Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

For those defending White on offense

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by hatter18, Jan 7, 2019.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    This topic really shows just how clueless fans really are. What do you want, a rah-rah speech that you see in movies? And with a group of emotionally flat players? He's done that all season long and that hasn't made them magically play any better. There's only 17 seconds left. All it just boils down to at that point is coming up with a play which is what White was doing.

2. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, golly, gee, Cincy, I do so apologize for being a "clueless fan." But I can only plead that I have dedicated my life to becoming fractionally as brilliantly insightful into all basketball matters as you are. Are you sure you aren't the second coming of Tupac on this board?

Coaches have limited time available in timeouts, and Mike unfortunately seemed to spend a lot of time in that particular timeout on analytics, leaving precious little time to communicate the strategy. That's all I was saying.

You need to back off of your from-the-hip characterizing of posters.

3. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    You don't even get how disrespectful and extremely petty it is to critique a head coach for "not utilizing his timeout" the way you, the fan, sees fit. After all the work and energy he's gone through to make sure this program is competing at the highest possible level. So yes you and anyone else who takes issue with a 30 second video has no idea what you're talking about. I honestly don't care about sugarcoating that for you.

4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Cincy is Tupac. Now THAT is a compelling conspiracy theory!
    ‘Pac was one of my all time favorite posters. I tried to coax him out of hiding when it did that interview. It didn’t work.

... or did it????

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Critiquing the coach and players through the eyes of the fan is why this board exists. Board rules say it must be respectful, but if critiques were petty by definition and off-limits, you personally would have been banned long ago. You might try dismounting from that high horse.

6. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    The biggest takeaways were:

Overall Team Notes:

1. Not having a skilled big man is killing the Gators right now. It has forced the Gators to be one-dimensional and have to rely solely on 3 point shooting.

2. Mike White has to find a skilled big man for next year. He said he doesn't follow recruiting so he wasn't aware if a big man is coming in, but the Gators will continue to be inconsistent and one-dimensional until Mike White addresses this.
    a. This pretty much hit home exactly why I and a few others on the board have stated that they need a grad transfer big for next year.
    b. He said that Stokes may in the future provide this, but he's a big time work in progress and a long way to go.

3. Hayes isn't a good rebounder, poor hands and has no post game. Can't be relied on at the 5 and the Gators will struggle against teams with other skilled big men. He did say that Hayes is the only real leader on the team and Allen, Hudson and Stone aren't.

4. Wise is shocked that Florida's defensive stats are as good as they are because he said their team speed is at best average.

5. Other than Hayes, when Allen, Hudson and Stone's shots aren't falling, they aren't doing the little things that should be expected of upperclassmen. This has forced White to play the 3 freshman a lot more minutes because they do the little things.

6. Mike White after rebounds is imploring the team to speed up and quickly go into transition, but for whatever reason they don't.

7. Says Mike White and the other coaches are having a real hard time with this team to get them to do the things they are asking of them.

8. Said K. Allen should never ever be the backup pg. Said he doesn't have a feel for the position and should only play the 2.

9. Hudson has to become a double digit a game scorer going forward.

Notes from SC game:

1. Stone was atrocious. Said even Mick was calling him out for being so bad.

2. Hayes foul trouble forced the Gators to play small way to long and allowed SC to get back in the game at the end of the first half.

3. In the last 11 minutes, Locke missed 4 threes, with 3 of them being really good looks and AN missed 2 easy wide open shots as well.

4. Wise didn't think Martin got an advantage with the refs because he was harder on them and White wasn't. Said Silva got 2 quick fouls so didn't see one side benefiting more than another.

5. Was shocked that SC threw a full court pass with 3.5 seconds left in the game.
    a. Play was terribly defended by Florida.
    b. Hayes shouldn't have been playing Silva so tightly. Has no idea why there wasn't anyone in back of Silva. Said Silva did push off, but not aggreciously enough to call it.
    c. Said White told the team to guard the SC player throwing the inbounds pass, but no one listened.

6. Florida still had 2.5 seconds after that and disliked the play they ran. Said they tried to run the Valparaiso play, but didn't make sense to do that. Should of thrown to Locke or Allen and better off taking a half court shot than to throw the ball down court, especially with the current set of bigs.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    White only needs one more GA to...block the view of cameras so that "fans" can't comment about what he is doing after reviewing one small segment of action. As they say, seeing is believing. Not seeing is...not finding a conspiracy?

8. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Logical critiques are highly encouraged. Illogical critiques either get deleted or mocked. I'm sorry to say that coaches don't always do what you want them to do. They aren't your puppet. Your last insult is quite ironic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. grouchygator

grouchygator Freshman

Jan 6, 2019
    Maybe he is another huge bust in our athletic hires.
    But then again, maybe not.
    We will know in two years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Here are some comments in blue FWIW.

• Like Like x 2
  11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Thanks for this. There isn't much I would disagree with.

This is the first I have heard that White wanted to defend the inbounder. In a way, I am happy to hear that . . . as I think its the right play. But it is shocking that guys aren't capable of following the most basic of instructions. I'd have to look, but did we have a timeout left? The inbounder was at our end of the floor. White didn't see the guy supposed to be on the ball walking away? He couldn't have yelled for him to get on the ball?!!?!? VERY STRANGE!!!!!!

White's frustration seems very apparent. I think he is done with a guy or two on this team. It may be an interesting off season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. I tend to agree with this.

And I definitely disagree with this quote: "Critiquing the coach and players through the eyes of the fan is why this board exists."

How do we constantly criticize the coach when we can see with our own eyes how odd KeVaughn can be at times? When we can see with our own eyes Hudson in la-la land and wonder what the hell is this talented kid doing? Stone . . . arrrrgggghhhhhh !!! Locke happened to take good shots and missed them. It happens.

Mike White has a dilemma. He wants defense but his team ??? Not so much. And it appears he has to go 3-heavy hope-and-prayer shots. Not good. We have a dysfunctional mix, gang. That's just the way it is. Only these players can fix it. No amount of coaching can fix this.

14. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I generally agree. Though I do think white can try some new things to compel these “misfits”. Today during his press conference white expressed his disbelief over KA’s disappearance. And then said he will continue to talk with him...
    ugh.
    I just published a column to this effect, but the talk is over. KA has a job. He has been implored to do it. If he continues to opt not to... he shouldn’t play. Period.

White has such a short leash for guys not defending or doing the “little things”, yet KA plays despite largely abadoning his most prominent role.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hudson and K.A. stepping up gives us a fighting chance. Without them doing so, this team is in trouble.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    White has unquestionable loyalty to certain guys, former and current. Without Allen, Mike White doesn't reach his first elite 8. Allen was the glue guy who didn't transfer when he could've easily done so after Donovan left. You have to figure that Allen's leash is longer than anyone on the team. It's just human nature to feel somewhat in debt to someone who has helped get you to where you are. Hudson on the other hand got here because of Mincy, not White. There's no emotional connection. Add that Hudson worked out for an NBA team and wanted to get out of here after one season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Bear in mind, critiquing and criticizing are not the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Thanks for comments. Absolutely agree with them taking it to the hole more. I think Hudson started to a little bit in the last game. Also would like to see Stokes get more playing time.

As far as Ballard over Hudson, Wise did mention that Ballard is inconsistent, which makes it harder to play him when this happens (think he had a bad TO and foul in 2 consecutive plays against SC).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  19. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Good point, though the leash afforded to KA seems miles in length.
    How many times can you talk with a kid about what he needs to do .... only to watch him continuously ignore the directive??

20. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Oh, Ballard is definitely inconsistent. He's improved his shot selection quite a bit from last year however, and for the most part plays very hard and with some attitude. These are characteristics this team lacks in large measure. I can't say the same for Hudson, who also happens to for sure be gone after this year.