Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Gators recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by cubangator, Jul 9, 2020.

1. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    By the same token....we lost a veteran starting QB, both all American DE and their primary backup, our most experienced reserve CB, a DT in the 4 man rotation, our starting RG, and our best safety for all or parts of the season. We probably got lucky that other than DE we had guys step up, but that's part of it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Nope. didn’t say that. What I said is that we continually get outbid. It’s not from a lack of effort. We just don’t play that part of the recruiting game very well. We are 5-7 years behind everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Whether top 50 or not Baby Hendo was a steal right from their back yard. And let's not forget Wingo from STA who was one of the top LB in the nation and was a border line 5*. Let's give them their dues along with Bogel and the other south florida kids who are gators.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    True. Khris also got VALUABLE playing time last season which i hope translates to bigget success this year. And yea we got Wingo and X which i think both can contribute early....especially X.

• Like Like x 1
  5. graylon

graylon Premium Member

Sep 27, 2018
    I'll give it you.. technically you have a point but if anyone has a decent eye for football could tell you Alabama had more talent... I am taking the REAL point of view... Starting the 4 guys picked in the first round...

6. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think that was the original point....they had more raw talent (probably more than anyone) but it didnt translate to games. There's so much more to winning games than just that one factor

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    We kinda had injuries to the most important positions in this offense and this defense, so we should have zero sympathy for their ranking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    No sympathy as i said it's no excuse

9. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    If anything this shows that South Florida kids will stay home when the usual bags aren't being dropped by UGA and Bama.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Try dropping the attitude - my post was simply stating that we didn’t have a great o-line in 2018 or 2019 and that’s probably part of the reason top flight RBs aren’t flocking to UF yet.

It really isn’t any more complicated than that

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You make it sound like recruiting is the coaches’ only job

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Fwiw I would venture to say that 99.9% of schools’ pitches are to kids that are 2-3 hours away.....

13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don’t buy the claim that recruiting at our current level will produce 10-win seasons simply because that’s what we’ve seen so far. CDM and staff have produced two 10-win seasons with serious holes and weaknesses on the team.

They’re filling those holes and adding much-needed depth - like when a Greenard or Zuniga (or both) goes down. We are able to draw on DB backups better than McWilliams getting torched by Fromm. We aren’t banking our hopes on a Feleipe Franks because he’s the only proven QB and his backup hasn’t started a game his entire football career. And our o-line has to be better because it couldn’t be a whole lot worse.

We are deeper and better balanced now (on paper anyway) than we have been the past two 10-win seasons. So why can’t we win 13 without a herd of 5*?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And year two oline was definitely worse. Not showing improvement in year two kept the rbs going elsewhere. It certainly isn’t the development of Perine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. supduc

supduc Freshman

Nov 30, 2016
    I don't think that's impossible, it's definitely harder to be a consistent contender without them, especially in an SEC schedule. I'm definitely happy with the solid numbers in the trenches and the coaching so far from Mullen.

Everyone seems to like to compare our recruiting with Clemson's #10ish ranked classes from a few years ago as a case for development and consistent coaching, but the fact is they had less initial attrition with their classes and were combining their 3* developmental guys with the occasional elite high 4*/5* difference makers for a few years and only had to run through an ACC schedule.

We are going to do well consistently with this recruiting, and I'm happy we don't look like trash on the field anymore, but we won't be consistently great until it steps up. It's frustrating to see schools with less to offer make more progress, faster, in recruiting high level athletes. Great coaching with good players gets you great players, but great coaching with great players gets you rings.
    There are a lot of great coaches at low level schools, why aren't they sending more kids to the league? Why isn't a school like UT Martin competitive when playing UF?

Talent levels of the players throughout the roster.

I think that is most people's gripe as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    we might have a great roster, but we also might have some OL, DL, WR, LB, S, TE issues. Hopefully our guys can take the next step.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. graylon

graylon Premium Member

Sep 27, 2018

My point is they need to do more of it...

It's really just a couple.. BUT IT ALL STARTS WITH MULLEN

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I
    I'm interested in seeing how we do at LB this year. Every game or series that Reese was out while he was here, we missed his on-field leadership (see Kentucky two years ago). Looking to see who steps up to be the field general of the defense this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    I wonder how the recruiting web sites gets their CB, because i doubt it that they get inside information from the universities or from the players.directly.

20. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I remember it like it was yesterday when we stole. lowly ol' 3 * Reese from michigan and the gripes that followed his commitment when in reality his HS stats told the tell. He avg like 110 tackles a year in HS. I knew he had a nose for the ball. And it continued they college.

• Winner Winner x 1