and will talk even less?? For sympathy some will say, no. Not something I have or will ever ask for. For relief, get it off your chest, maybe. But I haven’t shared it for 7 years what’s another? This go around...I have decided to hit share to show what July 9th has done for me.

I’m not sure a day passes I do not get asked about my baseball career. Most very trivial and fun to answer....where was your favorite place to play, what kind of glove did you wear, did they ever let you hit, how tall is Derek Jeter?? Some require a more calculated response and the memory brings a small emotional wince....who was your favorite teammate, what was your favorite game you pitched, how did you get hurt, why aren’t you still playing?? But the one question with the hardest punch....do you miss it? I look down and roll the question around in my head every time it is asked. How do I answer this? What do I want to show this person about me? Do I lie?? You know what baseball is such a hard life, I don’t know if I could go back. While very proud of what I did I’m glad the next chapter is here. Do I mix in a little but very guarded truth? Some of it I miss. The game itself of course but playing everyday for 10 months straight, the bus trips and plane rides, the solitude of being on your own, fighting impossible odds? Not really, I’m glad to be where I am now and able to look back on fond memories. Or do I be honest, brutally honest?? Yes. I miss it everyday. I miss it every time my alarm goes off to start my morning. I miss it every time I get in the shower and rub the scars left from the game itself and surgery. I miss it every time look at the glove with my name on my desk at work. I miss it every time I go to the gym and fight the pain of every injury acquired over 28 years. I miss it every time I go to my travel team’s practice, pick up a baseball, and find the best curveball seam before I throw it in to the bucket. I miss it every time I lay my head down at night, knowing I didn’t stand on a mound that day....yes I miss baseball and on July 9th that feeling hurts the most.

July 9, 2011

The last day I ever competed on a baseball field...

I remember too much about that day and many times I’ve wished to forget it. I was in Reading, PA in seemingly my 100th rehab stint of the past four years. Setback after setback and surgery after surgery I battled everyday just to function physically and mentally. Getting up that morning, I hurt so bad I couldn’t put on my shirt without help. An embarrassing thing to ask your roommate for help with. Riding to the field I turned my iPod up and up trying to drown out the thump in my shoulder. Finally to the field, great now I have to get dressed again. Putting on my socks was even a challenge and doing so under the stares of your peers made the chore even worse. Get to the training room. I didn’t even count Advil at that point anymore, just shook the bottle twice and swallowed what was there. Even jogging down the foul line for stretch was miserable, but seeing one of our coordinators and my biggest mentor in my career was in town at least let the pain subside momentarily. I gave Pat McMahon a big hug and squeezed harder than normal. Coach Mac was my college coach at UF and helped me overcome my first major injury and helped me to love the game again after a rough 3 years. Many long conversations and lots of tears shed in his office but he was a huge reason I had the opportunity I did to play. As I let go of the hug, I could see it on his face. He knew something was wrong even though I replied great to his question of how I was. I watched him out of the corner of my eye as I began to throw. I’m not sure which hurt worse, the throbbing pain radiating from my ear, down through my shoulder, to my fingertips...or the look on his face. I could see the pain on it as I ran by him to finish our drills for the day and to condition. Before we went back into the clubhouse Mac called me to the bullpen to “work” on a few things on our own. Two pitches in I couldn’t do anything for the pain and sat down on the bench head in my hands. He knelt down in front of me and lifted my hat bill to look me in the face and I’m not sure who was fighting back bigger tears, Mac or I. All I could manage was, “It’s over.” Two words I never wanted to say. Not knowing what to say I’m sure he just hugged me again and we walked back to the dugout in silence. Back in the clubhouse I shook out two more handfuls of Advil and swallowed them with a cup of Gatorade wishing for something more. I put on my uniform a little slower that day not only because of the pain but because deep down I new it was the last time no matter the outcome of that night. I can still remember the noise my shoelaces made tightening them down. As I jogged out of the dugout, I made eye contact with Mac, gave him a nod and went down to the bullpen. The game itself went by as a blur but with a 3 run lead in the 8th the radio mic keyed and said Horne has the 9th. All I could think is, one more time. I maybe threw 8 pitches in the pen, wasn’t going to get any better. Jogging to the mound everything went dead. Crowd noise, the smells, the sights, I was in my own bubble. A bubble of solitude and pain. I could here my spikes crunch the clay and the rocks roll in the rosin bag as I flipped it. One more time. Play ball....the pain was so high at this point I didn’t feel anything but deadness in my arm. Groundball, out. That’s a start. Pop up, out. I may survive. Pitch one to batter three, rip. Blinding pain. I made a circle around the back of the mound and found Mac in the dugout. He was on the top step. I stared at him and felt my shoulder sinking lower and lower with a new tear. Back up the mound and I went to battle with nothing. Walk. Broken bat single. Walk. The finish line so close but so far away. I didn’t even know my manager had came out when he slapped me on the shoulder. “Alan we are gonna get you some help here and close this thing out.” No. Do not take this from me is what I wanted to say but the words wouldn’t come out. It’s over....it’s over. As I sat down on the bench I didn’t hear anything just blankly stared at the mound. Play ball. First pitch, walk off grand slam. It’s over. I watched the celebration as my teammates trickled by on their way to the locker room. It’s over. I sat there watching the fireworks knowing this was the last time I would do it from a dugout, as a player anyways. Dripping in sweat and pain I walked back to the locker room to face the moment every player fears but all must succumb to....The call didn’t happen that day but 3 days later my manager called me into his office. I and everyone in that locker room knew what for. No matter how that conversation is handled, it’s the toughest one in every player’s career. It’s over. What do I do now? Packing your bags in front of a locker room full of brothers and teammates is the most humbling thing you can ask a player to do. Defeat surrounds you and no sympathies from anyone dulls that pain. It’s over. Where do I go from here?

July 9, 2018

I share all of this not for sympathy but hopefully to inspire. Use the trials you endure and the scars left behind not to show weakness but to build strength going forward. Use your challenges to wield the hammer to forge your armor. With each swing become tougher than you were the day before. Build yourself up day by day. Use that same hammer to forge your sword. Fight for the things you want, fight for the things you deserve. Be relentless. Lastly swing that hammer to forge your shield. Use it to block the blows that come towards the ones dearest to you in their times of need. Defend them because you can and show them what they mean to you. In time you may need their shield in return.

July 9th....yes I miss it. But today I will be stronger than yesterday. I am ready for battle. Wield your hammer and fight on.

God Bless,

AH

LikeShow more reactions
    Comment

11657173Deb Hall, Sara Marie and 171 others

• Like x 5
    • Best Post Ever x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  12. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    what a moving testament from a ballplayer about meeting the end of a career way too early, thanks Bill, showed a little of what made the kids like Mac as much as they did

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

John--

We had no idea that this post was coming--truthfully, it was a tough read first time through--Alan has his own way with words and we couldn't be prouder of him--

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Bill thanks to you, and Alan, for sharing this. From the fans in the stands, this is a real eye opener about what players can go through and the courage they exhibit just by walking out to the field or the mound. My heart breaks that this would be the ending for someone who loves the game so much, but I’m glad he still has and cherishes good memories.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Some great baseball prose. Poetry, really! Thanks for sharing.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Incredible. Gonna read this again and again

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators in Pro Baseball: Bader shines, more land on DL
    By Kyle Bennett - July 10, 2018 Gvl Sun

As the number of active Gators on major league rosters dwindle, Harrison Bader just keeps hammering away. In a two-game span this week, the second-year Cardinal outfielder went 5-for-10 from the plate with two doubles, a pair of RBIs, a stolen base and a home run. We can start calling him the king of Gators in Pro Baseball (at least until Tebow arrives). That title may be a bit hyperbolic, but many times the path to the throne is won by the law of attrition. Bader and DeSclafani are the only active Gators right now on MLB rosters and Disco just pitched his seventh game this season after missing all of 2017. Mike Zunino you say? Maybe, if he could get his batting average above .200 and not strike out 42 percent of the time.

Anthony DeSclafani (RHP) — Cincinnati Reds
    DeSclafani’s started last Tuesday in a 5 ⅓ inning start against the lowly White Sox. The Southsiders blasted their way to three home runs and five earned runs in Disco’s sixth start this season, the most runs allowed by the Reds starter this year. The right-hander bounced back with his best outing this season in terms of length and runs allowed in a win Monday night. It was an all-Buckeye state battle with the Indians in which Disco (4-1) allowed just one run on five hits with three Ks through seven innings.

Brian Johnson (LHP) — Boston
    Johnson was taken out after 4 ⅔ innings of work in his July 4 start against the Nationals, just one out shy of earning his second win of the season. The lefty conceded three runs on 11 hits in his two recent starts and is projected to factor into the rotation for the near future while Boston’s regular rotation tries to get back healthy. The 27-year-old will miss one start as he himself tries to come back from some hip inflammation that landed him on the 10-day DL on Sunday. He is thought to make the last start for the Red Sox going into the All-Star break.

read the full report: Gators in Pro Baseball: Bader shines, more land on DL - GatorSports.com

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That was a tough read for any baseball family....amazingly written.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Den Dekker helps Mets in his first game back in MLB
    By gatorsports/ GVL Sun

NEW YORK — The New York Mets have promoted outfielder Matt den Dekker, a former University of Florida standout, on Wednesday.

After the Phillies’ Maikel Franco reached on a single with one out in the seventh, pinch-hitter Jesmuel Valentin hit a fly ball to shallow center. Den Dekker ran in and slid to make the catch

read the rest Den Dekker helps Mets in his first game back in MLB - GatorSports.com

• Like Like x 2
  20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1