Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida- UGA 2018 re-watch

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Distant Gator, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I always re-watch the season over the spring/ summer. (on DVR.)
    While its hard to watch the losses, I learn so much about the team and the coaches.
    What’s the Holtz saying? “You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose.” The re-watch shows how true this is.

Still, I approached the re-watch of our UGA game with dread. I remember a blowout. And while its true the final score was 36-17, this was not a blowout. If anything we outplayed UGA for the first 50 minutes.
    Let me explain why I’m so encouraged after watching us lose 36-17…

Offense
    • We had zero 3-and-outs in our 1st 9 drives, which covered 3+ quarters of gametime.
    • We lost the TO margin 3-0. UGA scored 10 points off those TOs, and our TOs prevented us from scoring on those drives. If not for the TOs IMO we would have scored 6 on those drives, so that’s a 16 point swing at minimum.
    • The turnovers could be called fluky. We only committed 14 turnovers all year- and 3 of them were in this game. (2 fumbles.) Scarlett’s only fumble of the year was in this game. To me that's a fluke.
    • Our last drive of the first half ended due to an Emory Jones fumble (which he got back.) If Jones simply pitches the ball we get a 1st down, but he fumbled the snap. This gave UGA 3 on the ensuing drive.
    • The Franks TD pass to make the game 14-13 has to be his best pass of his career. Just a perfect ball, in tight coverage, to Swaim, who took it in for a TD. This shows FF has the potential, if he can harness it.
    Defense
    • UGA’s opening drive was a good one, but after taking a 10-0 lead (after the Scarlett fumble) they went 3-and-out 3 straight times.
    • We certainly had a letdown on the last drive of the first half. Perhaps we only played 10 guys but we simply ignored their TE, who caught 4 straight easy passes to get them into FG range. It seems this was also easily preventable.
    • We had some positives in the 2nd half too. Most goal line stands consist of 3 or 4 plays, and they are magnificent (see LSU 2016), but this was even greater than that.
      • UGA started on the ONE, they ran SIX PLAYS due to 2 dubious penalties called on us, yet THEY STILL COULDN’T GET IT IN. This stand should be one of our proudest moments of the season, but its somewhat forgotten due to the loss.
    • UGA did produce 2 TDs on consecutive drives after we closed to 23-17. I don’t mean to make light of that. However, we were missing Henderson and I think our guys just gave out on the 2nd one.
    Coaching
    • I have posted in the past that Mullen is a better X and O guy than Smart. I feel more confident in this after the re-watch. Despite a huge gap in talent, we stood toe to toe with them despite giving them 13 points. We had good initial drives in both halves, though our 1st drive ended with a fumble.
    • Also, Smart made some big tactical mistakes. He ended the half with 2 time outs in his pocket, even though they kicked a FG on 2nd down due to the lack of time. I don’t think he is a strong game-day coach.

Conclusion…
    • It’s still a loss. But there were still a lot of positives.
    • The loss of Henderson was big, and really hurt on those final 2 TD drives.
    • But we would have been ok if not for the 2 lost fumbles and the Emory Jones fumble. (IMO a 19 point swing in total. Take away 13 from UGA, add 6 to us, and its 23-23 even with the Henderson injury.)
    • So while the final score was lopsided, this was after we had everything go against us. Yet we still were almost even with 10 to go. UGA is not that far ahead of us.
    • Our coach is a good bit better than theirs. There is no doubt after watching this.

We are not that far away folks. We have the right guy and he did a fantastic job last year.

(Next game to re-watch is Mizzou. I don't think I'll be so encouraged after this one.)

Edit- here's that Franks TD!! Gives me chills...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    • Like x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. baileyboy1223

baileyboy1223 VIP Member

Nov 29, 2018
    So many missed opportunities in that game but definitely came away with confidence in our team

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Do I have to?

4. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    How do you feel about this compared to what a couple of your players said this week at Media Days?

----

“I don’t feel there’s a gap,” Gators defensive end Jabari Zuniga said Monday at SEC Media Days at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham Wynfrey Hotel. “I feel like the last few years literally the best prepared team won. I don’t think the most talented team won last year. I feel like we had a lot more talent than they did, they just played better than us and came out on top.” (Link)

----

So is there a real talent gap or one just based on Georgia’s ascension to the elite level in college football?

“None at all,” Florida running back Lamical Perine said. “We have just as much talent as Georgia has, maybe more. You can tell by looking at our roster. (Link)

----

According to your own guys it was not about any kind of talent disparity and all about us being either better prepared or lucky with the turnovers.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I would consider it more that the Dawgs got lucky with turnovers, plus the injuries to our DB corps.
    We had to make some crazy position changes just to try to stay in the game in the 4th quarter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    In terms of sheer talent, which I measure by recruiting stars and NFL draft picks, UGA has us beat. I think. (I haven't done the research.)
    I have no problem saying that.

While Perine and Zuniga said what they said, a guy on a team isn't the best source. Athletes have to be uber-confident to get on the field.
    Once you admit that a team is better than you, you have no chance to win. After all, has any player ever said they don't expect to win?
    These guys are not logical. They can't be.

As far as the last 2 years- we were in disarray in 17. I throw that one out.
    In terms of 18- as I said, I think UGA caught 2 breaks. 1) The fumbles 2) Henderson getting hurt.
    If not for those then I think it's a very close game.
    Could have gone either way...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Not sure what you expect a Gator player to say. "There guys are awesome and we just suck"?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Think Harry is making us squirm a bit, they won, on to this year!

CDM: Gator Nation expects only one thing from us: We will Win!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Not at all. The answer to any question they get to that should be "Georgia is a good team, but we are a too. We look forward to getting another shot at them this year to try and get the bad taste of the last 2 seasons out of our mouth."

Instead we get our bulletin board re-stocked. I'm not complaining about that, but these quotes, the ones from Dylan Moses the other day about Clemson....I just don't get it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    Yep. Franks missed the opening play flea flicker that woulda been a TD

Bet he doesn’t miss that throw this season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I understand how you feel! That's how I felt too before I began.
    But once I started I realized- we gave these guys all they could handle for the first 50+ minutes.

And perhaps even outplayed them during that span.
    The last 10 minutes, we gave out.

But we are close, my friend! We are close!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You really think that's bulletin board material?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The main reason we lost to UGA last year was Henderson's injury. CJ Williams got picked on mercilessly and Fromm knew he could throw at him anytime he needed a completion. It would have been a much different ballgame otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    If I was a UGA fan, it is not the players I would worry about. Kirby is great recruiting but he has had some average coaching games and some awful ones. I'd be happy if he were our coach (as long as recruiting is above board) but I would be concerned by his game day acumen.

And if your players need to lean on "bulletin board material" from a Gator saying we are as talented, that is a problem. Hopefully, we will soon repeat Spurrier who used to ask what happens to all those 5 stars that go to UGA ;-)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

That's just how arrogant Georgia is today. "How dare a team say they are just as talented as us?!"

Bulletin board material lmao

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Junior

Nov 29, 2016
    Aaaand what would you expect our guys to say? No we suck.They are way better than we are and their coaches??? Unbelievable. Ours are awful.

Come on Hairy. If you’re going to engage at least have something serious to say. We get nonGator posters all the time who are worth engaging. Cocky, Rem, Jeff and others. You’re just trying to stir things up.

Your arrogance makes me think it is still 1980. Oh wait.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    He knows his team is living on borrowed time. 2017 was an abomination under a clueless HC, and 2018 was Mullen still correcting flaws from the clueless HC. Georgia lost a LOT of talent off last years team and we're not dangerously thin at DB anymore. 2019 should be a game for the ages!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If you need bulletin board material for this game, something is seriously wrong

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Anything can be bulletin board material with the right motivator

20. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Definitely agree on the injuries. But what crazy position changes did we make? Cant remember and didn't have it in me to watch the collapse again!