Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

For all you beer people out there I have a question

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by busigator96, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Exactly...Goose Island that you can get in Florida = Crafy Beer.....of course MillerCoors took a minority position in Terrapin a few years back so I should just shut up.

2. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    While we are on the beer issue:

What are your thoughts on the trend toward only being able to get many craft beers in cans now? Maybe its my old "Natty Light in a can" hang-up, but I just can't shake the thought of canned beer not tasting as good as bottled. Given the choice, I'll buy the bottle everytime unless I'm going to the beach or out on the boat. Maybe its that a bottle will stay colder longer.

Thoughts?

3. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    The first craft beers were sold in cans. Not sure about your particular brand(s). Bottles are still trending up but are more expensive to produce for the smaller brewers.
    https://www.brewersassociation.org/insights/cans-bottles-craft-beer-packaging-trends/

4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I don't know if I go back that far, but I don't remember being able to get Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada in cans.

I love a number of the beers brewed here in G'ville. I just wish I could find them at the supermarket in a bottle instead of a can. Its too far to schlep across town to 1st Magnitude to get a growler more than every now and then.

5. LeafUF

LeafUF GC Hall of Fame

May 1, 2007
    Wandering
    I am thrilled that more and more craft beers are now in cans. I used to camp every summer at music festivals that did not allow for glass bottles. In the beginning, my options were all bad beers, but around 2012 or so I started seeing better beers and it definitely improved my experiences. If you ask me, a good beer is just as good in a bottle or a can, though I will say that I almost always prefer drinking out of a cup or a glass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    The cans bothered me at first but I eventually got used to it. Now some of the best beers in the world come in cans. I never drank out of a bottle anyway. Poured everything into a glass at home and drank only draft when I was out. Craft beer is meant to be poured anyway. It won't taste as good straight out of the bottle because the beer is meant to gas off when it's poured. That's why you pour it straight down the middle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Cans are better for the liquid itself. Zero sunlight, which is the number 1 enemy for beer. Also they are cheaper and better for the environment. Not to mention perfect for a place like Florida, with beaches, pools, fishing, etc.

They perfected the can liners about 5-6 years ago. Any taste difference is in your head. They've shown this with blind taste tests. Jim Koch, owner of Sam Adams was a huge anti-can guy, and eve he came around.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I'm not sure that they are that much better for the environment. I doubt that the rate of recycling of the alumnium cans is that much greater than the glass bottles. I guess eventually the thin aluminum will decompose while undisturbed the glass will last for millenia. Also, as long as the glass in bottle is the brown variety I think the spoilage factor difference is negligible. I think you have hit on the real reason: Cheaper for the beer companies

Also, I think the so-called "can liners" are nothing more than an advertising gimmick or figment of our imagination. Cut the next can of beer that you drink open with your handy-dandy utility knife to see if there is a liner.

Still, I doubt I could "taste" the difference as long as I got hold of two fresh beers once decanted into a pint glass (which I usually do when at home). Other than the yuck factor of popping the unwashed top down into your beer, I suspect that my disdain for aluminum cans is mostly in my head.

9. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Pick up a six pack of Revolution "Unsessionable" IPA when it comes out next fall. It's 12% ABV and about 110 IBUs. If you can taste aluminum through all the bitter hops and alcohol sweetness, it is definitely in your head.

Revolution has never bottled their beer, though it is much better on tap, especially in their Chicago tap room.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I doubt I'll be able to get it down here in Florida, but if I make it up to Chi-town, I'll give it a try.

At 12% alcohol, there would definitely be something in my head after drinking a few of thoses: a buzz (and possibly a headache later on!)

11. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Just looked at their distribution. Revolution is only available in Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Massachusetts and the five boroughs. If you do make it to Chicago, definitely check out their tap room. It's by far the best in Chicago and it's in a very cool neighborhood.

12. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
  13. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Somehow we've managed to combine to things I know a lot about into one thread :)

Cans 100% have a liner. It's actually BPA, has been in most beer cans for a long as time, but was popularized in craft beers by Oskar Blues and Ball cans. No, you can't see it, but it's there. Brown glass is superior to other glass colors as far as UV protection, but it's still not 100% like a can is. Way better for the beer.

As for recycling, your description seems to imply decomposing, not recycling. Aluminum is one of the few recyclable materials that are accurately profitable to recycle. It can be melted down and made back into aluminum cans at a cheaper rate than fresh aluminum. Glass is not, so a lot of it ends up at the landfill. Glass has next to no after market uses outside of glass cullet, which is heavy and dangerous (glass particles in the air)

For the record, I own a beer store as well as a waste and recycling company.... Lol

14. scbeerman

scbeerman VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    StrangeGator and Crusher know their beers. My comments were made more for the general market and not the "fanatics". Of course, we love the fanatics. A bigger picture issue in selling beer is do you try to build a brand or do you go with rotating taps and shelf offerings so the customer can try the latest beer. There is no easy answer there.

CCH has it right on the cans. Beer breaks down due to age, light and air. Strange had it right on higher ABV beers lasting longer.

Do you still have your store CCH?

15. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Why would you not be able to see it since BPA is a plastic hardener (and toxic too).

16. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    It depends on your customer base and the number of taps you have. I think it's good to have almost half of your taps rotate and the other half reserved for standard offerings of APAs, IPAs, stouts, lagers, weiss/wits, Belgian strong ales and porters. Your distributor reps can probably help you come up with a good mix based on what they have seen succeed in other establishments. It's also good to go into the neighborhood beverage/liquor/grocery stores and see what's selling well. I would even ask them what they're hiding in the storage rooms for special customers. I used to have the managers at the local liquor store as well as Whole Foods put special releases on reserve, mainly Dogfish Head 120, Devil Dancer and HopSlam. If you get those beers on tap when they come out, the word will get around and you'll see customers come in just to drink those offerings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Here are a couple of good examples. The first one, The Map Room is a very popular craft beer joint in the city. They rotate all 27 of their taps and keep an assortment of about 150 bottles. Not many places can afford to offer that much variety but it works very well for them.

http://www.maproom.com/beer-list/

Poor Phils in the near west suburb of Oak Park, where I live, caters to a slightly older more settled down customer. They rotate about 75% of their 35 taps and have 60 plus bottle offerings. In spite of being outside of the "hipster corridor" they draw a lot of customers from the city. It's only about 10 miles from downtown.

https://www.beermenus.com/places/1164-poor-phil-s

18. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I don't actually know the answer to that. I do know you're right, it's considered toxic, which is why it's pretty hush hush. It's also not a huge amount of measurable leeching. I'm sure I could find out more info if you want.

19. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I do still have the store. About to be 5 years. You were working for a distributor correct?

20. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    What's wrong with good old Bud Light? :runsandducksforcover: ;)

• Funny Funny x 1