Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Gators vs Oral Roberts 2nd Round Mar 21 (Sun) 7:45 PM

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Mar 19, 2021.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I sorta went there above. His offense is not my favorite, but it is very common and his version is not some broken up half butted attempt at it.
    I have no idea if he pans out. I do know enough to know a lot of the reasoning thrown around here is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. chiozzatrask

chiozzatrask Freshman

Dec 13, 2020
    If the refs call a fair game, we win

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. tilly

What do you disagree with Bill? Where did I get it wrong? I explained, in a very brief way what his offense is. We did dominate the paint on both ends. Where am I wrong?

4. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    We had 5 turnovers after we went up 11, one of which was a shot clock violation because we couldn't be bothered running our normal offense. Basically the same rate that we turned the ball over the whole game. By changing our offense we cut our scoring rate in half, 11 points. That's the difference in the game. Slowing down actually made us more turnover prone.

We committed 14 turnovers and were up 11 points. After that we committed 5 turnovers and were outscored by 14.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I totally disagree with your assessment

his comment after the game alone about not being able to get players to do certain things is enough for me to know he is over his head

for tonights game some of what I posted is as you said inaccurate- but not for the whole season-for the whole season it is dead on

and that O you described is nothing more than street ball which is why at times we have 4 players just standing around and no one hitting the boards

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Expected after having a big game against VT. He has a pattern of big game..bad game..big game..bad game..average game..bad game big game..repeat. It took me a while to get the pattern with the average game mixed in between two bad games but I got it.

7. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I am not sure if Florida did enough to wear ORU's players enough similar to that Duke game whose starters played heavy minutes.

We will never know if going to a zone earlier when we tried slowing the game around the 10 minute mark would have worked or not since White elected not do that until the very end which may have been too, late.

8. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    Yea but everyone runs those same plays. So I would so go cheer for another team if you don't like it but sadly for you, the other teams run the same plays.

9. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    Most of those TOs were fouls though after that mark. If the refs call it right those aren't TOs

10. tilly

Mike had an offense that dominated them. He coached a team that controlled the boards. His team played an OT game, he said we were tired and knew the calls were going against us. He coached a balanced offense that had nice movement with 4 guys in DD.

If the refs play fair we are not having this discussion because it was one or our best statistical games in a very long time.

11. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I do not have to like it and do not think it is sound ball- your comment is like me trying to tell my parents when I was growing up-well Jerry does it

• Like Like x 1
  12. tilly

If Billy coached the exact same game tonight this place would be in full on Swindle meltdown, saying exactly what some of us are saying about White.

How can we dominate every basic stat (sans TO's) and still lose?
    It was FT's man.

Mike did fine tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  13. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    and yet in the last 5 minutes with a big lead we went into a hole(happens way to often with a MW Coached team)
    no matter how you want to shape it(and yes the refs were terrible)-this loss is sitting right on the shoulders of MW

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    No because I am not your parent. It is like telling you as a co worker to go find another pen in the office we work in. I am sure you will find a fancy looking pen but guess what, it is still a pen. Lol...so yea go find another pen (basketball team) and use it (watch it) but you will find the same thing at the end of the day. It is about the execution that is the difference my friend imo. But suit yourself..go ahead. Lol

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl

your opinion, but I doubt it would have happened - Billy D had a fundamentally sound team every year - if we lost it was usually because the other team was better than us

if our players cannot play 2 games within 2 days then I question our conditioning as well

you can make all the excuses you want- we are a poorly coached team

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl

you are funny

I love the Gators just not the HC of our basketball team- if my saying that bothers you oh well

• Like Like x 2
  17. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He's soft...and that's the worst part.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    I am not giving MW a pass on the coaching at all..I am saying the sets are the same with most of these coaches these days for whatever reason. Call me old school but I loved Billy D high ball screen pick and role game. Make sure the guy with the OPEN shot takes it no matter what. Now, there are pros and cons to it as well. The cons is that it doesn't really create an Alpha male type of player that can get his own shot when needed. However, it allows all the players to touch the ball and move without it. When players were standing around, Billy D would be screaming to the top of his lungs. I was just giving you a sad reality of what college basketball has become on offense. I don't like it either but I still watch it with frustration

• Like Like x 1
  19. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    He coached a Muschamp game. He let the air out of the ball, and it bit him in the ass. The issue with that type of game is if everything doesn’t go according to plan, then you end up with a loss.

The other team is gassed, you are gassed, but you are scoring more points. You have 5+ days until the next game. So do you slow it down, or keep the pressure up? Play to win, or play not to lose?

This team is not good in a slow it down mode. It’s the reason for all the scoring droughts. So what do we do? Slow it down and play to the weakness of our team and the strength of the opposing team.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    Sadly