Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UPDATE: Ahmaud Arbery's 3 murderers all found guilty. Sentenced to LIFE in prison.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, May 5, 2020.

1. njg8tor2003

njg8tor2003 Freshman

May 9, 2020
    The McMichaels used "prior burglaries" as the reason for the citizens arrest. The only burglary reported was the gun stolen from their vehicle in January. I suspect that's what this is about or something similar to that. Some personal vendetta.

That doesn't mean Arbery committed the burglary or their belief was reasonable.

2. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I think McM made that "prior burglaries," thing up out of whole cloth, as a CYA measure. Produce the person or communication that gave him the impression that the neighborhood was having a burglary crime wave, and I'll reconsider.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. njg8tor2003

njg8tor2003 Freshman

May 9, 2020
    Let's get to the point here, you can't hold a civil conversation on a sensitive subject without insulting the other party. It's sad.

I'd ask what you actually disagree with, but I have a feeling it would be a waste of time.

4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Okay, but they're defending their actions. There were no prior burglaries, except for their gun from their vehicle. And neither of them had any idea who stole it. So why assume Arbery took it? Because they were suspicious of the black man who would jog through the neighborhood?

• Like Like x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I didn't insult you, brother. I implied you're going out of your way to concoct a story where this is personal because you don't want it to be about race. The fact that you got this defensive over it indicates there might be truth to that. Do you think if Ahmaud Arbery was a white man named James Smith jogging through the neighborhood under the same circumstances that they would have jumped in their trucks, chased him down, and shot him like that?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. njg8tor2003

njg8tor2003 Freshman

May 9, 2020
    I think he was full of crap, too. I wouldn't take anything he says at face value. On the other hand, it might hint at what he was really thinking.

7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Well, yes, it does hint at what he was really thinking . . . that Ahmaud was a burglar. Your belief is that was because he had a personal vendetta. My belief is that was because McMichael's racism led him to view the black jogger as a burglar. Of course, our views aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. McMichael could suspect Arbery of being the guy who stole his gun because of his race.

• Like Like x 2
  8. njg8tor2003

njg8tor2003 Freshman

May 9, 2020
    Total BS. It's a tired rhetorical strategy used on message boards. You imply something personal about the other party, the other party calls you out on it, and you deny meaning anything by it while affirming that it must be true because the other party got offended.

Get lost.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The only "personal" thing I implied is that you'd prefer to live in a world where racism isn't still a major issue. That's true for a lot of white people. But as I said, I never insulted you. I questioned your motives. I didn't deny meaning anything by it. I was quite clear what I meant by it. You're doing mental gymnastics to justify this not being racial. Take a step back, assess what the simplest and most rational explanation is here, and then assess if your stance is holding to that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    You should take me off 'ignore'. We would have such great fun! :D:p:D

11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Attorneys for Gregory and Travis McMichael, the father and son charged with murdering Ahmaud Arbery, say their clients have been vilified: "We implore all of you...don't rush to judgment.”

Men accused in Ahmaud Arbery shooting hire attorneys

“Dont rush to judgment like my clients did with their target”:rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    It was only a matter of time. Murderer #3 went on TV with a chance to give his side of things, only to defer every question to his stumbling bumbling lawyer, who basically called his client a high school dropout and an idiot who was not fit to answer questions.

We'll see what happens to these murderers and if justice is actually served.

15. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I've already weighed in, and I am NOT defending this dude's actions.

However, this also illustrates the lunacy of "felony murder" laws. I find this cat despicable until new data changes my mind. But murder? That is also ludicrous. He'll likely get off, and IMO should, but he also shouldn't be in this spot. Tison v. Arizona, 1987. In case you wonder how important SCOTUS judges are.

16. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Lets cut to the chase here...I lived in Atlanta for a couple years in 1972/73 and for a year not long ago. You know what has changed? The incredible number of highly educated African Americans. Do you know what hasn't changed? The racism that is really deep among the white population and this has created a divide in Atlanta for sure but venture out of the city the attitudes are very clear.
    Don't believe me...try sitting at a Mexican restaurant bar as a white guy and see how many assume that you think like they do. The honesty just seems to come rolling out of some folks.

So if anybody thinks these guys had no thoughts that a black guy had invaded their space and even worse that a black guy was running in their space so he had to be a criminal, then you are out of touch with the average Georgian. I will use a disclaimer that not all Georgians are racist but there are certainly far more than should exist and they really do not like blacks and in turn blacks are very distrustful of the whites. It's 2020 folks and this is the best we have achieved.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My first wife's family was from Atlanta. At first they were racist as all get out. When I got them up to speed that our African American brothers and sisters share the same 46 chromosomes as us "regular white people", they change their attitude. Plus, seeing the change in population in east Atlanta where they grew up, and seeing how many Atlanta brothers and sisters were wildly successful in their chosen professions they finally understood. Atlanta rocks. Athens on the other hand...:D:alligator::alligator:

• Like Like x 2
  18. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    I don't want it to be about race either but the idiots who murdered (lynched?) a black man for jogging thru a neighborhood kind of made it that way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    I just love that we literally watch three guys run down an unarmed man who had done nothing wrong, see them cut him off in a truck, surround him and soot him, and some folks see no racism or ask “what about”? Same folks Like trump bought the “central park” jogger erroneous charges immediately with no questions.

Maybe this confirmation of racism finally makes folks question their biases.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1