Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

For all of the hand-wringing . . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Feb 15, 2020.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    8-4 is respectable, but the SEC schedule is back loaded so we probably need all the "buffer" we can get (esp with the fairly disappointing out-of-conference). A 4-2 finish with this schedule would be fantastic, but with this team you could see anywhere from 1-5 to 4-2 being realistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    The next 6 games will tell a lot about how good/bad this team is and will determine if we make the big dance or not. But honestly, did anyone think we would be wondering if this team would make the NCAA tournament with six games to go in the regular season? I think most of us was wondering if we would make the Final Four. Seems we have lowered our expectations for this team drastically. Speaking for myself, I’m not going to be satisfied with a first weekend exit. This team has more talent than that and anything less than making the second weekend equals a team that underachieved.

3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I’ve lowered my expectations.
    I think I unfairly anticipated significantly more offensive contribution from Mann and Lewis. And coupled with my expectations of their roles, I thought we would play differently - faster.
    And I never expected this team to be defensively deficient at times. I think Mike has made some mistakes not switching defenses more frequently - to make opponent adjust, change tempo and protect guys like Kerry.
    Still, I am a bit buoyed by recent play.
    I also would be disappointed by a first weekend knock out.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Fair! I know you are a good poster so should have checked my facts better. I also agree on the pumper/basher sensitivities- and that was what I was trying to address.

I agree we all have angst about this season and hope the play of the last 2 games indicates turning a corner (not weak competition)! If we can win most of these last tough games, or at least build into a team that plays up to our talent, my angst will be reduced as I will attribute at least some of our struggles this year to youth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    Agree.

These were average teams they beat, but what I hope is that it allowed them to understand themselves better as a team. Sometimes, you need that to gel which helps you against tougher opponents. What I hope this does for Coach White is make people realize his system is fine, and he's a good coach. When players make shots, everything magically looks a lot better. Gators go on cold stretches where we brick every shot for an 8 minute stretch and that is the difference in most of our losses. Coach White might not be the best coach in the NCAA right now, but he very well could be in a few years. Dude has major potential and I'd hate to lose him.

This team is frustrating, but they are our guys, and I support them. I realize they aren't as great as we all thought they would be, but that doesn't make me like them any less. Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Looking at the last couple of games we have had teams on the floor that were either 4 freshman and KB or 5 freshman. I don't think anyone who made the preseason rankings could have foreseen that. The transfer of Gak and the injury to Bassett made a very young team even younger.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    What stands out to me in the last two games is more consistency. We'll see if it carries over from here but that in itself gives hope for the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    That is all I wanted to see this year. I understand a slow start to the year given our make up although the performance against fsu was inexcusable given what they lost and how they were able to reload.

The inconsistency and inability to adapt when certain aspects aren't working is the frustrating thing for me.

I will hold my breath and see what team shows up for the next few games before I believe these last two games are indicative of the near future.

And to be clear I HOPE the team hits another gear and White stabilizes as our coach for years to come.

9. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    What’s hurt us the most is a very tough early schedule, which with the freshmen thinking we got this, ran into some very physical teams. With all the new players there wasn’t a lot of pushovers, so the getting up to speed was under fire. With trying to find the right combination of players on the floor added another learning process. We have grown a lot in knowing who is what and what combinations, but you can’t learn being physical, that takes time, hard workouts and nutrition. Add to this a full year in the program. next year with the transfers coming in with some good freshmen not labeled five star, but a good bunch of returning players that are now seasoned, we could be better! I know, remember could be. Here’s hoping we make the NCAA tournament this year and get to at least, the sweet sixteen!

10. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Arkansas is the biggest game of the season left IMO. We can lose any of the others without it being a it deal. Arkansas though you have to beat. It’s the only left that going is a “should win” rather than a “could win.”

11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I'm optimistic, as I have been all season, that this team will continue to gel/improve, and become a tough out for the tournaments.

That said, every year a lot of top seeds and "tough outs" get bounced out of the NCAA Tourney in the first 2 rounds. Losing early (or in later rounds) when the team has potential to go far can be bitterly disappointing, but judging a team or season based on whether they can survive and advance in a single-elimination tournament is a bit suspect.

As Donovan said, you could replay past tournaments, and even the 04's might not have won them all.

12. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Win at home against Arky and play well @UK win or lose, I like our chances of making the tourney...and even getting to the 2nd weekend. BUT this team has yet to play consistently all year, rarely putting a full 40 mins together...though A&M was as close as we’ve come, and it couldn’t be at a better time with March approaching

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I couldn’t believe anyone thought Gak would play a role this season, there was a guy last year I remember arguing with because he said we were way too loaded in the front court, and recruiting bigs wasn’t s priority. Just seemed crazy to me. Literally 100% of our contributions this year has been from newcomers.

Unfortunately we only get Blackshear for 1 year, but Payne does seem to have tremendous upside, Jitoboh could be solid if he keeps getting in shape. He has more legit size to work with at the very least, Stokes was more polished offensively but played below the rim at rebounding and defense.

My understanding is one of our transfers has pretty good size and athleticism, so we should have same number of bodies inside, though you wonder if we again might lack that scoring without Blackshear. This team just needs another reliable shooter to step up in addition to Locke.

• Agree Agree x 1