Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Football is over, its Racing season

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Speedofsand, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007

2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

I watch the fireworks from my apartment at the end of each race.

It's gonna get noisy here very soon!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

Caught on camera. Friday's race. I'm the corner marshal in white w/ neon green mask.

• Like Like x 3
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    glad you are enjoying yourself Speed

over the last 5 years I have lost interest in racin' . Nascar has imnsho shot itself in the foot

5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Game-changer
    Game-changer
    Hall of Famer Gordon brought NASCAR national

By Jenna Fryer Associated Press
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Jeff Gordon graduated from racing sprint cars on “Thursday Night Thunder” to the big leagues of NASCAR, arriving with a silly mustache, a mullet and a briefcase that held little more than his Nintendo Game Boy.

The 20-year-old from California, who briefly relocated to Indiana for its lowered age requirements to race, was very much an outsider in a series with deep Southern roots. The fragile state of open-wheel racing had thrown a roadblock into Gordon’s career path and he’d detoured to stock cars as the best option.

The “Wonder Boy” almost immediately took NASCAR mainstream. Gordon is largely credited for pushing the sport beyond a regional series to one with an international presence.

Gordon won four championships, his 93 victories rank third all time and his savvy brand management made him one of the most recognized drivers in the world. He changed the way NASCAR was marketed, brought in Fortune 500 companies as sponsors and became the first driver to appeal to a broader sports audience as a pop-culture reference and an entertainer.
    Gordon was the face of NASCAR from his 1993 rookie season until his 2015 retirement.
    Game-changer

• Like Like x 1
  6. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Racing going on all over the state right now. Ocala's Bubba Raceway Park started last night with some great dirt sprint car racing. Tony Stewart led until 5 to go. Two more nights then they move to Volusia. Kyle Larson will be on track there. East Bay in Gibsonton and New Smyrna also drawing cars from several states for Speedweeks. Not sure if I'll go to any Nascar at Daytona. Too much 'real' racing happening at the same time.

7. WhattaGator

New Smyrna is a fun and pretty decent short track.

I spent many a Saturday night there.

8. gatorbite00

gatorbite00 Sophomore

Feb 2, 2019
    Port Orange
    Go #9

• Like Like x 1
  9. WhattaGator

Yeah , Chase Elliott should be a contender this season, as well as ...

10. gatorbite00

gatorbite00 Sophomore

Feb 2, 2019
    Port Orange
    I also Love F1. Lewis Hamilton is my guy...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    More than 20 drivers who raced at Daytona last week made the trip down under for the Bathurst 12 Hour. The entry list is 123 drivers from 22 nations. Last year a car hit a kangaroo during the race.

Live stream

12. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Daytona homegrown Supercross 250 (West) rider Adam Cianciarulo wins his 3rd checkered out of 5 races this season out west last night in San Diego.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also last night, Tony Stewart won the All Star Circuit of Champions sprint car race in Ocala.
    [​IMG]

13. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Went to Volusia Speedway Park last night. 39 winged AllStar sprints, 92 U.M.P. Modifieds. Lots of big name Nascar type drivers raced. Tony Stewart, Kyle Larson, Kasey Kahne, Christopher Bell, Brad Sweet in sprints. In the Mods were David Stremme (got taken out while leading the Feature), Justin Haley (got taken out in a B main after a mechanical issue qualifying), Matt Crafton, Justin Allgaier, David & Buzzy Reutimann, Ken Schrader, Kenny Wallace.
    Weather is perfect. Track had two grooves, action was thrilling, and no flips!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Daytona 500
    He’d rather be known as a winner

Bowman isn’t thrilled being ‘Showman,’ but he’s learning to ‘own it’

By Edgar Thompson Orlando Sentinel
    DAYTONA BEACH — Alex Bowman wants to be known for more than a number or a nickname.
    Even at speeds exceeding 200 mph, the reigning pole-sitter at the Daytona 500 has struggled to distance himself from either one.

The driver tabbed “Bowman the Showman” enters his second full season behind the wheel of the No. 88 car made famous by Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    The expectations and pressures from Junior’s steadfast fan base have been inevitable. On the eve of Sunday’s qualifying sessions, Bowman said he has grown comfortable fielding inquiries about succeeding a two-time 500 winner.

“That’s just part of it,” Bowman said Saturday at Daytona International Speedway. “I wouldn’t be here without Dale. It’s an amazing opportunity and I’m very thankful for all his help and support. So I’m sure the questions will keep coming.”
    He’d rather be known as a winner

15. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I just saw the replay of last night's ARCA race. Happy for the Burton family.

C Bell & Daryn Pittman put on a SHOW at Volusia

16. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Live stream from the room of doom at Daytona. New rule this year will take away wins and more if a car fails post race inspection.

17. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  18. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I DVR'ed the Clash- am not a fan of racers who take out there opponents to win

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Daytona 500
    Byron barely edges Bowman for 1st pole

Hendrick teammates race through mist to secure their positions in the front row
    By Edgar Thompson Orlando Sentinel
    DAYTONA BEACH — William Byron’s pole win at the Daytona 500 is a first for the 21-year-old, but nothing new for legendary car owner Rick Hendrick.

Byron now looks to capitalize on his first time in the No. 1 position in the NASCAR Cup series and ignite what Hendrick Motorsports hopes will be a turnaround season.

Hendrick’s impressive collection of drivers got the 2019 season off to a fast start Sunday during an overcast, misty day at Daytona International Speedway.

Driving the No. 24 car made famous by three-time 500 winner Jeff Gordon, Byron set the tone for the four-man team, turning a lap at 194.305 mph to edge teammate and 2018 pole-sitter Alex Bowman by fewer than two-tenths of a second.
    Byron barely edges Bowman for 1st pole

20. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Rained out K&N race last night will run tonight at New Smyrna. Plus the regular schedule, all for $30. gen adm, a little more for nice reserved seats. Follow it on speed51 or fanschoice.tv

I had to laugh at JJ saying he didn't know how Menard wrecked. Its what I expect anymore from Daytona. Like Dillon crashing Almirola in the 500 last year.