Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida loses “Coach Coop” to UofL. Leaving to be Recruiting Coordinator

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Feb 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    That’s the dirty part we often gloss over, the with Florida talent part of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

I get the "come on mans" but truth is truth:

10-3
    11-2
    8-4
    Year 4?

3. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hey, I'm just a fan but this is what is a known fact:

When Urban left we lost the recruiting dominance in the State.
    Alabama came in and has filled that void in the State of Florida.

That's why Bama is shinning up Nicks latest trophy and why we haven't had a sniff since 09.

4. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    And I'm not a recruitnik like most of you guys. I come here for the majority of my info.

5. core545

core545 Sophomore

Apr 8, 2007
    Spurrier and meyer had 9-4 records in year 3... Guess we should of got rid of them

6. FLIPCUP

FLIPCUP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    If my memory is correct...
    In year two Urban went 13-1 with a BCS Championship
    In year two Steve went 10-2 with a loss in the Sugar Bowl

To achieve greatness and or maintain that level it requires BOTH elite coaching and the Jimmys/Joes. That statement is not directed to any one person...just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Donzo

Donzo Premium Member

May 20, 2008
    Dang, the power whiners gettin' their bitch on pretty good here... Awful

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The 8-4 is a little misleading due to a conference only schedule and facing Bama in SEC champ game. If we play non conf games and FSU we boost the win totals

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Of course apk, and I don't want to come across as a shill, I'm a huge Gator but after monitoring recruiting for the last several years and being a complete "homer" about the brand of HS Football played in the state of Fla I have come to the firm conclusion that the odds of UF going to the playoffs are pretty low until CDM captures the state in recruiting again. Bama can't be taking 3X the best players in the state every year or two and expect them not to beat us. Not going to happen, I think the Urban / 2009 thing to the present has pretty much confirmed what happens when UF wins the recruiting battles especially in our state.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I'm just saying win recruiting in Florida and UF is back in the game. Until then we gonna suck hind tit.

11. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Donzo, this is the first "bitch" post I've written in years in awesome recruiting.
    Say what you will, Bama comes in here and purges 7 of the top 10 year in and year out and UF is not going to win an SEC or National Championship..........IMO.

12. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Agreed, great recruiting, great coaching, great facilities - all needed.

13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    But you were indicating by your post that the "lesser" record this season was indicative of a program in decline.....and hence my post of why the record is misleading, and also an indication that I don't think the program is moving backward. I mean, if we play the normal schedule there is no TAMU game, we don't lose to FSU or the other weak sisters.....so 11-1 we probably aren't having this conversation. Ultimately, my point is comparing 2019 record to 2020 record isn't apples to apples.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    L
    That’s going to be hard because Miami is locking down South Florida again and people can laugh if they want, but let FSU stumble upon a 7/8 win year this upcoming season and watch them end up with a top 15 class because kids are still interested in FSU, but need something, anything to believe Norvell can/will turn it around. We have our work cut out for us man and I’ve accepted that we aren’t going to routinely win the battle of the blue chips in the state of Florida. Bama and Miami have won that the past two seasons

15. okcgator

okcgator All American

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    Wasn’t it a baseball coach at MSU? It’s like all that was going on while the staff was transitioning that first year.

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Nah, it was me.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    I’ll give u the Bama loss but the LSU and Oklahoma losses were fugly, and wouldn’t happen under a coach like Saban. Shouldnt happen under CDM, but your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  18. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I give you Utah kicking Bamas butt in the Sugar Bowl that did happen under Saban.....fugly (kid named Brian Johnson threw for about 350 yds). Every coach has their embarrassing losses, Saban and Spurrier included. Is Marco throwing the shoe less infamous than Bama letting Chris Davis run a missed field goal back for a TD on the final play in the Iron Bowl? And those are examples of what many would consider the best coach on the best dynasty in college football history.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    The Iron Bowl loss was epic. But I should have been clearer. Saban improved over time - as a coach and as a recruiter. Jury is still out for me on CDM. Do I think there’s a better coach out there to replace him? No I don’t. But that doesn’t mean he gets a pass either in the obvious areas of improvement that are needed (namely recruiting and defense).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree on both points....he doesn't get a pass in my book either, and there are areas to improve for sure.
    But he's got 31 years to improve over time and get to that Saban level!

How crazy is it to realize there is that much age differential

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.