Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida QB Coach Brian Johnson accepts Eagles QB coach job

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bobbybaker86, Jan 27, 2021.

1. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Like a Bogo. Absolutely

2. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    That sux! Wish him the very best. I was down in the dumps as reading until finding out our new cb who just signed got his 5th star today,!.....MRRRRR...MARSHAL!!!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. robertgator

robertgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I think he’s got to get out of Mullen’s shadow more than something bad. If he wants to go NFL this is the way to go.

4. G8tr69

G8tr69 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    BJ has known Jalen Hurts for a long time, maybe that's part of the reasoning?!? :eek:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    IF he leaves for the NFL.

6. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The League is looking to cultivate every 30-something offensive wunderkind it can find right now. Smart career move it seems.

An easier path to advance, no recruiting, and firmly establishing his individual bone fides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    Higdon on twotter saying we hired replacement already, promotion from within

8. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Kind of curious what offensive/position coach we replace him with. QB coach not a necessity with Mullen here unless QB coaching is too time consuming to pair with his HC responsibilities. Which it very well may be to do it right.

9. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Gonzales was one those who helped create Meyer's offense.

10. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  11. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Seems like a solid hire. Decent resume and familiarity with what we are doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. rwjgator

rwjgator Freshman

Aug 1, 2017
    I’m wondering what this says about our QB’s next year. First Mullen explores NFL opportunities and now this? Are they trying to make the most out of the lottery they hit in Trask? Is this a sign that the guys we have behind Trask aren’t all that we hope? Sorry don’t mean to be the sky if falling guy, but trying to read the tea leaves. I’ve been thrilled with Mullen and always liked him since his days as our OC. This is the first time I’ve ever been concerned. Why would Johnson leave as an elite college program as a new OC for an NFL QB coach position if he didn’t think he could be successful? As an up and coming OC with great recruiting prowess seems college football would be the place to be for him and a head coaching job is in his near future. Now he goes to an NFL to be a QB coach on a team with an unstable QB situation. Do NFL position coaches pay better than college coordinators? Thoughts?

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    Mullen has one foot out the door. Its been pretty apparent with these latest hires and other more promising coaches going elsewhere ( i.e. TRob )

• Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  14. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    a few of us feel the same way about Mullen over there in Awesome Recruiting about Mullen having one eye on the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    The Sky is falling,
    The sky is falling
    :rolleyes:

16. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    What bothers me is we pay a head coach 6 million+ . If UF football is not doing everything with a championship mindset, from the UAA on down to the coaches and players, then why are we paying a head coach all this money? If UF isn't serious about contending for championships on a year-to-year basis, the school should hire Kerwin Bell or some other lower tier head coach for a fraction of the salary. That way I will know how serious the school is about winning championships. Hence, I will know not to complain so much because I know where the school stands on football.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Don't be bothered. But if you are, suggest better candidates that we could have hired.

18. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Congrats to Johnson, another resume builder I guess, but given the eagles history he will probably looking for another job in a year or two.

19. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Mullen is finally moving to an offense that he wants, which is less of a pro-style. If that type of offense suits Johnson's coaching & is the direction he wants to go, then no better time to move on then after taking an obscure QB to a Heisman finalist.

I miss the offensive innovation that we saw when Mullen was his own OC. I don't know if the QB's we have on board can read a defense & make the decisions like Trask did. Until we find that out, we'll need to rely on Mullen's wizardry.

We will probably miss his recruiting, where we need an awful lot of help.