Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

For Dan Mullen and the Gators, 2020 is the time to make their move (R&R - Will Miles)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Jayhovah, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Rankings? We don’t need no stinking rankings

2. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Where is there drama in saying UF is set up in 2020 better than 2021? Or do you just need some attention?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

As the old saying goes....
    "Oh, the humanity!".....

It's like Mullen wouldn't be able to recruit (and DEVELOP), anybody in the future....

QB....How 'bout Emory Jones, (with the depth chart reading "Emory Jones AND Anthony Richardson)....

RB...Pierce, Clement Davis..and more
    TE...Zipperer and maybe still Pitts
    Defense, overall....just take a look at our incoming class, (oh, by the way...Brenton Cox??)
    OL...the same....we're adding beef
    .Mullen isn't just gonna sit back and say "Oh, shit, all of my players are gone."....

Coach Mullen is much more intelligent than some might think...he's now going to be able to finally get players who will fit his scheme...and, ...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Gators in the National Championship picture in '21, '22, and beyond.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    I really enjoyed reading that article. Thanks for posting it. It really shows how great of a coach CDM is and how awesome he has made Trask. Trask has had some lucky stars floating over him and he has taken the opportunity to be called that "If he can build on his successful 2019 campaign, he is poised to be the best QB in the conference.". I never once thought that even at his best, that that sentence would be said about Trask. I wasn't a Trask neigh sayer by any stretch ever. I thought he had chops but Mullen has really shown how well he exploits people's strengths rather than focusing on their weaknesses, a problem amongst coaches from Warner to college ball. People try to make the thing that someone can't do well (like maybe a type of pass, or ability to run, or certain patterns) rather than force it, he uses what works and at the right time.

I am so happy for Trask and looking at that 21-5 gave me chills. I think it's quite possible that Dan Mullen might retire his Gatorhood as the best coach we've ever had. I always knew he was the brains behind Meyer here and I didn't know how right i was. His resume of QB making is LIKE NONE IN HISTORY....

Look:

Josh Harris (Bowling Green) under Meyer as QB coach I believe he actually went to the NFL on a practice squad for a year or two, not sure.

Alex Smith (Utah) under Meyer as OC and assistant (nearly won natty serving as interim OC in the undefeated Utah run of 2004...runner up to Heisman, NFL...Some have said Utah was the most unbeatable team in the nation that year but they were a victim of a schedule vs schedule)

Chris Leak (Florida) under Meyer as OC (Won natty with Leak with Tebow coming in for plays similar to how EJ does now but with a much greater look ;) )

Tim Tebow (Florida) under Meyer as OC (won two NCs [one with Leak starting but significant action], Heisman, NFL, arguably the best QB to ever play college football)

Dak Prescott (Miss State!) first HC job and immediately has an impact that kept growing making Miss State a temporary good team. (Dak won the Heisman, becoming NFL legend at the moment)

He had Franks developing well and he plays his seniors even though he always has an open slot he says but if you look at his history, even with Tebow and Leak, he could have easily played Tebow that year (2006). He wouldn't have kept Leak if he didn't think he could win with him but that's just it. He just finds ways to win. We have no business being where we are right now. It is my true belief that he can pull the best thing out of a player and use it like a tool. When he has really good players all around his QB, we may never stop wining. I believe he's better than Saban (hungrier, and maybe actually better at gaming). I just have thought that for so many years that when you look at that friggen resume, your jaw doesn't drop? The man is a QB whisperer for real, and he doesn't lose as HC. He knew how good he was when he went to Miss State.

He has the arrogance of the beginning of Toofers and the humility to not show it but the game to back it up. If I was a QB or a father of one, if I was the #1 rated in the nation, I would want him to go to Mullen, Gator fandom notwithstanding.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator. Hope Trask can do it next year. I would like to see me some more meaningful EJ too.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    They are sort of one in the same. I mean obviously SOS used to preach "SEC first, worry about the NC next" but now they are tied together. If we win the SEC, we go to the playoffs. Pretty much every year forever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    I actually agree with you. As stated above, I think there is none better than Mullen so I am wondering why is he not pulling in the best. Where I disagree is that he looks for players as tools. Like I have to change that door knob and that guy is really good at changing door knobs. He looks to fill in the holes and sometimes that means you're not going for the #6 player in the nation because he's a right guard and not a running back or QB. He knows what he's doing. Just look at his resume. He can win with his dog. (yuk yuk).

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the article. Nice work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with you on the majority of your points but Dak never won the Heisman. Were you using Dak as an example that Mullen coached him up to be in the running for the Heisman? Thanks dude.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Sure but the thread wasn’t about how awesome is Mullen it was about how 2020 is EXTRA favorable.

I don’t understand why people are so sensitive about the concept.

9. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Sorry, my memory sucks. I thought he did. Did Smith win it then but yeah, I was saying that about Mullen making another Heisman contender. When the majority of your QBs in your coaching career has gone undefeated, won or was running up the Heisman, goes to NFL and wins almost every game, you’re a damn good coach.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Who’s sensitive. People are correlating that fact to our insanely good coaching staff and anyone thats doesn’t include CTG in that is just wrong.

11. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    People keep coming at me with, "oh the humanity" or "oh the drama".

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    95, I never start a topic here on GC, but I did about this time last year. It goes right along with your previous post though Smith was not Heisman runner-up. (He was 4th.)

Here is the SEC alltime top 10 Most TDs accounted for- Career

1 Tim Tebow* 145 2006 2009 Florida
    2 Aaron Murray* 137 2010 2013 Georgia
    3 Danny Wuerffel 122 1993 1996 Florida
    4 Dak Prescott* 114 2012 2015 Mississippi State
    5 Drew Lock* 109 2015 2018 Missouri
    6 Nick Fitzgerald* 101 2015 2018 Mississippi State
    6 Chris Leak* 101 2003 2006 Florida
    6 Peyton Manning 101 1994 1997 Tennessee
    9 Tua Tagovailoa* 96 2017 2019 Alabama
    10 Johnny Manziel* 93 2012 2013 Texas A&M

Notice anything?
    Tebow, Prescott, Fitzgerald and Leak- 4 of the top 10- were all coached by Dan Mullen.
    Let's think about that.
    There are 14 schools in the SEC. The SEC goes back almost 100 years.
    Dan Mullen has only been in the league for 15 years, yet he coached 4 of the top 10 of all time.

No other coach has more than 1 entry, and Dan the man has 4!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

well.......think about that.....

14. BenTrillGriffin

BenTrillGriffin All American

Oct 7, 2012
    Orlando
    Seeing a couple of analysts predicting us to win the conference. When was the last time this was the case? I don't even know how to feel lol.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    To succeed we need to do better at getting teams off the field on third downs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Dan is the man and we have a team behind him

Just a few more touches and his work is done this time

17. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    It's easy to look at today's team/starters and fear what happens 2 years from now when they're gone, but on the flip side take a look at who will likely be the core of the 21 team that really haven't played much:

QB - Jones/Richardson
    RB - Pierce/Lingard
    OL - Gouriage, White, Harrod, Tarquin, Braun, Walker, Leonard, Mincey, etc.
    WR - Copeland, Weston, Marks, Henderson, Fraziars, etc.
    TE - Zipperer, Gamble, Odom, Lang

DT - Conliffe, Humphries, Dexter, Goods, Brown, Lee
    DE - Bogle, Diatabe, Cox, Carter, Chatfield, Summerall, Reese II, Powell
    LB - Miller, Houston, Wingo, Black, Hopper, Pierre
    CB/S - Burney, Dean, Elam, Hill, Kimbrough, Rogers, Torrence, McDaniel, Johnson

Some of these guys will come out early, some will transfer, some won't pan out, etc,. but the cupboard is stocked and there will also be 2021 signees and x-fers coming in. Mullen's classes (and x-fers) have been pretty balanced and we have a lot of FR/SO's at all positions.

18. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I guess you would have to say that Meyer had two.

I am surprised that SOS only has one on the list however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    I already know many of you get your knickers in a twist about anything that sounds remotely negative.

I just don't understand why this topic in particular is doing it.

20. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    That's a perfectly good roster, although a bit young at DT, but it's fine. I never said it would be a bad team.

But the schedule won't be as favorable (odd year) and they add Alabama.

In 2022 they add Utah and go @ TAMU. Georgia has Arkansas in 2021 and Mississippi State in 2022.

The schedule just sets up perfect in 2020, UGA's is harder, and UF has the better QB situation.

This is in NO WAY an attack on the 2021 or 2022 roster.

• Agree Agree x 1