Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Football is over, its Racing season

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Speedofsand, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    IMSA started today with practice for the Rolex 24 Hours in a few weeks. 3 racing series, one which has a 3 hour race tomorrow that can be seen on imsa.tv
    'Lanky Turtle' shot this video today, loaded with outstanding clips of the action.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I admire people who enjoy the non-mainstream sports. It indicates a certain specialized interest. Happy racing season!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    This race draws an amazing number of drivers from the whole world. Nascar, Indy, F1, Australia, Germany, Japan, etc. Last year the hype was all Fernando Alonso from F1. Today I turned around at my corner and there was Alex Zanardi. I was stunned to see him in his chair in the middle of the infield. Before I could react and go ask for a selfie he zoomed off. The man lost both legs in a crash in 2001. This is his first time driving Daytona. Check out the hand controls in the Bobby Rahal / David Letterman owned BMW.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

I can already hear the testings and practices from ALL model cars not far from my place in Daytona Beach

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Pre race Grid Walk for a 3 hour Prototype Challenge series event today was loaded with kids scouts and families camping in the infield. Lots of lucky kids enjoying a cool unique experience on pit road.

This car won. 2 drivers, Neil Alberico of Calif. and Leo Lamelas of Brazil
    [​IMG]

6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    NASCAR
    Suarez gets another shot to show he can compete with the best
    By Jenna Fryer Associated Press
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Daniel Suarez will hit a reset on his career, getting a second chance to prove he can win at NASCAR’s top level.
    Pushed out of a ride with Joe Gibbs Racing, one of the top teams in the sport, Suarez has found a soft landing at Stewart-Haas Racing. The SHR four-driver lineup combined for 12 victories last season and claimed half the spots in the round of eight in the playoffs.
    “I came from a great team that is capable of winning races, but things just didn’t work out for me there,” Suarez told the Associated Press. “Maybe to win races in the Cup Series, I needed something different.”

Suarez didn’t have a choice because he became expendable when Gibbs hired 2017 champion Martin Truex Jr. That pushed Suarez out of a job after two lackluster seasons, with few seats available with top-tier teams. Suarez, who is Mexican and advanced through NASCAR’s diversity program, is the only non-American full-time driver at the top level.

It was critical that Suarez find a competitive ride because a seat with a mediocre team would have made it difficult to prove he belongs in the series. He won the Xfinity Series title driving for Gibbs in 2016 but was hastily moved to the Cup Series two months later when Carl Edwards abruptly retired.

Suarez gets another shot to show he can compete with the best

7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Brings back some great memories.

And no, I was never this good, but I did get to ride in the boat quite a few times over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
  10. Gatorbec

Gatorbec GC Legend

Oct 11, 2010
    Hi Speed...I found your thread today and was so happy! Love my Gators but I’m a race girl. Never found a NASCAR message board I liked. Reddit wants to talk about die casts and the old days.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gatorbec

Gatorbec GC Legend

Oct 11, 2010
    ACAFAEB2-D07F-48FE-89A9-107C16A7F7B3.jpeg This is what I’m happy about today

12. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Jan - March is crazy busy for motorsports in Florida. This wknd Sebring has over 250 cars racing Hoosier Super Tour & SCCA.

13. WhattaGator

I can hear some of the stock cars over at Daytona international speedway...

They'll have to give way for the Rolex 24 hour race, but speedweeks are just around the corner, with the 500 happening on my birthday, on February 17th.

14. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    in the early 90's I ran a steakhouse next to DIS- the 2 weeks leading up to the 500 were huge but the actual raceday I made more money charging people $30 to park than in steak sales- I had room to park 100 cars(did the same for the twin 125's)

Nascar has really screwed the pooch imnsho- it has become boring and predictable

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WhattaGator

Which steakhouse are tou talking about? (I used to hit the Dog Track regularly when it was right next to the track, because I was playing Jai-Alai right at Daytona Jai Alai right across the street, and the GM there was a hottie.)

As far as NASCAR is concerned, The superspeedway races HAVE become fairly mundane, and it's pretty sad to hear prople say that they just tune into them towards the end of the race to catch "The Big One crashes.

Short track is better to watch.

16. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I attended every Daytona 500 from 1968 to 1980- saw lots of great action-lots of drafting lots of rubbing and lots of great finishes- today not so much-yes people tune in for the big one that always seems to occur late in the race

today Nascar is cookie cutter cars and for the most part it is the same 10 teams that wins all the races

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. WhattaGator

Agreed... I've gone to my fair share of them too.
    Back In the days of the King, Petty, Buddy Baker, Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison , etc .... those were the paint-tradin' days !!

By the way ..... what was the name of the steakhouse that you managed ?

18. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    ARCA just had a 2 day test. Harrison Burton (Jeff & Kim's son) is finally 18. He's been racing late models since he was 12 and has several wins at New Smyrna. King Richard Petty's 18 yr old grandson Thad Moffitt is a driver to watch.

Rolex24 schedule is up. Best 4 days of the year. SCCA membership has perks.
    Schedule - Daytona International Speedway

19. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

20. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1