Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Gators recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by cubangator, Jul 9, 2020.

1. graylon

graylon Premium Member

Sep 27, 2018
    We will agree to disagree Alabama was the 5th best team last year... they may have finished 5th but if I'm lining our team up against theirs last year you bet your ass I'm taking Alabama over our team... Even thought Auburn beat them bett
    You and I think exactly the same way.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. graylon

graylon Premium Member

Sep 27, 2018

I've said the same thing

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    You can build relationships & recruit your ass off all you want ...but when you are out bid by another program then you will lose most of the time. This has nothing to do with not recruiting hard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Lots in this post....
    Bottom line-it is still possible to have a pipeline area…we just haven’t done that lately and if you say Locking down a region is an important I disagree wholeheartedly. The Jacksonville area is a perfect example as there are several big-time recruits coming out of there every year. Just look at the last 3 to 4 years and then even look to the next few years with kids like Singletary. This is an area that is extremely local and that we did very well in years past. No reason we shouldn’t grab 2-3 and maybe 4 from this area in some years. Burke was a big get for more reasons than being a very good hs receiver. Singletary is huge and a kid that imo is a must get.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Of course the city of Gainesville doesn't produce UF caliber of athletes in abundance like the city of Miami does which is why being able to have a footprint in the surrounding areas of Gainesville is a must. Why? Hell if we aren't landing elite prospects OUTSIDE of that bubble, then you damn sure better be doing that with athletes that are in your bubble. THAT'S why it's important. If we were landing the best of the best from the state of Texas, Georgia, NC, SC, etc, locking down central Florida wouldn't be that big of a deal to me. As it stands, it is and it should be. And obviously the staff thinks that too with them in 2018 to present trying to build a Lakeland pipeline (Hammond, Graham, Dexter, Summerall, Zipperer) while targeting Bowman, Mojo, Dennis, Smith, McCall, etc.

Recruiting and how it is has changed. I'm not denying that, everyone KNOWS that. You don't HAVE to stay as local as years past obviously but if you are trying to recruit nationally for elite targets and NOT winning those battles, then going more local within your reach is the more realistic approach.

Overall, to me, it just starts at the top. We both agree recruiting needs to get better for us to make THE LEAP and how to go about that is what needs to be examined and fixed. Mullen has to make changes. 10-12 win seasons are nice, but they dont win you titles anymore. It's 13-15 games that the new benchmark and standard

6. graylon

graylon Premium Member

Sep 27, 2018

So you're telling me that in the last 2 years that Knox has been outbid for every recruit he's tried to recruit? You telling me that John hevesy has been outbid for the guys that have transferred away from him and the guy who cant get a visa on top of the recruits that totally disregard him...

Florida passing the law permitting kids making money off their likeness takes away the out bidding excuse...

Dan Mullen has put an emphasis on Strength and Conditioning and scheme... Which is great I LOVE ME SOME NICK SAVAGE... My favorite coach by far... Dan has not put as much emphasis on recruiting... I know the budget is not like the elites... you can't tell me he believes that Greg Knox and John hevesy recruiting is acceptable. Like I said it's more on him than it is on them.. Dan has to find a way make kids want to play for him.. it's almost like those 2 assistants are recruit repellents.. lol

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  7. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    UF doesn't have a significant talent "bubble" around it unless you include Orlando, Tampa and Jax which I believe is optimistic at best. We're the closest decent program to scUM and we're 270 miles from the northernmost border of their "bubble". NTM way more to do down there than Gainesville. And probably way more perks too. But of course way way fewer perks than in gumpland.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    My two scents (spelled correctly for dramatic effect):
    We have recruited well enough at the high school level and from the portal since Mullen has gotten here to get to the playoffs (given we are much better at developing the talent than we were under the two previous regimes).
    What we need Now is one QB1 to play at the Tim Tebow/Cam Newton/Deshaun Watson level, and one DL to wreak havoc on opposing defenses and disrupt opposing offenses on every running or passing play. I think our D-Line with Gervon is set. Is EJ, AR15, or CDR the guy who can push us over the edge on QB to take it all? We will see.

With the surrounding cast, we now have a combination of talent and DEPTH that we have not seen since the Meyer years (albeit, I agree, not as talented at a recruiting service star level).

• Like Like x 2
  9. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea I was saying basically I4 needs to be a UF recruiting stomping ground where we lock down a few of the top players from that area per cycle. And i'm realistic, i'm not saying the top 5 players from the Orlando area NEED to be Gators or the staff sucks, i'm saying 2 out of the 5 should end up in Gainesville especially if they're interested in UF. Don't care how great Bama has been with WR's from the state of Florida recently, we needed to get Leary as he has that speed that we lack at WR imo.

Even last cycle with Jax having Chanz Williams, Jalen Rivers, Fred Davis, we weren't able to get them. And trust me @crl I KNOW that it isn't add water and stir and we "getting errrbody!!!" when it comes to recruiting, I just wish we COULD get more of the elite kids that reside along I4 to come to Gainesville. I guess THAT'S my overall point and wish when it comes to recruiting (and it's probably a bit of personal bias since i'm born and raised and live in Jacksonville lol)

• Like Like x 1
  10. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Someone has a new profile pic. ^^^

I hope no one took my advice and bet their life savings on my predictions. ha.

I'm really not surprised by the CB's for the Palmetto kids to Miami. I also don't think it's final. Lets see what happens during the season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    That's all we've EVER said. It starts at the top with recruiting. And NO one is saying that our recruiting is bad, NO ONE is saying that. What we've always maintained is that our recruiting CURRENTLY, if it stays in the range of being in the 10ish range yearly is going to yield you an 10-11 win ceiling which DON'T win you conference or national titles anymore. And THAT'S the standard that Mullen himself set day one when he was hired here.

Fans can't sit here and knock the OL last year but get mad at the fans who follow recruiting for saying the OL pledges we have not just aren't going to get the job done against the teams that we need to overtake to win the SEC. The "it's not easy to evaluate OL talent when it comes to recruiting" IS TRUE, but it's damn sure easier to evaluate when you bringing in a few ELITE OL. Look at the DL pledges that our two yearly obstacles, UGA and LSU, are bringing in and then look at our OL pledges and commits and you tell me who's getting the better end of that comparison.

You can't say recruiting doesn't matter when we had a more talent along the OL in 2018 and preformed better with LESS time with the new staff than the 2019 OL who had MORE time with our current staff who did not perform close to the 2018 OL.

Like I said, i can give Knox a "pass" as weird as it sounds because as @Wanne15 will often remind me till he's blue in the face lol (you the homie, so take that as a joke and compliment for being able to reel me in at times), that you can have Zeke Elliot at RB but if he doesn't have the OL to give him SOMETHING to work with, he's going to look average. Put Perine behind UGA's line, and he's drafted in the 2nd round this past draft lol.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Hahaha, yea had to go ahead and update the profile. You know...in a weird way, I HOPE Marshall and Taylor DO pop to Miami sooner rather than later, and it looks like they will, so we can go ahead and get ahead of it NOW and expand our board at that position. This not dragging out helps the staff know where they stand with them and now they can go hard after other prospects.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. policegator

policegator Freshman

May 20, 2020
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I heard with his height, he may grow into a FS

16. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We finished higher ranked than Bama, IMO vs a more difficult schedule.
    Common opponents, they lost to Aub and we beat them. We beat UT by more, they beat So Car by more, we lost a close game at LSU and they lost a close one at home.
    There really isn't much to hang your hat on to argue taking Bama over UF last year, unless you just want to take the negative view.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Triangle theory hard to use in sports

18. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, but there really isn't much else to use. Like I say, not much to hang your hat on when arguing they were better....just not much to support it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I see it's still "WHAAA, WHAAA, WHAA we're not grabbing every overrated 5* in the country WHAA WHAA WHAA"..... On this board....

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    True. Bama was raveged by injuries last year and had to play/start a lot of freshmen BUUUUUT that's NO excuses when everyone always "Bama back ups can start anywhere in the country" talk people love to spew

• Like Like x 1