Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Football is over, its Racing season

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Speedofsand, Jan 4, 2019.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Vettel got hosed in the Canadian GP!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Speedofsand

Speedofsand GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  3. Speedofsand

Apr 8, 2007
    Grassroots Motorsports | Sports Car Magazine

When

October 25-26, 2019
    Where
    Gainesville Raceway in Gainesville, FL

Grassroots Motorsports $2000 Challenge

Spectators get in free including paddocks & pits.

Competitors build with a $2000. budget limit. They drag race and autocross plus have a judged concours.

Grassroots Motorsports is also posting several short live videos from the 24 Hours of Nurburgring this wknd.
    Here is a nice look at a very cool car built by James Glickenhaus

4. bogeyfred

bogeyfred VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Daytona
    The new Daytona Hotel across from the track is having it’s grand opening this weekend.
    It is worth a visit to see ole 88,Ford GT and the
    Bluebird.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Speedofsand

Apr 8, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NASCAR

Last year’s ‘iconic’ end to race still a hot topic

By Jay Cohen Associated Press
    JOLIET, Ill. — When Kyle Busch looks back on last year’s dramatic finish at Chicagoland Speedway, nothing in particular stands out to him.
    He remembers every little detail.

Moving into the lead. Getting slowed by lapped cars at the back of the field. Winning a last-lap duel with Kyle Larson.

“It was an iconic finish, a very, I’d say, dynamic finish, that just will be known and recognized for a long time,” Busch said.

NASCAR would love to see a similar show when the Cup Series returns to the bumpy 1.5-mile oval Sunday. But the frantic final seconds of last year’s race have been more of the exception than the norm for its top series, so much so that NASCAR overhauled its competition package in an effort to create more drama this season.

With the new rules in place and more warm weather in the forecast at a track that has room for drivers to move around, the potential is there for another memorable finish at the suburban raceway.
    Last year’s‘iconic’ endto race stilla hot topic

7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NASCAR notes
    A testy day at daytona

After problems last summer, Keselowski, Byron tangle during practice
    By Edgar Thompson/Sentinel
    DAYTONA BEACH — Brad Keselowski vowed last July he was not going to take it anymore at Daytona International Speedway.

On Thursday, he proved true to his word, while nearly crashing the car of 21-year-old William Byron.
    During a practice run, Byron looked to keep Keselowski from passing him and had to make a dramatic save to avoid wrecking his No. 24 Chevrolet.

“Just had a big run,” Keselowski said later. “He put me in a position where I had to lift, and I keep telling these guys I’m not lifting. Just trying to send a message. I’m not lifting.

“I’m tired of getting wrecked at these (super speedway) tracks.”
    Keselowski’s No. 2 Ford slammed the left rear of Byron’s car, sending it onto the apron and then into the garage for repairs.
    A TESTY DAYAT DAYTONA

8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NASCAR

Seeking a spark

Jones looks to repeat Coke Zero Sugar 400 win, ignite frustrating season
    By Edgar Thompson/Sentinel
    NASCAR driver Erik Jones has been the odd man out this season at Joe Gibbs Racing.

A year ago this week, Jones was the man to beat at Daytona International Speedway.
    No one was catching Jones during the final laps of the 2018 Coke Zero Sugar 400 as he cruised to his first Cup Series victory and validated the iconic Gibbs’ belief in the young driver.

“I remember everything about those last laps for sure,” Jones said Thursday.

It is a fond, yet distant, memory for the 23-year-old, who continues to seek his second win amid a season filled with ups and downs.
    Seeking a spark

9. Speedofsand

Apr 8, 2007
    Sure was cool to see Florida Melon Man Ross Chastain win Daytona. He said he will never forget that race.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NASCAR

Seeking to change his luck

Daytona has been very difficult on Kyle Busch

By Edgar Thompson Sentinel

DAYTONA BEACH — With just one victory during 28 Cup Series starts on the super-speedway, Kyle Busch has not enjoyed the success he’d like at Daytona International Speedway.
    Busch also had one of his worst moments in a race car on NASCAR’s iconic track, suffering a life-threatening crash during the Xfinity Series 2015 season opener the day before the Daytona 500.

Even so, the good times he’s had during July 4th week at Daytona Beach have been hard to beat — and will be sorely missed by Busch. The Coke Zero Sugar 400’s move next year to late August not only will end a 60-year run but will upset the 34-year-old’s holiday plans.

“I’ll be frank, I’m kind of disappointed,” Busch said on the eve of Saturday’s race. “Overall, just being in Daytona for July 4th has always been cool. Having the opportunity to go to the beach, whether that be on Thursday or Friday, not having a lot going on, so we are going to miss that, the fireworks show, things like that. Now that’s going to be in Indy, I guess.
    Seeking to change his luck

11. Speedofsand

Apr 8, 2007
    Ross & Chip Wile already planned this. Surprising fans by showing up and giving away watermelon.

edit - link no good. Saw it on fakebook, Daytona Intl Speedway page, live video

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  12. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

I originally asked on the other thread--why are they moving the Firecracker 400 to August???? It was bad enough when they left the 4th!!!

13. Speedofsand

Apr 8, 2007
    Beats me. Next year its at Indy, on Sunday July 5. #???
    I want to go to Homestead again this Nov., I always enjoyed that wknd. Next year it clashes w/ Sebring in March.

14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NASCAR notebook

Coke Zero Sugar 400 postponed until Sunday because of storms

By Edgar Thompson Sentinel
    DAYTONA BEACH — Bad weather continued to plague Daytona International Speedway this weekend, postponing Saturday’s Coke Zero Sugar 400 until 1 p.m. Sunday.

Summer storms have played a factor before during one of NASCAR’s biggest weekends, pushing start times and causing mid-race delays. But an event dating to 1959 has been moved to Sunday due to weather just once — in 2014.

For now, race organizers just want to run the race Sunday. The forecast is more promising, but weather.com predicts a 40- to 50% chance of scattered thunderstorms from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
    Coke Zero Sugar 400 postponed until Sunday because of storms

15. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NASCAR Coke Zero Sugar 400

A change for the better?

That’s what fans hope August date will be for Daytona

By Jason Beede Sentinel
    DAYTONA BEACH —The traditional Fourth of July race in Daytona Beach has been an annual event for Andrea Sheerick and many NASCAR fans across the country, but the tradition ends after this weekend.

The Daytona Beach native has attended every race in Daytona on or around Independence Day dating to 2005, when she first chose to attend the race rather than watching it from her couch.
    “I love the fans and I love the speed,” Sheerick, 59, told the Orlando Sentinel prior to the final July race at Daytona. “I used to watch it on TV and then it’s a whole different ballgame in person. I just love it. It’s awesome.”

NASCAR is moving the location of the Fourth of July race to Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but the Coke Zero Sugar 400 will still take place in Daytona later in the NASCAR season, and some fans, including Sheerick, like that decision.
    A change for the better?

16. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Coke Zero Sugar 400
    commentary Mike Bianchi in the Sentinel

Daytona racing in July lost its identity long ago

DAYTONA BEACH — What a fitting end to Fourth of July night racing in Daytona.
    Beer, beach, barbecue, bottle rockets … and buckets and buckets of rain.

Following Saturday night’s rain-postponed Coke Zero Sugar 400, NASCAR — in what was once considered an implausible and unpopular break with tradition — will no longer hold a race in Daytona Beach on Fourth of July weekend. Instead, as part of a massive shakeup of the schedule beginning next season, the summertime race in Daytona has been moved to late August and will serve as the final race leading into NASCAR’s playoffs.

Moving the race was the last and final break with history and heritage as it relates to NASCAR’s Fourth of July race, which has been part of Daytona since 1959. It’s probably just as well that it’s being shifted to August, when maybe it can regain some mojo.

Truth be told, this summertime tradition in Daytona lost its identity years ago and has been slowly withering away ever since.
    Daytona racing in July lost its identity long ago

17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NASCAR Coke Zero Sugar 400

Haley dodges raindrops, beats the odds

First Cup victory partly a product of excellent timing

Edgar Thompson Sentinel
    DAYTONA BEACH – Justin Haley beat the longest odds in the field to win Sunday’s rain-shortened Coke Zero Sugar 400.
    It took a sure thing to get the 20-year-old to Victory Lane.

The bad weather that plagued Daytona International Speedway all weekend returned like clockwork Sunday afternoon to deliver Haley a potentially career-changing win during just his third race in NASCAR’s Cup Series.
    “It’s truly a blessing,” Haley said. “I never even saw myself running a Cup race until I got a call a few months ago to do Talladega. It’s unreal.
    Officials halted the race due to lightning at Lap 127 and eventually ended it two hours and 12 minutes later with 33 laps remaining as rain drenched the 2.5-mile super-speedway.

The decision handed Haley his first career win just two days after a disappointing runner-up finish during the Xfinity Series race. Haley finished a spot ahead of 21-year William Byron, followed by seven-time Cup season champion Jimmie Johnson, Ty Dillon and Ryan Newman.

“It makes that second-place finish Friday a lot better,” Haley said.

Despite Haley’s strong showing during Friday night’s Firecracker 250, no one expected him to be a factor during the Cup Series event. The native of Winamac, Indiana, entered Sunday with 500-to-1 odds to win, the worst in the 40-car field.

“There was no expectation to win,” Haley said. “It never even was a thought in my mind.”

Haley dodges raindrops, beats the odds

18. Speedofsand

Apr 8, 2007
    Pretty sad event all wknd. No finish, no fireworks. Haley was robbed of a win last year, this time he stole a Cup win for redemption.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. bogeyfred

bogeyfred VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Daytona
    Anyone entered a car in a Chump Race ?

20. Speedofsand

Apr 8, 2007
    I worked a few races with them, know a couple guys who have raced them.