Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

For those defending White on offense

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by hatter18, Jan 7, 2019.

1. hatter18

hatter18 Sophomore

Dec 9, 2018
    Here he is during most crucial TO at end of game at a total loss for what to do staring at a sheet of notes. This happens a ton during in game situations as well where you'll see him staring at that sheet looking for answers instead of coaching. I know he's big into analytics, and that's fine, but at some point you have to coach your team. Finally Mincy starts trying to talk because White just keeps staring blankly at that sheet. There's no defending this. Period. He can't coach offense at this point. Needs help ASAP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Why don't you just forward this to Stricklin and ask him to investigate? Better yet, take the video to MW's daily press conference and ask him yourself what he is doing during the timeout. Thanks again Coach Hatter.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    So should he hire an assistant dedicated to offense, or one connected to aau circuit because he can’t recruit at this level?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  4. grovegator83

grovegator83 Recruit

Apr 3, 2007
    You assume that there was no communication before the video or after. If they then called a set or play they normally run then the team should know what to do without a coach talking the entire time out.

You are reverse engineering one situation to support a point, and I think you are trying to apply that to the offense in general....not that specific situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    In deference to the OP, the handling of that particular (and very critical) time out did not seem optimum at all. A LOT of time elapsed before the players got any guidance at all, and the assistant coaches seemed befuddled about whether they were supposed to be prepping the guys.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017

What a terrible coach this guy is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    The body language of the players is far more concerning. Not one syllable out of any of them. I'm guessing here but doesn't Jordan Mincy ask them "who wants it?" and not one of them raise their hand except Okauru behind them? At that point I would've put in Okauru.

White is doing all he can to put some fire in these guys but it seems like he's recruited the extremely introverted personalities out of necessity over the past few seasons and it's really hurt us. Can't wait for Scottie Lewis and Tre Mann to get here.

• Like Like x 2
  8. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    We already have a thread for Coach White-we don't need anymore troll clickbait.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    This is a good point. In fact, you can see White drawing up a play as the camera pans away.

That said, I do think he took way too much time studying whatever he was looking at, and not nearly enough time communicating with his team. Whatever analytics he was calculating, should have been done sooner or faster.

Look - for all of my defense of the guy, Mike White is hardly a perfect coach. Far from it. But he is great for this program, and will do great things as he grows with the program.

Though I am not comparing White to Donovan . . . I will remind people that the latter was very much critiqued for his tactical coaching abilities early in his career, and very loudly criticized during a stretch when he didn't get out of the tourney's first weekend 4 straight years.

Mike White has and will continue to make mistakes. All young coaches do. Heck - so too do the old ones.
    But looking at the larger picture - Mike absolutely has the program on a great track. He is doing it the right way, and is now tearing up the recruiting trail.

We are lucky to have him here.

• Agree x 9
    • Winner x 5
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  10. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Does CMW make mistakes? Of course he does, and every coach does, some more some less. The freshman this year and the class next year will make or break his career at UF.

He already has run more successful in bounds plays than BD ever did in any 4 year span, even with the 04's. I remember the calls for BD to hire a defensive guy and now I think MW needs to hire an offensive minded assistant coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GatorKP

GatorKP Senior

Jul 30, 2011
    But he did draw up a great play. We got it into the hands of our worst offensive player, who also can't catch or hit free throws, so there's that :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

It looked like to me he was talking the entire time while he was looking at the paper in his hand. You can see him pick his head up one time and his mouth was moving. Either way I am happy he is the coach.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Too many posters are buying into the mythology of coaches drawing up plays out of nowhere and expecting perfect execution. It doesn't happen like that. Plays are practiced over and over again.

Looking over the list of recently practiced plays before making a choice of which one to run doesn't sound like bad coaching to me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I see CMW conversing (with the players) as he’s looking at the sheet. Is the OP not able to see that?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Gainesville, FL
    At the risk of being further labeled by some here who already believe they can read my mind or those who might make some other assumption leap of counting me among those referenced in this thread's title (insert sarcastic eye rolling emoji here :rolleyes:), I'd like to humbly suggest that anyone interested becoming truly informed on this matter might check out the replay of today's SportsScene with Steve Russell show. The first hour today featured Mark Wise taking call-in questions. There's also a short phone interview with Assistant Coach Jordan Mincy to start the 2nd hour.

You can watch/hear today's show and Mark's comments via WRUF's Facebook Live video replay (personally I detest FB but maintain an account for access to programming like this). Here's the link for anyone interested. Mark was pretty candid in his responses re the USCe loss Saturday in response to some tough questions from angry Gator fans. I found some of his comments re the team, especially regarding the differences between the young guys and the upperclassmen, quite interesting.

Anyway, I think those comments and insights may be relevant to this discussion and debate regarding the reasons for offensive woes.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Any specific highlights with Wise’s comments?

17. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    How 'bout this for end of game strategy. Make your stinking free throws and its game over. High schools girls can shoot better.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  18. SportsPsychGator

SportsPsychGator VIP Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Ft Bragg, NC
    You gotta just listen to the whole thing. 'It's Gold, Jerry! Gold!'

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Well that certaintly explained how Hayes was the one that ended up with the ball last and subsequently on the free throw line. lol

20. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I dunno. I am not trying to dive into grassy knoll territory here, but there are a couple of short instances where he could be mumbling to himself or he could be talking to the players, it's impossible to tell. All in all, it just doesn't look from an outside view like Mike was utilizing that timeout in a way that prepped the squad.