Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

For our OL to improve...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Dec 16, 2019.

1. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Post of the Day!

2. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Alrighty then.

3. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    The transfer portal has changed the game. We went from WR being the weakness of the team, to the strength in one offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not as good as deaf lepers...

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    So true...I remember all the criticism around Mullen's offense coming to UF and what WRs would want to play there, we didn't have any receivers, etc.,. and now suddenly this year it was our strongest position. If everyone comes back, it's going to be a strength again next year. If Manuel makes it in then that's a pretty good class with Fraziars and Pouncey.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Skill position players are probably more likely to transfer--especially if they find themselves in an offense that doesn't match their skills, or have a QB that can't throw straight. And Mullen is known for developing QB's and WR's (and throwing the ball a lot), so it makes sense that we would be a likely destination for WR's. I don't see us using a transfer WR on the O-line.

I will ask again, when is the last time we got a quality OL transfer into the program? Bueller? Bueller?

7. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    that’s like saying UF’s record vs UGA in the 80’s affects the outcome of the 2020 game.

flag this post and let’s revisit once fall camp starts, amigo! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    If Bleich left because of fan criticism, then he’s not very mentally tough. I LOVED his HS tape. Nasty with a high motor. But...he was getting schooled on the field, but was a RS Fr, so hadn’t grown into the position yet. I thought I heard he had some family stuff going on, so perhaps that weighed on his mind a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

So.....let's see....

So far, we have "Spots on a leper"..and a WR playing on the O-Line.....

My question?.....
    What kind of powder's on your little mirror?? :cool:

My advice??.... Slowly back away...back away...back away....back away.....back away....

10. LightMan

LightMan All American

Dec 5, 2010
    VA Beach
    Something to chew on is that the offensive line improved in run blocking last season as we got later in the year. What else happened at that time?

Franks started running the ball more. He started becoming a "willing runner." The run game then improved drastically.

This year Trask was not a run threat. When Emory was in everyone knew it was a run, he averaged 6 ypc. I'd be curious to see the backs numbers when they ran the ball with Emory in the game. Having a run threat at QB seems to be pretty vital for this offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    That's what Mullen said- family stuff.
    I wasn't sure if it was to cover for the kid because at face value he looked like he quit on his team and went home.

He did leave the Tuesday after the UGA game, where our whole OL pretty bad.
    I think he was replaced during the game. (Not 100% on this.)

So to me it looked like he was struggling during our most important game of the year, he (probably) got yelled at by the coaches, then he (probably) got replaced during the game.
    It was a frustrating season I'm sure for him, he's a long way from home, so he just left.

But maybe he did have family stuff going on. It would be quite a coincidence that the family stuff happened right after the UGA game.
    No matter- I wish him well.
    And I'm sure it was hard going from central PA high school DLs to the SEC DLs.

12. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think the real issue is that there are player ratings for a reason. They may not be totally accurate when you're an individual player, but when you're looking at a unit of players it's more significant.

You can probably get away with 1 decent 3* OL in the SEC if you've got 4* guys around him, but when 3 of your most experienced guys are 3*, you're probably in trouble ... and we were. On many plays, 3-4 of the OL looked like they did their job but somebody always seemed to make a mistake, particularly in the running game.

I'll tell you the 2 things I saw more than anything else in the run game. First, while most of the OL didn't get pushed back the way they did a couple years ago, they really didn't have enough push to open holes. And more often than not, an OL would pull but be out of position when they got there. It almost appeared that they would run to a spot, stop and then look for who they were supposed to block. By that time the play was over. I saw a couple of plays where there were 2 OL pulling and neither of them put a hand on any defensive player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Noah_Brindise

Noah_Brindise Sophomore

Oct 28, 2014
    We're dealing with the tail end of Mike Summers poor oline recruiting. He was a decent teacher but not a recruiter, anyone else and we get Alex Leatherwood. Hevesy is doing what he can but it's gonna be another year or two before we can field an oline with 5 SEC caliber players. We'll see improvement in 2020 but it's still a long process.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    A big part of it, I believe, is just time in terms of Mullen and his staff getting their own recruits in here and having time for them to develop. In his first class they were just scrambling. The following year they had a good haul -- those guys just weren't going to play huge roles as true freshman. And next year they will still be young. But we had another good haul this year. I'd expect one more year of an O-line that isn't what we hope to see -- but that in the 2021 season we should start to see a real Mullen and Co. O-line which can knock defenders off the ball to convert on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 instead of having to throw passes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Alvin Butler III.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Spurrier had one OL transfer from, I think, Boston University, that started probably 10-12 games over a two-year period. Very versatile. Played G and T. Was only 6-2 or so, maybe shorter, but was pretty stout and had great feet. Can't remember his name.

17. melrose12

melrose12 Senior

Jun 25, 2019
    Our oline will be much better next year. Stone I think will be Rt or OG. Higgie at OC. Another year in weight room will make a big difference.

18. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Junior

Nov 29, 2016
    Or a l
    Or a leopard!

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

19. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Junior

Nov 29, 2016
    All the more amazing what CDM did with that O.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Technically Def Leppard had a one armed drummer so they could have been Lepers...which makes me remember the gag of the one armed bus boy in Hot Tub Time Machine who was in fact not a Leper...which in turn makes me remember the "Drive" scene...and the "did you have pineapple" scene. Funny stuff right there.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1