Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Gators vs Oral Roberts 2nd Round Mar 21 (Sun) 7:45 PM

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Mar 19, 2021.

1. 31g8r

31g8r All American

Oct 20, 2013
    It’s about time if some asks coach if he knows what a midline is

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We would put a heavier emphasis on the biased officiating because of Billy's track record which White has yet to establish in 6 years. He has allowed FSU and Leonard to become the premier program in the state which in football is automatic grounds for termination at Florida.

Billy's record was something like 12-7 against FSU. White is 0-6. If Mullen, Meyer, Zook, McElwain, Spurrier or Muschamp went 0-6 against FSU, they would be kicked out of Gainesville.

We have lowered our standards and accepted mediocrity. It is almost as if we are going through a self imposed half a decade plus probation under Mike White. Losing has become "so whatish".

White has winning margins of 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 18

Donovan has winning margins of -1, -1, -4, 8, 13, 21, 17, 13, 17, 9, 16, 27, 30, 12, 14, 21, 8, 21, 33

Do you see the negative slope? Yes White is playing tougher games OOC. But you could halve all of Donovan's plus margins and he'd have a marked advantage in winning over losing than White does. White simply does not know how to win big games consistently Donovan did. There are other coaches who do who for the millions and millions of dollars that our school has paid White would have won more games for us.

Here is a telling tale in Donovan's 19 years he had 7 double digit loss years. White in 6 years has had 5. How much more do we have to take????

MW's best year of recruiting landed us two McDonald All Americans which is the most White has had in all of his 6 years. In 2011-2012 Donovan had 4 FOUR MCDONALD'S ALL AMERICANS on roster- Boynton, Rosario, Beal and Young. What happened to our recruiting under White if you are going to blame the level of play on the players? I totally disagree with you. With a healthy KJ and Billy coaching the team, he would have beaten that 2011-2012 team even with Bradley Beal. That team was very beatable and lost 11 games one of Donovan highest total losses as a coach at Florida.

We have to face reality. We have finished one year of his six in the top twenty five despite having started the years ranked in it in many instances.

We keep losing players to transfer and are forced more than most major basketball programs to bring in transfers. That reeks of instability.

He gets one more year in my book, and anything short of at least contending for the regular season SEC championship where it comes down to a game or two either way, and it is time to move on.

Billy has shown that the road to a deep run in the NCAA starts with dominating your conference or at least contending for a conference title. MW has done neither.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Now you are moving the goalposts. You said "Killed on corner threes". That never happened.

I have been more critical of Mike than AKA has. If Covid never happened and all things were normal, I would have been done.

But we had no postseason last year and lost KJ and had 3 stoppages this year.
    The foul discrepancy last night was worse than a game at Rupp with Shows and Valentine reffing.

I think he earns another year and his offense player really good last night.

This isnt about what I think vs. AKA. because I have been more critical of Mike generally than AKA has.
    Heck he has talked my back from the pitchforked ledge previously.

Ya know. It's weird. I have been pretty passive this season. Just glad to have games to watch. Sorta looking at it as a "what will be" sorta year. But last night felt "normal" again in intensity. The bummed out level made me toss and turn. I was so pissed for those guys. They deserved to win. Mike included.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tilly

We were up on FSU 11-3 when KJ collapsed. It looked like we were going to run them. The whole world for the program collapsed at that moment.
    Also...Mike isnt Billy. No one is. If we are looking for the next Billy, we will likely be disapointed again and again. I only brought him up to show that the officiating would have been the story under him and SHOULD be today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tilly

See, THIS I agree with. If normalcy returns I support this 100%. 2 "lost seasons' notwithstanding that would still be 4 disappointing seasons and 1 great one.
    Again...I am speaking of last nights game. Peoples overall view of Mike is clouding what happened last night. We were screwed.

I have been critical of Mike.
    I rarely rip on officials.

Yet here I am doing the opposite today because it is the truth imo.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tilly

But again...look at the stats. We got off a similar number of shots as them, and had plenty of possessions. They kept getting to the line and we kept turning it over. Our offense was no worse than theirs outside of some misses over that stretch. Again...look at the play by play on ESPN. We got looks down the stretch. They just got to the line much more because of the early bonus and goofy calls.

7. tilly

"OVERCOME THE ADVERSITY ON THE FIELD COURT"

8. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I’m not saying White deserves to be fired for the game against ORU or as a result of this whole season. I said from the time KJ went down that it didn’t matter what happened from that point forward that White was going to be given a free pass on the season. Nobody doubts that losing KJ was a huge loss for our team. But I’m not basing my opinion of White on this season alone. I’ve seen him fold like a cheap umbrella at crunch time for his entire tenure at Florida. The choke last night by White wasn’t a fluke, it’s happened before and he hasn’t shown that he has learned from it and improved as a good coach. He undoubtedly will get another year. No question about it. Will next year be better? I don’t know what the future holds but I don’t see things being better as long as White is our coach. We’ve seen this story enough to make a pretty good guess at what to expect going forward. We will make the tournament most seasons coming in as a 6-9 seed range, win a game and be done in the first weekend of the tournament. That will be enough to satisfy a big portion of Florida fans and keep White off the hot seat. Rinse, wash, repeat. Then there will be fans like myself that desires more. Fans that want a realistic chance at being in the hunt for a Final Four every now and then, fans that want a top 25 caliber team each season. White isn’t the coach that can give us that and that’s just being realistic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Got to disagree with your assessment of White being a good coach. Evidently your determination of good is a lot different than mine. A good coach doesn’t slow down his team that is winning in almost all phases of the game. A good coach doesn’t have his poorest free throw shooter in at crunch time. Not in my opinion of a good coach but maybe I’m being too critical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We didn’t press the issue. We had their team broken and we let them back in the game not because of turnovers or because of their offensive prowess or even the free throws. They got back into the game because MW as he has been prone to do game in and game out year in and year out- took the foot off the pedal. What was a brilliantly run fame plan for many segments early in the game despite the turnovers became this unnecessary grind it out slow it down to snail’s pace and wait until the last second offense.

We played 8 players when our other four- glover, Jitoboh, Reshentsev and Lane were as good if not better than their starters minus Ahmas and Obanor who were their entire team.

White gets killed by the disadvantages of playing smaller players but then does not take advantages of his advantages - Castleton’s height along with Payne and Jitoboh. Not once did he play the three together which would have created a totally different look forward our defense and our offense.

Why have a bench if you are not going to use it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    great post, I could not agree more. In addition to 0-6 against FSU, White is also 6-14 against UK and Tennessee. His results are just not good enough considering the recruiting he's done and the talent we have.

12. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Those aren't TOs if they were called as fouls like they should have been.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. tilly

I think people posting on this forum want more. Casual fans aren't posting on NBN. This is where the hard core fans are.
    I just think everyone is complaining about the wrong things. It's a wildfire. Like the guy complaining that Mike sucks on inbound plays.

My concerns are more about why did Hudson and now Scottie basically become shells of themselves? Why do we blow out Tennessee, but lose to to MSU.
    Why do we win in Morgantown, but lose to USCe?

My concern is more the mindset that brings those things about.
    It isn't as simple as slowing down an offense that is deliberate in nature to start with.

My worries about Mike boil down to one word. Consistency and Digression (of star players).

But this past weekend was not caused by those things really. (although Scottie is the New Jalen Hudson imo)

• Like Like x 1
  14. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Valid points, won’t disagree. My concern with White is more than just the player development, which is an issue we have seen in too many former and now current players. I don’t see him motivating the team, making good coaching moves especially in crunch time, and other smaller details like working the refs like he should. Those concerns aren’t improving as White now has coached 6 seasons at Florida. I’m afraid he isn’t growing into becoming the coach that we need to once again reach the level we were at with Donovan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    We have to face reality. We have finished one year of his six in the top twenty five despite having started the years ranked in it in many instances.

THIS ^

KJ was a tragedy. Covid is a tragedy.

Fine give CMW a "by" this year, I can handle that.

Next year, provided no extenuating circumstances, no tragedies, no Covid / Normalcy returns and we finish the 31 game regular season at 18 - 13. 2nd round exit - (if we even get in)

When that happens (again) hopefully UF will move on. 7 season's is enough for anyone in any sport to prove themselves. I like coach White, I do but he needs to "Nut Up".

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Oral Roberts played an overtime game and had 4 players play over 40 minutes vs. our 2 and they play fewer guys. Two of their players have played every minute of both games. They should have been the more tired team.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    And they were. We were running and gunning and they started missing shots, probably due to fatigue. Then we quit making them play defense for 2/3 of our possession time. They regained their wind and started hitting shots...and we never recovered our rhythm.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. jbush22

jbush22 Freshman

Jan 12, 2021
    This is true. Later Mann was quoted that the gator players were instructed to expend all of their energy on defense and that's supposedly why we slowed down on offense. Sounds like a conditioning issue to me

19. jbush22

jbush22 Freshman

Jan 12, 2021
    totally agree. while I'm as disappointed as anyone this year was so f'd. losing our best player that the team philosophy was centered around combined with the limitations of covid and frankly I'm amazed that we went as far as we did.

20. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Manipulated outcome. Florida was driving to the basket late and getting mugged with no calls. You can’t overcome that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2