Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Hires Former Auburn Athletic Director Jay Jacobs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Jun 6, 2018.

1. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]
    Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey (left) talks with Auburn Tigers athletic director Jay Jacobs before the SEC Championship game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium between Auburn and Georgia.
    Marvin Gentry-USA TODAY Sports

Tuesday the Florida Gators announced the hiring of former Auburn University Athletic Director Jay Jacobs as an Executive Associate Athletic Director.

Jacobs spent more than 30 years in the Auburn athletic department including the last 13 as the Athletic Director. During that time Jacobs served as a graduate assistant, conditioning coach, assistant athletics director and associate athletics director for operations.

“Some people are fortunate to say they are coming home once in their careers, now I am lucky enough to say it twice,” Jacobs said in a statement. “Having attended high school in Jacksonville, I’m honored and privileged to join the UAA and continue to work in the nation’s best conference in the SEC. I am looking forward to working with Scott Stricklin and the rest of the staff to help serve the Gator student-athletes, coaches and fans of the Gator Nation.”

During his tenure Jacobs presided over $220 million in facility improvements, with an additional $96 million in stages of planning and execution on the table at the time of his retirement. He also oversaw the hiring of nutritionists, mental-health professionals and the construction of the South Donahue Residence Hall and Wellness Kitchen created to benefit the student-athlete experience.

Florida hires former Auburn AD Jay Jacobs | GatorCountry.com

Jacobs Tabbed Executive Associate Athletic Director - Florida Gators

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Jacobs will serve as a member of Florida’s senior executive staff and oversee communications, marketing, ticketing and GatorVision departments. Jacobs is replacing Mike Hill, who left Florida to accept the Athletic Director job at UNC Charlotte.

“Florida Athletics is fortunate to have someone of Jay’s caliber joining the UAA,” Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin said in a statement. “His character, vision, experience and ability to connect with people will be tremendous assets to our department. Additionally, having served in a leadership role in the SEC, Jay understands the great privilege and responsibility we have as a member of this wonderful conference. It’s exciting to have Jay joining the Gators.”

Auburn won 12 National Championships during Jacobs’ time as Athletic Director but he resigned amid controversy, including a Title IX investigation into the softball program, a wrongful termination suit brought by former baseball coach Sunny Galloway (the case was settled out of court), a federal discrimination lawsuit by former assistant track coach and a FBI arrest of former basketball assistant Chuck Person.

Florida hires former Auburn AD Jay Jacobs | GatorCountry.com

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A lot of baggage with this hire.

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Ya think ?
    On the other hand, his track record (putting the negatives aside for a moment) knowledge and experience are +++.
    Jacobs, the 2017 NACDA / Under Armour Athletics Director of the Year and one of five finalists for the 2017 Sports Business Journal Athletics Director of the Year, played a key role in Auburn's reputation for creating one of the best game-day environments in all of college football after launching a commitment to customers earlier this decade.
    I'm gonna trust Scott Stricklin on this.

• Like Like x 3
  5. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    I agree, feels kind of slimy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    That was my first thought when I saw it. On the plus side, his responsibilities appear to limit his exposure to get us in trouble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    As previously stated - a bit concerned - Foley did a great job with compliance.
    Our new hire from Auburn existed in a culture that does not reflect UF's, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. SwampBrody

SwampBrody All American

Nov 13, 2008
    We’re about to get a little better at recruiting

• Funny x 7
    • Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  9. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    This is the saving grace. Hopefully, we keep him occupied in those roles only. Auburn is no. 1 and Mississippi State is, or at least was, in the Top 5 for number of NCAA sanctions among major university sports programs. I actually like Mississippi State (hate Auburn), but this makes me nervous.

You could call Foley a penny-pincher, and you could say he lacked imagination, or that he didn't take care of certain coaches / sports - and you could make a case for those things. You could also make a case against those things.

But Jeremy Foley's most enduring two legacies for me are - in order: 1) We never even sniffed problems with the NCAA; 2) All those championships.

Speaking as a Gator who suffered, and I mean suffered, through having my school dragged through the mud EVERY day for three solid years by everybody from the New York Times to ABC Sports, I NEVER want to go through that again.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You mean blaring loud music during games?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    I don’t think you can hang the sliminess of Auburn onto one guy. They were slimy before he got there and are still slimy.

I don’t understand the roles/responsibilities well enough but as previously stated I guess I’ll trust have to trust Stricklin on this one.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. sflagator

sflagator Premium Member Trusted GC Insider

Apr 3, 2007
    We weren’t as clean as some of you seem to think during the Foley era (not Foley’s fault, just reality). Also our compliance department which is the best in the NCAA remains intact.

Just as a general comment, I don’t really understand this hire at all. There are plenty of young guys out there who are up and comers and don’t have any baggage at all. I don’t know how much of the responsibility he bears for the stuff that went on at Auburn ( probably very little) but we could’ve hired somebody really good where that was not even a question

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gatorinmi

Apr 8, 2007
  15. acegator

acegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I imagine someone being a previous AD would jump back into that level position with another school shortly. I would find it strange for someone to be happy with a position lower then where they were before for long.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Seems like less than a lateral move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorinmi

Apr 8, 2007
    I would think any job that isn't "unemployed somewhat disgraced former AD" would be a huge step up.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. gatorinmi

Apr 8, 2007
    Doesn't seem like a hire Foley would've made. Hope it works out!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BanditGator

BanditGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    NCAA scrutiny

20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We were able to hire a very experienced candidate for this position opening, as no one would hire him as an AD due to compliance record at Auburn in multiple sports. However, Auburn facilities are incredible

• Funny Funny x 1