Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Food for thought while the sky is falling

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by maxgator, Nov 26, 2023.

1. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Painfully aware. Some on here are willing to accept the normalization of that. I’m not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    I think it’s almost impossible to talk about next year right now in terms of handicapping wins and losses. Today there are a hundred variables that could change the outcome of the individual games next season. Who does Napier hire for existing vacancies? Does he step down from calling plays and hire an OC? Does the recruiting class stay together? Does Nape whiff on the portal or hit a home run? Who transfers? All these questions and more are yet to be answered. For example I’d handicap a team where Mr Momentum Killer continues as the play caller and de facto OC much differently than one run by a top offensive mind. We could get almost anything next year at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    If FL doesn't have at least 4 wins going into Neyland Stadium, BN is in real trouble. Just like 2023, the strength of Florida's schedule is going to be back-loaded.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I wouldn't say its beneath us to lose to them "once in a while," but to be thrilled to beat those middling SEC teams or to be worried about out them kicking our a$$es is worrisome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Good coaches don't. I'm sure you've already heard the old maxim that Coach Y could beat you with his players as well as beat his team with your players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Of course we will never know, but it does beg the question about what this staff would do with uga's current roster.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Yeah, but that was the old days before open Pay to Play. I honestly don't see Georgia slowing down anytime soon and they've got such a jump, not only on us, but everybody in this system. Stability where everyone else is dealing with chaos.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    A LOT better. I've said this before. UGA (and Alabama) is doing stuff I thought was only possible on Playstation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    My point was that coaches like Spurrier and Urban took the players that were already here and coached them up instead of declaring it was the "culture" that preventing winning and sending almost all of the prior guys players scurrying to the portal including several effective starters.

10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I'm sure they would win most as that team vastly out-talents most of the other teams they play (terribly weak schedule in 2023), but can't win with Florida's roster.

11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I just think it's a different era now. I feel like back the day, especially under SOS, recruiting was 60-70% of the equation and a coach/scheme/etc. could make more of a difference. But now it just feels like a talent stockpiling competition and one UGa, Bama and (to a lesser extent) OSU are dominating. I mean, watch UGA. There's no schematic "secret sauce" there. It's pretty basic, which is all it needs to be given the talent (especially in terms of depth) disparity.

Maybe Transfer Portal can help that, but for all their success this year, would any of you put $1,000 on FSU (even with Travis) to beat UGA? They are where they are due to a good portal, but I still think they're miles away from UGA.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Its definitely a different era, but as seen on Florida field this year...coaching can make the difference between a W and big knot on your head.

If they had Travis, I would give FSU a puncher's chance against UGa. Georgia hasn't played against an extremely mobile, dynamic QB this year (on Sat they do, but he isn't much of a passer). The injured QB and FSU's DL is the strength of their team, and UGa's run game is not as dominant as in years past, they would have to pass and their new QB is not very mobile (their receivers are fantastic, though).

Of course now (even if FSU makes the playoffs) they have zero chance against this Georgia team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Legend

Oct 16, 2017
    I'm with ya! But I would have to ask what my recourse would be. I'm no megamillionaire Bullgator with influence with the Powers That Be. I am an alum and a fan, but it's not like we're unique. There are millions of us.

If it remains the same, all I can do is write on these boards that something needs to be done, and we waited long enough. I never blame individual coaches (3d and Grantham, Fire Hoke, Bubble screen Zaunbrecher, for example), and while I readily say that while the head coach is responsible, he may not be to blame. Like any military commander at the O-6 level (Colonel/Captain) the head coach is responsible for everything that happens or fails to happen. Also, unless the player seems to have deliberately sabotaged the team, I never blame a player. In any case, I don't play favorites. I also take things like unusually tough schedules into account (not all of our schedules are equally tough), as well as outright robberies like The Swindle At The Swamp, or the Robbery At Rocky Top the following year.

What I will not do is quit following the Gators unless they compete for MNCs. To me, that defines the "Fair Weather Gator," whereas I am a Gator in All Kinds of Weather. I'm also not a Pell Gator, a Spurrier Gator or a Meyer Gator. I'm a Gator and treat all head coaches equally. To expect every head coach to have the success of Pell at his peak (1983-5), Spurrier or Meyer is insulting to those coaches who were extraordinarily exceptional. But what is the solution? Continue to coaching carousel every three years? This is why I posted the first three years of every coach since Woodruff. After three years, would we know a coach's potential any more than others? I am patient, but not overly so. Sooner or later, it would be time to cut the cord, and thus far, Billy Napier is at the bottom of those head coaches, and with next year's schedule, it will not get easier.

14. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Legend

Oct 16, 2017
    This is true, but it was helpful that SOS and Meyer inherited loaded cupboards as well...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    And kept them restocked.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    They did inherit better talent, but they also didn't toss half the dishes away that may have been useful for a bit.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. theycallmecoach

theycallmecoach All American

Sep 25, 2017
    Both Spurrier and Meyer inherited loaded teams.

Athletes had to sit out a year when they transferred during their coaching careers.

That is no longer true.

You are ignoring facts to make your case seem stronger than it is.

It does not appear to be very strong IMHO.

By the way, both Spurrier and Meyer left their posts at UF because they felt underappreciated so jumping on coaches is not a new thing at UF.

It is a long-time tradition.

In addition, Spurrier allegedly ran off a ton of very good QBs who could not take his tough-guy persona. He was extremely rough on QBs.

They dropped like flies when Raid was sprayed on them.

And Meyer was allegedly known for abusing players to "make them tougher".

You are not going to get those kinds of coaches anymore.

I used to be tough on athletes but that does not work anymore.

Even Nick Saban and Will Muschamp have "mellowed". They ran off too many players!

No more Spurriers and Meyers, etc.

That is another reason that it takes longer today.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    Yes, they did!

Meyer and Spurrier ran off a ton of players. It was their way or the highway.

I know them both very well. I like them both.

Neither would be successful today as they would not be able to keep their rosters full.

Meyer was run out of Jacksonville. Spurrier was also run out of the NFL.

They are old-school coaches, and as much as I would like to see them coaching again, they would never last. They are part of the past.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Is the food sour grapes? And will the sun come out tomorrow. Ugly storm rolling in where I am.

20. theycallmecoach

Sep 25, 2017
    I do not know who you are talking about.

Saban could not. Kirby Smart could not. Lane Kiffin could not. Brian Kelly could not.

Maybe Josh Heupel. He is an offensive wizard. That is about it.

Now give them 4- 5 years and several could but Napier is going to be able to do that also.

It takes time.