Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida's Transition Offense

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Efawcett7, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Sophomore

Nov 9, 2019
    Any guesses why they don’t run more? Not getting stops?

3. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    No, it is because White thinks they have too many turnovers when they push the pace.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Preaching to the choir Eric. I debated with aka last season that my concerns with Nembhard coming back is that he would run a slow offense and stifle the team. Not sure that it is all Nembhard’s fault. It may be the pace White has told him to play. But yes, Stevie Wonder can see this team should play faster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Frankly, we're kind of horrible in transition. Did no one see that easy 2-on-1 break led by Locke at Ole Miss?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Do you really think they are going to be great at it if they never play that style?

7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    We don't play fast in transition and we can't go full court press. We are...contemplative and not reactionary. Maybe in a month or two.

8. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    The freshmen this year need at least two more years playing in this system, getting stronger, bigger, and learning that big time basketball is war, and you have to bring your street fighting mentality to every game or you will be abused. Ole Miss and Missouri just laughed at how weak we were and couldn’t shoot when being challenged! I hope I never see another Florida team this under developed. I would also like us to start recruiting tough Eastern European players, especially bigs, they seemed to appreciate the opportunity that D-1 basketball exposure brings. We need tougher players period, we look at first glance, like a under developed J. V. team.
    This makes transition basketball mute! Sorry Eric.

9. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Great information as always, Eric! Thanks!

I would agree we should run more as long as the value of running exceeds the value of the half court sets.

But, I also see why White wants this team to be selective in when they run (and that selectivity of running only when there appears to be an obvious advantage may be why our ppp in transition is as high as it is). Some of our players don't appear to have developed their running skills (i.e., dribbling, passing & decision-making in transition) to a very advanced degree - if I may be tactful. :cool:

And, I don't think of Nembhard when I say that. I think AN has the ball-handling, passing, and decision-making skills to be very effective in transition. BTW, I think recently he has more often been passing up the floor to open 3-point shooters (Locke in particular) for some transition jump-shots that don't involve any more dribbling or passing (just catch-and-shoot).

I think Mann has a lot of potential to contribute to running as well.

I've got some reservations about pretty much everyone else in at least one of those 3 skills I mentioned.

10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I don’t recall our debate, but I think Andrew can play faster. The guys who concern me in transition are Glover, Mann, Lewis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Why the concern over those 3?

12. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    I don't think Lewis is strong enough, though of those 3 I think he'd be ok...Glover is too hesitant and carries a lot the game is still too fast for him. Mann just can't score, which is a shame because it seems he can create his own shot.

13. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    Andrew can certainly play faster.

14. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I think Mann can do it. He's looked very good in brief flashes of running. I sure wish he hadn't had the setbacks earlier in the season when we had a few easier games.

Locke also concerns me other than being the guy who flairs out to the side for a 3-pointer.

Johnson can fill a lane, but I wouldn't want him leading the break.

15. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    You kept reminding me that White played uptempo at his last job and that we should wait and see. Well, I waited and now we see the same pace as last season. Please look back and find our discussions about it.

16. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I’ve said this before, but I thought we’d outlet to Lewis or Mann on the wings to race the court for easy transition buckets...with KJ or Omar filling the lane behind them. Really challenging opposing D’s. If the D got back, we’d kick the ball back to AN to trigger the half-court O featuring KB. It seemed so simple, elegant, and obvious.

yet, we may have only done this a few possessions outside the 2 frantic comeback halves vs Bama and UGA. Maybe a few times early to help build the lead vs miss state. It really is when are our most productive. We need to see more of it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    oh. I thought you said it was about Andrew.
    Yes- white played uptempo at la-tech.
    Yes, I expected us to play faster this year.
    Yes- I think white wants to play faster but lacks confidence in some of his guys.
    Yes- I think he needs to throw caution to the wind a bit, and push his comfort zone with this group.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I’m not sure how much of the blame for the slow pace falls on White and how much on Nembhard to be honest. Probably quite a bit of both.

19. tcmba

tcmba Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Andrew Spivey could play faster in transition than these guys do.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I think you’ve come up with a potentially entertaining half-time show at a future gator home game. Has @AndrewSpivey been practicing any??