Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Gators recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by cubangator, Jul 9, 2020.

1. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    There is no doubt that the Florida Gators have a problem recruiting elite football players, specially in the state of Florida. So whats the issue, coaches that can't recruit? facilities? or both?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    IMHO generically recruits think like this in decreasing importance:
    1) Can the program develop me as a player? Do I like my coach?
    2) Will the program take care of me as an individual? (includes financial, disciplinary cover ups, luxury facilities, academically challenging or easy depending on player, etc)...aka "does it feel like a family?"
    3) Can the coaches convince me that I'm important to them? This is a mix of depth charts, and recruiter charisma, but its essentially convincing the recruit that they will play on an acceptable timeline.
    4) Of the programs actively recruiting me, which can best elevate me as a brand (who gets tv time and attn, who is successfully keeping their players out of the news for non-football things, who is likely to get into the postseason)
    5) Is the travel time acceptable to family? If far from home will there be assistance in getting family and friends to games?

I'll leave it to others to grade us out. But I think OP's answer is on how we answer those priorities

3. elijah_blue7

elijah_blue7 Senior

Aug 20, 2018
    Because UF is no longer Elite in my opinion. Two coaches that should never have coached here destroyed and devalued the program, which Mullen is trying to build from the bottom up again. Are things getting better? Absolutely. But if programs can consistently come into your state and take Elite players at will year after year, sorry you ain't elite buddy. The Clemsons, Bamas, LSU, OSUs, and Georgias of the world for the most part keep their elite instate, but waltzes into FL and grab Elite players year after year

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I will say Yes to all 5 items, except I will ammend #2. What other extra perks me and my family can get (without NCAA's knowledge of course). ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    It has to be more than that, I can see Alabama Clemson and Ohio state, but Georgia and LSU has been elite 2-3 years max.

6. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's most of it. Both LSU and UGA have averaged 10+ wins a year for 20 years. Both in top 10 in guys to the league last decade. That's pretty elite and a lot of time with credibility on HS campuses in FL.

World passed the Florida schools by while they dicked around perfecting mediocrity. The others came in to feast. Too many good kids and no qualms about going out of state when every game is on TV.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    I won't disagree with it, but coaches needs to recruit and UF has 3 or 4 that can't recruit.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So you already had the answer you liked when you posed the question. Gotcha.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    Dude i don't have all the answers, thats why the question, but coaching recruiting is part of it, however for sure your view point isn't the complete answer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Jun 10, 2011
    When your facilities are trash as of today, you need elite recruiters. We don’t have that. When you aren’t willing to play the game and pay for recruits, you need elite recruiters. We don’t have that. When your head coach isn’t known as a good recruiter he needs his assistants to be elite. Again, we don’t have that.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Maybe you should apply. Do you... have that?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. thesilentforest

thesilentforest Sophomore

Jul 2, 2020
    Dan Mullen is an excellent coach. He has done a marvelous job in turning football around. Unless the program falls off a cliff no one should even consider a change. My 'negative' on him is he retains coaches who have little ability to recruit. Is this due to friendship? Is it due to a lack of quality recruiters who also have the ability to excel as a position coach? If friendship, some higher authority needs to have a powerful heart to heart with him. If a lack of available quality coaches, money almost always seems to talk.

Re: distance. The internet has made this an almost moot point. Players are much more willing to attend out of state schools than in the pre 2000's. Aside from family /friends traveling to games, players can talk to anyone on a daily basis. I believe many schools are positioned to bring family/friends to games. Does Florida not have boosters who can overcome this issue?

Bottom line it falls on the recruiters and boosters. Coaches must have an outstanding personality to impress a recruit. They must be part comedian and part salesperson. People who make you laugh are easy to be around and recruits remember them. The 'salesperson' in them should be getting their commitment while the recruit is in stitches. Boosters need to make it worthwhile for the player to see the advantage of attending Florida. Legally of course.

13. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    I've never believed the financial part to be a bidding war like some here. If it were, you'd see every kid doing the drama queen thing, playing schools off each other for as long as possible. I'm also not blind, I see kids with fancy cars and parents get great jobs, that are otherwise unexplained. But those are the 5-stars, and not even all the 5-stars play into that game.

For most recruits its small dollar donations to help out. I've got a traffic ticket I need help paying off, or my mom's car is about to repo'd and needs help with a payment, or just a little spending money to show my gf a good time. The kind of thing a family does for each other.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Nope.

15. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    We can compete for a title with top 10 classes, so long as we have an elite QB. Considering CDM is the QB-whisperer...I like where we're at.

Do I want top 3 classes? Yes.

But I don't think we're a 2nd tier program either - we're a 1B program. Not elite yet, but very dangerous.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. recongator

recongator Junior

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah I’m sure Nick Saban is the life of the party
    BTW cool username

• Like Like x 1
  17. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    This could not be more true with regards to facilities. Jeremy Foley pouted and huffed, promised and and re-stated that we would not get into a facilities arms race with the SEC elite. He failed to realize that a facilites arms race was not a choice he could make, it was his obligation as the top AD in the conference.

That proved to be a fatal mistake that could not minimize the impact of Muschamp/McElwain. Not only did UF lack elite coaches, we lacked elite facilities, dorms, stadium experience, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Do they still do the $100 handshake? Just kidding. I know what you meant.

19. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    All things being equal it boils down to the cachet and charisma of the man doin the recruiting. I can’t imagine recruiting being all to different than picking up women, just sayin

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    Talking about facilities, has the new one started going up?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1