Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Gators vs Oral Roberts 2nd Round Mar 21 (Sun) 7:45 PM

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Mar 19, 2021.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

LOL. That is even true. Our lead was only 3 at the 5 minute mark.
    We took 3 more shots from the field then they did in the final 5 minutes.

I mean do you guys even watch the games?

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Billy would not have taken the air out of the ball as early as we did today. It gave ORU a chance to rest and totally took us out of the great rhythm we had going offensively.

Coach White had the team prepared and had a great offensive gameplan going in. He deserves a lot of credit for that. However, the big slowdown lost us the game. Without it, we easily overcome the officiating as we would have controlled our own destiny. You don't get many fouls called on the other team when you have one guy dribbling by himself at half court for 15 seconds every possession.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I agree that we got some bad calls but that wasn’t why we lost. Not covering the corner threes that we were getting killed on and the slowing down of the ball changed the momentum of the game. ORU played an overtime game too so there was no difference. Poor end of game management by White lost the game for the Gators in a game they clearly were outplaying ORU. If he had just let them keep playing we would have won going away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    so I got the time wrong - does not change what happened

5. tilly

Most of our points came in the half court. Those backdoor dunks look exactly like Mike Whites coaching clinic sets. (Check YouTube if you think I'm making stuff up) People act like we were the '85 Lakers and then suddenly stopped playing ball.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I like you tilly but you will never convince me MW has earned the right to keep his job

7. GATORJV

GATORJV Senior

Oct 10, 2014
    I think I've learned more about basketball offense from you tonight @tilly then I have lurking this forum for a decade. Lol.

8. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    He was great the first 30 minutes of the game, imo. What happened after that was something we've seen too many times with his teams. We slow the game down, guys who don't need to have the ball have it and we waste possessions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    LA Metro area
    Everyone blaming the refs and pointing to our stats needs to look at the tOSU-ORU box score. Look at Ohio State’s numbers vs ORU’s. Aside from three pointers, OSU won or was even in every category. Now pay special attention to the turnovers. You can’t turn the ball over that many times and expect to win a game.

10. tilly

"Killed on"???
    They made 3 corner 3's the whole game.

C'mon man. One of those was early and only one down the stretch.

11. tilly

*Whispers* "Psst. Check FT's in that game."
    Hint: They were dead even. 18-18

If they were called even tonight, we win by double digits.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tilly

Look. I only played through HS. Had one scout watch me one game....I laid an egg. :)
    I coach youth hoops. My knowledge is not that extensive. But I do love the game. Played and have coached a bit. I enjoy the moving pieces of the game. Especially the college game.

Mike is struggling. But not for the generic reasons people toss around here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim Sophomore

Mar 15, 2009
    I’m no coach but as for the turnovers, you can do what John Wooden did; sit the players down that throw the ball away. (not in the tourney but early in the season) Similarly to Tom Coughlin, you fumble, you don’t play. You know the rule so don’t fumble/ turn the ball over. 20 TO’s at the very worst = 20 less shots for us and 20 more shots for them. Not sustainable.
    As for the players that can barely hit the rim on free throws, teach them and practice every single day. Shack learned how to shoot FT’s better. I can’t believe Durugi can hit 15-20’ jumpers but dang near knocks the backboard down on FT’s. Unacceptable. He has to make 7 out of 10 FT’s in practice or he won’t start and cannot be in a close game in the last 3-4 minutes. I wonder if White is doing this, maybe, but these problems have not improved this entire season. I guarantee the players will improve if they the consequences. Teach them to shoot the ball over the front of the rim. I know the world record holder in consecutive free throws at like 5,358 in a row +/-. It’s technique and practice, like putting. You cannot tell me a superior athlete cannot make 7 out of 10 free throws consistently.
    Tonight is the first time I am agreeing with folks on here that think we need a change.

14. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We suffered turnovers because of the erratic offense that we didn't have to run. We went from a team making beautiful passes and cuts (and yes some turnovers) to a clueless and seemingly coachless squad. Lewis goes from stellar performance on Friday to missing in action today. This inconsistency has become the hallmark aspect of this program under White. And it is sad given the talent level

If you are going to build a championship team, you do it with a coach who when given a shot at putting a program on the map, does so and sustains it. Or you get a coach who takes over the reigns as White did and instill in each player what it means to play for Florida. White has had 5 recruiting classes and loads of transfers.

The people in this thread who are the enablers of mediocrity can look at turnovers and other mishaps by the players, but when it happens 6 years in a row with the talent we have had here at Florida, it is time to stop blaming the players. And unfortunately for all of you who do so, if the players are the problem, then who is principally responsible for player recruitment and development???? Either way it all fades to White.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

Uh...yeah. Because it didn't really happen. We were outshooting them in attempts. We were just running controlled sets and had some good looks not go down. It's like running the ball up 10 points with 5 minutes left in football.

You have a plan for it, but if you don't get first downs it can bite you...but so can a pick six.
    A missed shot is like having to punt, but a turnover is a pick six.

Basketball and football coaches don't want late turnovers.
    A missed shot like a punt at least lets you set your defense while working clock.

But a turnover can completely ruin you.

So while it bit us in the but, our turnovers coupled with the sloppy officiating dictated a slow down to some extent. Steady the ship. Protect the ball.
    Sometimes the right thing still fails.

Roy, Cal, K, Izzo...all coaches do this.

16. tilly

No one is enabling him. I have given my share of criticism. BUT TONIGHT...we were robbed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    If that was the main argument, I could work with that. It is a good argument, and if one is going to criticize Coach White, this is how you do it intelligently, and on a real issue.

• Like Like x 1
  18. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We weren't too tired to foul!! They were in the bonus with 11 minutes left in the second half. Why not use your bench. Why not put Glover in and Payne in? Why not Ruzhentsev? We lost anyway. We had Duruji who barely played in the second half. Glover, Jitoboh, Ruzhentsev, and Lane did not play at all.

19. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Glover and Jitoboh shouldn't have played in this game. Lane was the only other guy that deserved minutes and that's because he can be trusted defensively.

20. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

If this was White's quote, I think it is more reflective of a coach who admitting that he can't get the job done. It sounds like someone who doesn't have answers. One year yes. Six years in a row of barely over 500 basketball shows acute deficiencies in coaching given the talent level of the team.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1