Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Gators vs Oral Roberts 2nd Round Mar 21 (Sun) 7:45 PM

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Mar 19, 2021.

1. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

If my count is correct, we took 10 shots in the last 10 minutes. That is inexecusable. We had 4 players in double figures. They had 2. A double digit difference in fg%. Why did the coaching staff shut the offense down with 10 minutes to play????????

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    At some point, this falls on the coaching staff. That tired excuse of blaming the players can be made EVERYWHERE in coaching. There are only so many 4-5 star players to go around, and if you can’t get those star players, then you need to be able to coach up the talent you do get. There are 2 possibilities here.

1.) They have been recruiting players with low basketball iq for the past 6 years.
    2.) They don’t do a good job of coaching the players to improve their basketball iq and decision making.

I lean towards #2 because even though the players on the court have changed each year, the offense and decisions made by the players remain very similar. If each group of players makes the same mistakes as the previous groups did, then that points to a coaching issue being more likely than it being the fault of the players.

As an example, I point to the football team under Mullen. The same players on offense that couldn’t get out of their own way under Muschamp and McElwein, suddenly performed much better under Mullen. Good coaching can overcome low basketball iq and put players in the best position to succeed.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This would be because coach recruited, coaches, and plays his guys.

It’s not like we just had a bad turnover game out of nowhere. It’s been crazy bad all year. Didn’t we have 17 turnovers in a half recently? There was a stat shown during the game that we had 10+ in EVERY game for the first time since 1998-1999. That is not a good stat. You don’t want to be breaking streaks or records for negative things. Maybe not McElwain losing the winning streak to UK bad. But bad.

That being said, I accepted during the year that Appleby and Mann are turnover prone guards. So some level is understandable when your guards are “playmakers”, and you need them to be. But it’s hard to win while giving away 20 vs. anybody. I also think turnovers are a thing that coaches schemes can impact, some of the turnovers are because White basically doesn’t have a coherent offensive scheme (or tried to install some stuff mid season). Sometimes our guys do stupid stuff like drive into the corner and pick up the dribble. Or Castleton just doesn’t recognize double (or even triple!) teams, tries to dribble into them. These are basketball 101 things coaches should coach up, but it happens over and over and over again.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. 31g8r

31g8r All American

Oct 20, 2013
    Tilly

at the half we were up 5, we were fluid and the pace favored us. After 8 minutes ORU was starting to lose their legs. We kindly decide to allow them to rest on defense and and they nail 3 3s down the stretch. 6 more minutes with the team in transition even with turnovers would have favored us and yet we choose to run clock and let them rest.

As for objectivity, the officiating was trash and we played into it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    i do not agree - we play like we practice
    That is up to the coaches to correct

this is on MW

we constantly give up the baseline
    We constantly allow other teams to drive the lane
    We constantly put up 3’s with nobody under
    We constantly do not go the the boards
    If you can tell me what MW’s actual offensive philosophy is please do
    We constantly go into a slow down where whomever has the ball dribbles around until there are 5 seconds left on the shot clock and then come away empty

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    The ORU coach is thanking his lucky stars we slowed the game down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GATORJV

GATORJV Senior

Oct 10, 2014
    Here you go.

#Gators coach Mike White, asked about UF slowing it down, says "we were tired...you have to cover so much of the floor defensively...I thought that part of us slowing it down would help us settle in with the erratic mistakes we were making.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

• The Elbow to TA's face?
    • 3 illegal screens in like 10 minutes?
    • A blocked shot out of bounds that the ref gave to the guy who blocked it?
    • AD getting called in the air on a 50/50 ball?
    • Two guys mugging CC on that loose ball underneath?
    • Mann getting trucked on a drive, but we get called on a tick tack on the kick out?

That is just off the top of my head.

Have you ever seen a neutral site game where the less athletic team had such a FT discrepancy?
    Have you ever seen a team dominate FG% and rebounding by OVERWHELMING numbers simultaneously get calls that uneven?

I know I never have.

I was honest in my thread that this was a pivot game for Mike. I have said I think this year is a pass, but next year is make or break. I have not bent over backwards to defend him overall.

But tonight? In this game? He outcoached the other guy. His team played better. Yet here we are.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  9. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    There isn’t any doubt that he was out coached. We had the better team, was beating them on the boards and scoring easily but he makes them slow it down with five to go. Horrible decision and having Osifo in at crunch time was yet another mistake. The Gators were beating ORU and playing with confidence and the slow down killed our momentum. That’s just the plain truth of the matter. I was hoping we would win, and we should have. But White managed to snatch a loss out of the mouth of victory.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Nawlens Gator

Nawlens Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    "Why did the coaching staff shut the offense down with 10 minutes to play?"

Oral Roberts was a better team, and better coached. Turning the ball over as much as we do it's a wonder we even made it to this game. Turn over problems should have been corrected months ago. we need a good coach!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. GATORJV

GATORJV Senior

Oct 10, 2014
    #Gators coach Mike White on turnover ratio down the stretch: "It destroyed us. It's been our biggest issue all year. I don't know if there's anything else we could have tried in terms of motivation or film."

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Serious question. Did you not notice at about the 9:30 to go mark that we started running clock and didn't get into the offense until 10 seconds on the shot clock?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    How about a new direction

14. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Come on Mike White..you've beaten better teams than freaking ORU lol..VT being one of them. He always slows it down and it is frustrating to watch

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    The coach needs to teach them these things. It's been more important than any other aspect this entire year.

16. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Lol..sighhj

17. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Did I say that he did not?

You did not answer my other post?

Why did not Mann & Lewis , White's two 6'6" 5* players, not drive to the basket more often and make the refs call fouls on ORU?

What happened to the fabled Dribble drive offense?

18. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Do you think it was a good strategy to basically stop running the offense. He was running some fantastic plays in the early part of the 2nd half, and then at the 10 minute mark the offense was shut down.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    ha! I happened to take a picture of that exact moment because my daughter was born at 4:44 and I thought it was a good sign.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  20. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Drills to increase focus & awareness. Get some sports psychologist to come it & teach focus. Film work & running sprints because of turnovers only goes so far.