Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Gators vs Oral Roberts 2nd Round Mar 21 (Sun) 7:45 PM

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Mar 19, 2021.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    this comment tells me his players have no respect for him

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Yikes...what is he trying to convince us of? That he can't teach or motivate the players that he recruited and signed? It seems like this isn't the first time his final presser after our 2nd Round flameout has included a similar statement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    He knows he blew it. Same crap he pulled when we played Duke a couple years ago when we were up 14 and he slowed it down with 12 minutes to go. From that point forward I knew he wasn’t ever gonna be the coach Florida needs if they wanted to be mentioned in the top 25 each season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Sadly I’m not there yet. I wish I were.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Just a bad feel for how the game was going...we had them on the ropes and the only way to let them back in the game was to pull back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    CMW has repeatedly shown he's a very good coach. He either doesn't teach the intangibles or doesn't know how to teach them. He needs to get rid of whoever runs analytics because that person isn't showing him that his slow down strategy doesn't work. He needs to get rid of the coach that can't teach bigs fundamentals like boxing out. Until CMW makes some changes he's going to continue to run hot & cold with the result that he's just a better than average coach.

7. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Another Florida coach had the foresight in his game plan to change from a pressing, man-to-man defense to a zone defense. This was a game when 5 Florida vs 1 Duke was played.

That could save a team's legs and they would have enough energy to focus on executing an offense.

8. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    His logic sounds similar to the Duke game 3-4 years ago. We were running them out of the gym, and then slow it down towards the end of the game and lose. That seems to be his MO, and I am not sure that will change.

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I don't disagree with you. We have turnover prone players, so this is exactly what we've come to expect. I don't think when White recruited them he was thinking, "These guys are going to turn it over a lot."

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GATORJV

GATORJV Senior

Oct 10, 2014
    I'm not sure I agree with this take. For example, I was at UF when Werner was there. Werner would do some truly terrible things in the game. I'm sure Donovan had his respect. I personally think by the time a player gets to D1, they are what they are and how hard they work/confidence (IT factor) is what matters. I'm not saying players don't get better, but I do question how much credit or not we give coaches for development. A lot of our players play the same styles they did in high school and were known for. I don't think a coach is going to change that this late in their careers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    All I know is this, I am not watching the tournament until ORU is destroyed and FSU is out. Until then I am focusing on my family, yard work and other hobbies. We should be in the sweet 16 no doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  12. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    You don't think situational coaching is an issue? We have the same droughts over and over. Great. We won the first 90% of the game like so many times before

• Like Like x 1
  13. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    You can't zone ORU with those shooters but I get the point you are making

14. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Wow, we overcame so much this year, then the Gators got me excited for more. We need physical players that can work and get inside, because when we play prevent, they stop our shooters and we can’t get inside, and get this, finish. To be fair, a good year after KJ went down. I know all of us are glad KJ still has a life and can decide what he is going to do. It is hard not knowing, who is going to stay, who is coming in, and where do we go from here? Here’s to another long off season!

• Like Like x 4
  15. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I've enjoyed your insight throughout the year and look forward to starting over again next season.

• Like Like x 1
  16. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    BTW, what happened to Scottie Lewis? His disappearing act has David Copperfield blushing.

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Well it didn’t work smh

18. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Okay, so Mike White needs to talk to whoever is in charge of the drills the team is doing. Hopefully he can figure out who that is and make the necessary changes.

19. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Huh? None of those things were issues tonight.

we constantly give up the baseline
    Not tonight we didn't.

We constantly allow other teams to drive the lane
    ORU only had 7 layups all night some on putbacks.

We constantly put up 3’s with nobody under
    Not tonight we didnt.

We constantly do not go the the boards
    We dominated the boards tonight.

If you can tell me what MW’s actual offensive philosophy is please do
    Ball screen motion/Dribble drive

Dribble drive from the 1-2 spots mostly, but also from 3 and 4 at times.
    He also likes a 4 out Ballscreen motion.
    His offense is not some weird unheard of thing. It is a slow developing offense and many mistake that as "nothing".

We constantly go into a slow down where whomever has the ball dribbles around until there are 5 seconds left on the shot clock and then come
    No we don't. Generally we are running multiple ball screens with multiple touches. The idea is not to create a million shots, it is to create open ones.
    We may settle the ball down with a lead (most coaches do), but our set offense is basically the same.

Mike may not be the right guy for a program of our stature. His clock is ticking, but he is a smart basketball coach and quite respected by his peers and others in the ranks. People who have never coached or played the game often don't know what they are watching.

Mike has holes in his game and in his scheme. But it is just basketball ignorance to not understand that he does have a scheme.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I mention that exact game in another post. I knew in that very game that he didn’t have it as a coach and never will. He is a play not to lose type coach and not a play to win coach that we need to put it in simple terms. You can see it in his demeanor, his body language, his interviews, it is just who he is. He’s a competitor, don’t get me wrong, but he is too easy going. Most coaches start working the refs hard when the calls are going against them. Some say that White works the refs but I simply don’t see it like I did when Billy was at Florida. I saw Donovan talking to the refs every time they were within earshot. Don’t see it happening with White.

• Agree Agree x 1