Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Food Inflation in Florida

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Mar 1, 2024.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    A direct result of Desi and the gang attack on undocumented immigrants. I know a couple of commercial farms in SW Fl that can't get crops harvested so they are reducing acreages being farmed

https://www.wptv.com/news/treasure-coast/region-indian-river-county/south-florida-farmer-labor-shortage-likely-to-cause-higher-prices-less-produce
    South Florida farmer labor shortage likely to cause higher prices, less produce

'It affects us all,' Yvette Cruz of the Farmworkers Association of Florida says

With September comes the time for many farmers in Florida to start prepping their soil for seed. Yet agricultural companies across our southeast coast are now struggling to keep up with production.

VERO BEACH, Fla. — With September comes the time for many farmers in Florida to start prepping their soil for seed.
    Yet agricultural companies across our southeast coast are now struggling to keep up with production.
    Eric Bartl, manager of Gulf Kist Sod in Vero Beach, said he's dealt with a dwindling supply of laborers for several years. Now, that shortage has become crippling, made worse in part by Senate Bill 1718, which cracks down on the hiring of undocumented workers.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    So it begins...

3. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I don't eat much sod anyway. Maybe a few times when I was a kid and attacked by older kids and landed on my face in the grass. There seems to be plenty of roofers and most of them I have seen in the last 10 years looked to be immigrants.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    potatoes, melons, tomatoes, cucumbers..farmers not planting ground because they can't get them harvested in short cycles when they mature.