Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida to add Arky and Tamu to schedule (Official. OP was 1 for 2)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Jul 29, 2020.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    LSU had to play that schedule and went undefeated last year to win it all. Great teams must overcome adversity and we can’t be afraid to play best programs. We are not UGA that avoids competition and has not won championships in decades.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Do you want the bad news or do you want the bad news?

Unfortunately the SEC is in a bind to build a season on the fly so close to the regular beginning of the season. It is what it is if we get a harder schedule than other East teams.

What is the bad news? The momentum in the national psyche isn't about showing courage and letting things be (and a few folks getting sick enough to need treatment). It is all about sounding like we want normalcy but are not prepared to venture off the reservation. I think this season is toast. I think the next "biggie" news will probably be basketball beginning in January.

3. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Honestly, this proposed method is just intellectual laziness. Plus it disturbs the schedules going out years.

I imagine that it would be more sensible to pick 2 teams to add for this year only and then try to keep the schedules as balanced as possible.

However the SEC would love to screw Florida by adding bama and tamu, then taking away SWAC. So, there is a possibility lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You state this like it is a done deal. Why not edit your post to say that this is a proposal cooked up by an internet talking head.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. gators2417

gators2417 Junior

Nov 14, 2014
    If Bama gets added then fine, but this should not count against our normal rotation format with them. It’s not right that they come to Florida and we don’t get to have fans. Play them this year, but when the regular rotation comes back and crowds are allowed, they need to come back to Florida.

Kinda home the SEC goes with the ACC model so the Noles game can stay on but it seems unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They should just keep future rotations as is, and only count the original 8 games in SEC standings this season. Then it's what evs to who they give us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    The whole idea behind who is being added is that it’s just taking the next two cross divisional opponents in the regular rotation. I would guess moving everything up this season would change that rotation in future seasons in some way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    All of this is based on speculation they will just add the next two teams in the rotation to the schedule this year. Whatever the SEC does this season, it should be a one-off year, imho. It should absolutely not affect the future rotation of games.

Competitive balance should be a major factor in deciding what two league games are added to each teams schedule. Of the top 6 teams, 4 are in the west, 2 are in the east. Ditching the divisions seems probable. UF will likely draw 2 games out of Bama-A&M-Auburn. UGA should at least get LSU or A&M, if not both. UK & UT can’t be let off the hook with just adding the scrub west teams though, and that’s the problem. How do you fairly balance the whole thing out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm with you on everything... And then you say UF should draw 2 of bama Tamu Auburn. Say what?

You said all the right things about one off and competitive balance and then just throw the idea away lol. There is no reason to exclude msu and ark. In fact, I don't think you can balance our schedule without one of those 2 teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    The notion of "adding games" is wishful thinking. We should be trying to hold as many games as possible as safely as possible. That likely means cancelling all non-conference games and probably reducing the number of conference games so that games are every other week. This allows more time for teams to test players/staff, deal with any infections, set up safe travel, and not rush meetings, etc in a way that puts games in competition with spreading this virus.

Let's try to "do normal" for the reality we have - maybe each team just plays the teams in its division, and then a 4 team playoff (top 2 from each division) for 2 spots to the big playoffs? But seeking rational compromise is so radical these days.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I said “likely”, not should. :D

12. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Senior

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't see it happening. You add Bama this year with a home slate including LSU without fans and remove them off next years home schedule? That means next year with fans wouldn't have LSU, Bama, or FSU if we don't play them this year. Talk about pissing off season ticket holders. Want us to play Bama? Fine, let's do it but at a neutral site and leave them on next years home schedule. I assumed we would play Arkansas since it has been a while and they aren't on next years schedule. Or better yet let's play UGA in Athens and in Gainesville.

13. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Rational idea. Doesn't give the full nod to TV interests, though.

Ultimately, this may be similar to what things get scaled back to on the fly. Probable that if they do decide to give fall a try it turns into a defacto exhibition season.

14. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    They are going to (rightfully, IMO) try and get in as many games as possible. Will that plan change and they get in fewer as situations change? Possibly.

Honestly it seems to me that CFB players are going to be more at risk on campus and doing normal college stuff than the games. The degree to which programs can manage that will go a long way to deciding how much football we see this fall.

15. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yep. While this would suck for UF this year, this also means that in the following 3 years, UF would play Arkansas, Auburn and MSU. UGA would play Ole Miss, TAMU and LSU.

16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    At bama since bama is coming to Gainesville in 2021 so that means a visit from aTm. No way is bama going to accept coming to Gainesville in back to back seasons the way the SEC forced UF to go to Tuscaloosa in 1963/64. UF won the 63 game and led into the 4th quarter of the 64 game.

UF could also choose to play the FSU game in Tallahassee that does not count for UF, but does count for FSU under the ACC 10 + 1 policy. Like with UGALY, there would always be a one game difference in the record book.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  17. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Based on the rotating SEC opponent schedule, this year Bama would play at UF and we would travel to Texas A&M.

I believe the idea would be to move the next 2 year rotation up to this year and then pick up the 2023 schedule next year. So next year we'd play Arkansas at home.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  18. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Assert dominance. Excellent.
    [​IMG]

19. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    Really. Is there even any reasoning given for conferences going to a "conference games only" schedule?

It seems to me it does absolutely nothing to address the actual problem at hand. It is a non-solution, tantamount to repainting a car to try to fix a blown engine and thinking that will work.
    -------

On another note, I wonder where that sportswriter twitter poster came up with that info on the proposed additions. I don't see any way Stricklin would agree to adding Bama and Texas A&M to our schedule and Georgia gets Miss. State and Arkansas. There is no way that will fly anyone even advocating it couldn't even say it with a straight face.

20. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    So that is where I am mistaken. It didn't even dawn on me conference play is immune to the virus.

Good thing there are people a whole lot smarter than us running college football conferences so that they can wisely work through these things for us.