Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Food for thought while the sky is falling

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by maxgator, Nov 26, 2023.

1. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida had underclassmen on 38 of 60 spots on the roster for fsu. Of the 24 position 14 were starters.

Fsu had 15 underclassmen on their roster and only 2 starters.

That is.. a problem. I'd bet that other teams we played are similar. I've watched football for 40 plus years. That's always a huge disadvantage.

I agree that Billy is learning on the job. Should we have expected anything else from that hire? All I hope is that he gets the roster fixed for either himself or the next guy.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 8
  2. gators04

gators04 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I expected a better scheme for our offense with Brown. With the poor offensive line, I would expect BN to get the ball to our best two receivers, Wilson and Pearsall. We needed quick releases with slants with more roll outs. How about a screen every now and then. We just didn't go to our best play makers throughout the game. We probably would not have won anyway, but would have given us a better chance. Don't believe BN is creative enough on offense. The in game adjustment are just not there. We need, among other things, an OC with creativity in today's college football. If he wants to save his job, he'll get a new OC. Just my 2-cents.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  3. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    What’s the shelf life on “we’re young” ?

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    not sure why you think a better scheme for Brown would happen in a week - last week was the most he had played all year- you have to for lack of a better phrase simplify things for him

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    The issue some of us take, myself included, is that HE chose to go the youth route.

I get it because he wanted to get them experience in a year where he KNEW he wasn’t going to get fired no matter what so coach next years nucleus THIS year.

Now going into the offseason, he and staff can see where they need to add quality high end portal players

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  6. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Two straight losing seasons, the sky has already fallen.

This is it, rock bottom. Irrevelance and apathy.

Thanks Billy.

• Agree x 14
    • Disagree Bacon! x 6
    • Dislike x 4
    • Funny x 4
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  7. gatorrob87

gatorrob87 Junior

Oct 28, 2023
    Citra, Florida
    But if he wanted to get them experience then why wait until your starting quarterback is hurt before bringing in your backup? Where have some of the WRs he’s recruited been?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    Also helps with the recruiting pitch of early playing time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    5th year Senior

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We will not be as young next year... and we will have much more quality depth, if we hang on to our recruits. We will have a more mature/experienced team next year..

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. gatorogue

gatorogue Junior

Jul 15, 2009
    So let's make him a pocket passer and go through his progressions while the pocket is collapsing. Or run up the middle. As many have noted why not RPO, let him run to the outside which he did quite well, screens or RB passes, anything quick to take the pressure off him and counter the FSU pass rush. BN's answer. In the first half. FG's. In the second half. Nada

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  12. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Billy’s pitch on the hire was the slow, long term fix. I remain on board with it. I think he is the long term answer and Year 4 will be the big payoff.

I know fans are “win now” and won’t tolerate it. But I hope we stick to it. Revolving door coaching staffs are getting us nowhere.

• Agree x 13
    • Winner x 6
    • Optimistic x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Year 4? For that to happen Coach Golden needs to get to the final four this year or next. :) We need something to boast about in one of the two major college sports.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    There is "young" and then there is "young and oblivious". I vote for the latter until further notice. The coaching ranks need serious overhaul. They just don't work together well enough. The talent was good enough for at least 6 wins, and it could have been 8. Two "all-in" games in front of a rabid fan base and they could not get their crap together. James is NOT a transcendent player, merely the best we had at the LB position.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  15. EbSaxman

EbSaxman GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    The difference between Napier and the coaches who preceded him is the transfer portal. There was a mass exodus of talent when he was hired and it will take him time to rebuild the roster. That’s why he talks about process and teamwork so much. He has to build in loyalty to one another to retain talent in this bizarre free agency world the NCAA gave us.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Not as young but is that canceled out by the most brutal schedule in UF history?

"If" we hang on to our recruits" - Yeah, "If".

Odom just left.

I do not see a 3rd year turnaround ala Norvell at FSU, he had the luxury of a weak ass ACC, no such luck for Napier.

My belief is he better pull off 7 - 5 / 6 - 6 if he wishes to remain employed at UF.

He better get Portal help because even if he can keep DJ and the class together a slew of incoming Freshmen will not help UF compete on the field.

Blocking and Tackling mean something in the SEC, a propensity this staff needs to consider if they wish to succeed.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The schedule will be there with or without who we get. 3 things have to happen for us to be an 8+ winner with that schedule.

1. Upgrades to a few of our position coaches.
    2. We need to get much needed SEC quality help in the Transfer Portal... O-lineman and D-lineman
    3. Add to who we already have committed to us for the 2024 class of high school recruits. That means more good surprises in recruiting.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Right now Rick, 8 wins looks as remote to me as me purchasing a 6 number winning Powerball Ticket.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When exactly should Brown have played that he didn't?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    It’s not “win now”. It’s looking competent and the overall “look” of the team. We look incompetent most of the time. Some of the errors committed are mind numbingly bad, like pee-wee football bad mistakes.

It is those issues that have most people shaking their heads. There hasn’t been much upward trajectory to this program. After year 3 of Mullen, major coaching changes that needed to be made and were not told us where Mullen was as the coach. I think this offseason/year 3 will show us whether Napier is the guy or not.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1