Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Forget 20 wins - what are our chances at a winning season?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by The_RH_Factor, Feb 9, 2019.

1. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Legend

Aug 11, 2010
    I was wondering if we’d win 20 this year, but now I’m wondering if we can have a winning season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    We have 4 very winnable games against Vanderbilt (2 times), Missouri, and Georgia. I've pretty much given up hope on us upsetting Alabama and LSU and, and of course we have 0 chance of beating Kentucky in Rupp.

Looks like we're staring at 16-15 at best.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Counting wins this season doesn't make sense to me unless you enjoy frustration. I'm trying to find improvement and enjoy what I can but its not going to come by the number of wins.

Keith Stones absence is really starting to show regardless of the the box score stats. I don't think this team had or has much margin for error in the front court.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    In Donovan's last season at UF, the gators were 16-17 (8-10). And in White's first season at UF, they were 18-13 (9-9).

Currently, Florida sits at 12-11 (4-6). In their last nine games, Florida has won only three times with eight more SEC games remaining.

In the SEC, Florida has been only 2-3 at home and also 2-3 on the road. There are four more home games and four more road games.

Florida is now on a three-game losing-streak and will need a win badly against the next home game versus Vanderbilt.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Three brutal games and no one quit.

Our freshmen are getting better.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    We can beat LSU in Gainesville. That would get us to 17-14. Win a game in the SECT, 18-15. Win 2 in the NIT, 20 wins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    The freshmen are indeed getting better. I also noticed today that we're not as content to flip the ball around the perimeter for 27 seconds and then throw a prayer at the hoop. It's still not good, but the movement without the ball was improved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Things would look a bit better in the season record department if the refs hadn't stolen the USC game from us. That one still sticks in my craw. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    We get on a roll & end up beating LSU at home 17-14.

13-Feb Vanderbilt W
    16-Feb at Alabama L
    20-Feb at LSU L
    23-Feb Missouri W
    27-Feb at Vanderbilt W
    2-Mar Georgia W
    6-Mar LSU W
    9-Mar at Kentucky L

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    If we beat Vandy at home, it still isn't a lock but certainly better than 50/50.

If we lose to Vandy at home, I'd just about write off even a winning record. On the bright side, we'd have to lose every single remaining game to hit 20 losses. At least we won't do that. I hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This is probably about what the oddmakers would have us at, perhaps as an underdog at home against LSU putting us at an "expected" 16-15.

The schedule does ease up a bit on paper, but the tendency for White (and Donovan too) has been to tank late. So I'm worried we'll lose 1 or 2 extra that we don't expect.

Like I said, if we don't even beat Vandy at home we can pretty much write off even a winning record. It might not even be close in that case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Chances are slim, and slim has packed and is leaving town.

13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    The good news is we can still play our way into the tourney....time is of the essence to get on a roll!

Win more than lose and we’ll be NIT bound. Any tourney action at this stage should be looked upon favorably. E.g. Good for the freshmen. More games possibly at the ExactTech Arena, too!

We do have *good* metrics - given our won/loss record. 38th in the Pomeroy. (10th defense....woeful 110 in offense, though).

• Like Like x 3
  14. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I believe that we are actually a better team with Johnson starting now. Stone's head was not in the game all year, and was not making any positive contribution to the team based upon his talent level. Either he was instructed to stand down or no one in the coaching staff has or had the ability to get him to play up to his potential We have seen this with Allen last year, and now we are seeing it with Hudson who almost was drafted into the NBA last year.

Muschamp and Mac won SEC East Championships within 4 years and still got fired. There simply is a zero tolerance for mediocrity in football at our school. Unfortunately the same standard is not applied in basketball. I would submit that it is harder to win a football division championship than an SEC championship simply because there are more components and also because we have had more success in the SEC basketball than all of the other programs combined over the last 20 years save Kentucky. Watching the Auburns, Georgia, TAMU, Vanderbilt, LSU and Tennessee - programs which have done absolutely nothing out recruit us for bigs year in and year out is inexcusable. Either it is some sought of tacit agreement Florida has consented to soft recruit for the next 20 years after a back to back domination, or there are some serious questions in our coaching philosophy and selection.

Getting McDonalds All Americans is a good sign, but if they can't get you 17 rebounds a game combined then who will?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1