Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

JUST IN: Florida Gators MBK Hire New Assistant

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by harnettgator, May 11, 2018.

1. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

By: Eric Fawcett

The bizarre saga that has been hiring an assistant coach has been completed as the Gators have hired Al Pinkins, most recently of Texas Tech. An experienced assistant with 14 years behind the bench he is seasoned veteran of the coaching craft. His resume reads like this: 2003-11: Middle Tennessee State, Assistant Coach 2011-14: Ole […]

Read more here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    @33hoop can now sleep better at night.

"Pinkins is known to be an excellent developer of players, particularly big men. Quality big men coaches are the rarest form of coaches in the college ranks these days and securing one is a major get for Coach White and company."

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Thank you!

5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Will be interesting to see if there’s an immediate impact with the play of the bigs.
    Maybe he can help develop a play or two FOR the bigs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    If this new assistant can develop Hayes, he will be worth his weight in gold.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Okay, so if Pinkins will be expected to spend most of his time in Gainesville on player development, then who fills the role of chief assistant/lead recruiter (which I believe was going to be Gates' job description)?

8. Efawcett7

I don't know for sure but it could easily be Mincy or Nichols. Both have been rockstars on the trail. And Pinkins could still be the recruiting coordinator who helps organize things.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Efawcett7

That will be interesting to see. Given our large sample size of seeing a guy like Hayes play it will be interesting to see what a summer with Pinkins does for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Efawcett7

Hayes is a great defender but man, did he ever struggle to score last year. If Pinkins can help him drop in a baby hook consistently when he's got a small on him and generally finish better around the rim, Pinkins will instantly look like a sage to me

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Absolutely and as always. Really appreciate the insights and contributions of all the GatorCountry contributing writers and staff. Thanks for getting this article out so quickly @Efawcett7 and for staying on top of this whole Gators MBK Assistant Coach (revolving door) news cycle!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gotta love the seemingly 24/7/365 coverage of all the gator sports these days.
    Having moved beyond just a gator football fan awhile ago to (virtually) all the gator sports, I appreciate the coverage. I need the coverage and info. I yearn for it. @Efawcett7 could write an article on gator hoops and I’d devour it daily! We need to get him a house across newberry road from the Gator hoops practice facility!

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Efawcett7

I might have to start a GoFundMe because that would be the dream!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    This probably doesn’t answer your question, but Pinkins had a heavy recruiting role TT.
    He has significant georgia ties, and was the lead recruiter of khavon Moore. In fact, I’ve heard moore family is none too pleased he left.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    @Efawcett7 ... Eric, I saw your article relating to the above.
    I have heard of him not being happy Pinkins left, but I am sure he has signed. I think it is too late for him to flip, no?

16. Efawcett7

I believe he has signed, as you said. They would need coach Beard at TTU to let him out of it.

17. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    I'm sure he is a good hire. Coach White is really good at gathering quality Assistants.

Regarding Big Development, it's one thing when you're working with kids like Ayton, Bagley or Porter, and a completely different thing when you're working with kids like Gak, Basset, Stone or Stokes. Personally, given the recruiting rankings of White's Bigs - 24/7 had Stone (82), Hayes (93), Basset (290), Gak (248), Johnson (85), and Stokes (123), none of whom were anywhere near the Top 50, and 2 of whom were nowhere within sight of the top 200. Egbunu was by far the highest rated Big the Gators have had, at #60, and Leon was also unknown (CC Transfer rated like #12, not very high for CC).

That these lowly rated Bigs have managed to develop as they did tells me that my primary question about Coach White - Can he develop bigs using only former PGs as coaches? has been answered positively.

Clearly, the Gator Frontcourt is nothing like Kentucky, Duke or North Carolina, where incredible Athleticism allows them to dominate opponents, but given their status, they've proven very competitive, even against the top competition. For 2 successive years, the top big man on the squad has been out (2016 tournaments, 2017 all year), and in 2017, half of the Gator Bigs missed the entire season.

I think big development, although vital, is not White's problem at all. If he has one, and I don't think he does, it's not being able to recruit any Top 50 bigs.