Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Gators vs Oral Roberts 2nd Round Mar 21 (Sun) 7:45 PM

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Mar 19, 2021.

1. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim Sophomore

Mar 15, 2009
    Before tonight, I may have thought there were a number of reasons we lost. I’m pretty sure the inexplicable slowdown of the game in the 2nd half was the cause; and it’s not like this was the first time. It just cannot be explained unless you are trying not to lose. Think back a few years ago when UF was in game 2 against
    LSU in the college World Series. O’ Sullivan brought in the next game starter to close out the game (amongst gasps from the tv announcers) We won that game and were NC’s that year. Our coach played to win and had faith in his pitcher. He did not coach to avoid winning.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Why? Sometimes a couple of minutes rest for Castleton and Mann could make the difference. We had 20 turnovers with them on the bench. What are saying in two minutes of play that is all they would have been capable of doing? Turning the ball over more? And if so, why do we have them on our team?? And who was responsible for giving them a scholarship? It all points to White either way.

3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

1. Shaq's FT% never got better, in fact it got worse.
    .592 in his rookie season. he was lower than that for 16 of his next 18 years. Many years (seven in fact) under .500.

Big guys struggle with the arc and motion that consistent FT's require. I saw a video on this one...I wish I could remember where. But the arc is flattened for taller guys. Making a FT rhythm harder. It is often easier to shoot further out, or in most cases just make short range bank shots.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Right, those 2 guys are wasted scholarships and that is on the HC. Glover isn't SEC caliber and Jitoboh can't switch on to guards defensively like CMW asks his bigs to do. And he would have been lost on the perimeter getting out to their 5 man who shots well.

It was obvious during the UTjr game in Knoxville that Glover isn't the answer.

The fatigue thing is an excuse by CMW. His guys weren't tired. Was Appleby tired from getting layups?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Probably needs a change of environment. As per usual, look for at least 3 transfers in the off season.

6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    They made 3 threes in the last 6:24 of the game. Nine points is huge especially when one team is slowing the ball down. Hell, even akaGatorhoops is admitting that White blew it and he has been a strong defender of White from day one. There is no point in sugar coating it, White made bad coaching decisions down the stretch that gave this game away. White choked. Our guys played well enough to win this game. The loss is on White. I know you can say that this is the reaction that you would expect from me but when Aka says it, it should tell you that it isn’t just the White bashers club anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We took 10 shots in the last 10 minutes of the game. That is one quarter of a game and we only got 10 shots. We had 58 for the entire game. That means we averaged 16 for the other 3 10 minute periods when we were running an offense. There is no question that White's call to slow the offense down which he concedes was his call, cost us our rhythm. our momentum and ultimately the game.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

That is a great example. If you are going to play into the hands of your opponent every game, then you are going to lose a lot of those games. The winning percentage that we have under MW is due to the incredible competitiveness of his players and his uncanny eye for talent. Unfortunately for MW, his recruiting ability cannot make up for his acute deficits in game time coaching and player development. Those factors have him on the precipice of termination.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    He also could have used Neils Lane to give a breather for one of the guys. Osifo was a game changing mistake by White to have in that late in the game. Put that empty possession square on White’s shoulders. Stevie Wonder has a better free throw percentage than Osifo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Arrrghhhh I knew he would miss it and sure enough "Clunk"

11. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Everyone says that about the players that MW has not played on his bench over the years. They all transfer and have productive careers with other programs and other coaches. The list is endless. You can do the research yourself. Or worse other than perhaps Mann and Johnson, name one player who got better from his freshman year to his sophomore or junior year on MW programs???????

As far as 6'8" Obanor goes, he shot 4-7 from three against us and 5-12 against OSU - a combined 9-19 or 50%. Are you claiming that with Jitoboh in he would have shot 60% from 3? He was lights out no matter who guarded him. We had guards guarding him, big men guarding him. He is simpy an exceptional player. So instead of burning out players out trying to guard him, we should have given them some rest and in the stretch we would have had fresher players.

Abmas had our guards running all over the floor. We should have put Lane and Glover in just to provide a respite.

12. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    As soon as they blew the whistle I yelled out an expletive because I knew ORU took advantage of Osifo being in the game. Everybody watching knew he was not gonna make the free throw. I tip my hat to the ORU coaching staff. They told the team to foul Osifo as soon as he touched the ball because they knew that was as good as a turnover. Notice White took him out as soon as he could after the missed free throw? Well, a little too late after the damage was done. A coach that is getting paid millions of dollars a year shouldn’t be making mistakes this elementary. A good high school coach wouldn’t make this mistake.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim Sophomore

Mar 15, 2009

14. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

He says make the free throws and we are up by double digits???? We shot 7-9 from the free throw line. This was a text book offensive game until MW started tampering with what was working. No other coach deconstructs success the way MW does. Leonard has become the premier program in Florida because of MW plain and simple. We are sitting back now watching FSU do what we used to do because we have a coach that seasons a turkey to perfection, and then when he starts eating it, washes the seasoning off under the faucet.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Lol, the guys who transfer out (except for Nembhard) go to smaller programs. I expect them to do well there, they're playing against equal or lesser talent and not guys who are better than them. See Gorjak Gak. See Mike O. See D. Bassett. No longer playing against SEC teams and they look better.

Jimmy Dykes even asked what the hell Glover was doing. He and Jitoboh aren't SEC caliver players.

If Jitoboh played ORU would've just put him ina ball screen and then we would be screwed. He can't play against a team that goes 5-out offensively. This is kind of an easy thing to see.

And no, I don't think Glover should've spelled Appleby or Mann or Locke. Not tonight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Sorry to disappoint you but the coaches coaching the bigs have not been there for 6 years. The coaches doing the analytics have not been there for 6 years. The only staff that has been there the entire 6 years is Mike White. He has only himself to blame. We had more McDonald's All Americans than Virginia Tech and ORU combined, and we almost lost both games. It is time to start laying the foundation for the post White era.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim Sophomore

Mar 15, 2009
    Ok, perhaps I was mistaken about Shaq. Castleton is a good FT shooter and you see many big guys in this tourney make a good %. I’m not expecting them to shoot 70% but I would like to see the ball have a chance. Early in the season, one of the first few games, Durugi nearly busted down the backboard on some FT’s; he has not improved one iota and if I were his coach, that would not be acceptable. I made 33 FT’s playing in 7th grade and I just about shot a set shot. He should be shooting 50-60% at least or he is a liability, especially late in a game.

18. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    I must be missing the “big games”.

19. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Lol.."bug games" has a different meaning for Scottie. Try this...

Big game=15 points or more
    Average game= about 7 points
    Bad games=2 points or less

20. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    I could be wrong but I remember slowing it down with over 8 minutes to go and up 11. That is like having almost a quarter left in football and being up one TD. If we were up 20 with 4 minutes to go then this strategy would be sound.

• Agree Agree x 2