Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida principal spanks kid on video

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, May 5, 2021.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  2. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    6 year old, wtf, I was at least 7 or 8 in my first school paddling. But just the teacher, I never offended big enough to get admin, until high school

3. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    LOL. How old are you? I went to elementary school in the 80s and paddling was just a myth from days of yore by then.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It doesn't happen often, but districts can establish guidelines for when corporal punishment is allowed. The state doesn't require parental consent, but most districts do have that as a part of their guidelines.

5. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    According to the Fox News article I linked above, corporal punishment is banned in the district. But you are right, I looked it up, Florida is one of 19 states that hasn’t banned corporal punishment outright. Seems crazy that adults can commit assault and battery On kids over minor property damage.

But if it is banned in that district, then the principal should probably be fired, at the very least .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I got paddled in Middle School in the 90s. I completely deserved it though. I was being an ass.

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    I was "assaulted and battered" for a hell of lot less than property damage in the 60s.

I didn't spank my own children. Not because I thought it was cruel but because I didn't think it was effective.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I was in middle school in Seminole county in the mid 80’s and I can verify from my own experience that they paddled middle school kids.

9. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Can't recall when I received my first paddling at school but it was either the late fifties or early sixties and no one checked with my parents to see if it was okay. I'm sure I didn't want them to check with my parents anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

A got a few spankings as a kid...I never then or now considered it "assault".

...but my parents also didnt beat me...just a couple love taps on my softest parts.

I question the effectiveness overall.
    It certainly can be a deterrent, but is often just a lazy parents way of not having to really fix a problem.

11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Ok...just saw the video.

What the heck man!?

I am actually OK with a parent using a very minimal amount of of spanking, in severe cases to establish a deterrent for certain things but public embarrassment while being spanked by a school admin?

Sorry that's a no for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My dad could get after it with a 2 x 4 when I was a kid, but never had a problem at school.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I think it might be a deterrent only in extreme situations, and even then, corporal punishment can backfire and is generally ineffective.

*Not judging your or anyone else using it in such circumstances.

14. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Damn youngsters :D

We got paddled in front of the class too! You know to reinforce manners to the class. It certainly left an imprint on me.

I still ma’am and sir folks to this day. And I never call anyone a jackass. At a lick a letter it was a poor word choice. Mobile don’t play

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    We moved from Brooklyn NY to a small town in central Florida in summer 1972.

on the first day of school in fall 1972 I clearly remember every male teacher that I had sitting in front of the class and carving that year’s paddle while we all watched. Was meant to intimidate but all I could think was “what kind of backwater place have my parents moved us to?”

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    1956, 8th grade, Buchholz Jr. HS, Gainesville. Paddler: Coach Buster Bishop, who later lead UF to its first golf national championship. It was 3 whacks with a fraternity paddle for my best friend and I. We took it like men, but peed in our pants. We deserved it. We also never cut up again! Loved Coach Bishop despite the paddling.

• Like Like x 2
  17. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    The high school coach had a big gun rack with different types of paddles. You got to choose. Damn mind games

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    My mom’s spanking had the effect of making me laugh...which made her try harder but it was futile.

My dad only needed only one swat to disable any sitting for a few hours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. surfin_bird

surfin_bird Junior

Jan 24, 2017
    Good times. Kids today are such snow flakes. I remember breaking the principal's paddle with my dingo boot. Timed the heel placement perfectly. Good thing he didn't have a spare. So, corporal punishment is not effective.

• Like Like x 1