Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

For Jacksonville WAPE Fans in the 60's

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by GatorGrowl, Jan 8, 2018.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Strangest part of the video is that about half way though they have a poster for a Jimi Hendrix Monkees Concert where they appeared together.

Lost of good memories in the video...

One DJ that they showed several photos of, Jim Shirah, used to come by my house in the mid sixities and carry me to the station while he worked...at the time time I aspired to be a DJ..

• Like Like x 4
  2. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN

• Like Like x 3
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    we could get them all the way down in Clermont most nights and sometimes even in the daytime

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    The greaseman....

• Like Like x 2
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    he was morning drive I think

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Here is Grease showing how they do a radio production

• Like Like x 4
  7. Kirby

Kirby GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    I seem to remember the Greaseman playing the sound of frying bacon the morning they executed John Spenkelink at Raiford

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    an alternative to WLOF & WHOO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The Mighty 690

• Like Like x 2
  10. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    He's got quite the captivating voice huh? His raunchy stories were a hoot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I listened to Hoyle Dempsey in my room before middle school. "85 or so. I'd go to school and retell the jokes. That was in Alachua. They must've been pumping some wattage.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tcmba

tcmba Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember listening to Ken Fuller in the morning and Dino Summerlin in the afternoon in the early to mid 60s. They always had traffic updates with officer Leroy Cumby. They had ads it seems like every 5 minutes from about June to September for the Beatles concert on September 11, 1964 in the Gator Bowl.
    My parents were able to get tickets for my brother and me through friends in Jacksonville and we went with their two daughters. Pretty big time stuff for a 12 year old kid from Ocala.

• Like Like x 3
  13. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007

Loved the Greaseman.

14. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL

15. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    I was a fan but preferred Gainesville's WGGG because I knew a couple of local DJ's and the reception at night was better for GGG.

WAPE boasted their 50,000 watt broadcast was 24 hours, but it was directed towards the east after sundown. Reception in Gainesville was not good at night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAPE_(defunct)#Mid_1960s_evolution

Mid 1960s evolution
    In 1963(?), WAPE was given permission to increase its daytime signal strength to 50,000 watts. Not long after, they were granted Federal Communications Commission (FCC) authority to broadcast at night. As AM signals can carry much greater distances after sunset, WAPE’s nighttime signal was greatly restricted, to avoid interfering with other stations on 690 in the US, Canada and Cuba, as well as stations in Mexico and the Caribbean. The nighttime signal was “directional” to the East, with 10,000 watts from a brand new transmitter location near Baldwin, just west of Jacksonville (the signal was required to be concentrated over the city of Jacksonville, with almost no signal to the north, south or west). This meant much of the loyal fan base was unable to hear the new, more marginal nighttime signal, even in areas as close as Ponte Vedra and Fernandina Beach.

The wiki entry on WAPE is interesting and can be read in less than 10 minutes. Gives a description of the station and its indoor / outdoor swimming pool and other "hidden" features.

Late 1960s WAPE afternoon personality John Ferree recalls, “I knew that Big Ape had a swimming pool, but I was astounded when I drove up and found much more than the usual utilitarian spaces that most stations occupied. This place was built for radio and it was obvious that it was built by someone who had some class. There was a parking lot on the left (facing the building) of the pool. To enter the station, you walked up onto the apron of the pool, and along a curved canopied walkway to the large glass doors. The right side of the building was a curved arc of white stone with tropical landscaping.

The pool was an organically shaped structure that narrowed where it passed under the long glass front wall into the beautifully laid flagstone floor of a large lobby. The pool had a high diving board and a separate low diving board. The framework for the metal canopy and the diving boards was of bent steel tubing painted sky blue. Impressive! ...

... There really was a hidden door into Brennan’s private quarters. Someone had to show it to me. It was, as I recall, one of the wood panels that was somehow hinged to pivot open if you knew where the key was and how to do it. The door was to the left as you entered the business offices. I went in there briefly once or twice… probably to help carry something, but it was his private quarters and we respected his privacy. The suite, as I recall, was two large rooms, a living room and bedroom, both fully and immaculately furnished and beautifully lighted with indirect fixtures. I don’t recall that the private suite had any windows.”

• Like Like x 1
  16. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Pictures of the station aren't great. This one is a shot of a portion of swimming pool as seen from the outside of the station at night.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Another view. The pool enters the station's lobby at top center of pool.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Picture of mural in lobby and the area of the pool inside the building.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  20. butte gator

butte gator Freshman

Sep 10, 2017
    the "e" is silent
    I'm not sure there's any connection between the WAPE from the 1980s (a/k/a "Power 95") where Dempsey was a morning personality and the AM station everyone's discussing here. I think they just adopted the call letters at some point after the AM station went defunct.

Fascinating history that I didn't know, though. Like anstro, I grew up in the 1980s.

• Friendly Friendly x 1